Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

They're actually good for my acne. I'm allergic to them and become so violently ill, I don't give a damn about my face anymore.

Sorry for the non-functional answer. I've just had so many horrible experiences with them (they're hidden in a lot of foods) that if somebody asks something about eggs being bad, I'm physically compulsed to respond.

Actually . . .

Maybe some people's acne is a function of a more low-grade allergy? I've heard it's somewhat common. Cutting them out would cure that. Cutting them out also can be rough, especially when eating out.

There, that's my BS answer.

its the tremendous amount of Omega-6 in them...

too much omega-6 is proinflammatory and stuff thats not good for acne... thats why people take Fish oils to balance out omega-6 with omega-3

read the Fish oil thread... (its pinned in this section)

too

much

omega 6 !

if you indulge in eggs, nuts, seeds, cooking oils (including EVOO) frequently then you might as well not even bother supplementing with fish oil because it will not make a dent compared to the huge omega 6 intake

unless you like popping 50+ fish oil pills daily or drinking half a bottle of fish oil

a while back i started eating 1-2 eggs daily (not the grain fed variety so higher omega 6 content) and i definitely noticed my inflammation and oil increasing after a few days, then i read up on the insane 6:3 imbalance in western society and i made the connection

too

much

omega 6 !

if you indulge in eggs, nuts, seeds, cooking oils (including EVOO) frequently then you might as well not even bother supplementing with fish oil because it will not make a dent compared to the huge omega 6 intake

too

much

omega 6 !

unless you like popping 50+ fish oil pills daily or drinking half a bottle of fish oil

too

much

omega 6 !

And yet there's no correlation between inflammation and high nut consumption.

Remind me of those people that said that omega-3 are bad because they're unsaturated and therefore easily oxidized within the body. Eat only saturated fats, they said, otherwise you will increase your rancidification and oxidization. Only that actual studies revealed no kind of increased oxidization in people increaseing their fish intake on the other hand saturated fat was correlated with an augment of oxidization and free radicals.

Now not only population who consume nuts on a daily basis have hugely lower incidence of all aging marks and metabolic diseases but nuts have been shows to have anti-imflammatory properties.

Once again I feel compelled to repeat that "things are more complex and less black and white than they may seem". A high daily intake of nuts decrease all the markers of inflammation.

By the way the San population of Africa living near the desert consume mostly nuts, vegetables, some fruits and small amount of meat. Their diet is 70% nuts. Researches on this group show they are among the healthiest population on earth free of all metabolic and degenerative diseases we know (from diabetes to decays) and also absolutely acne free.

http://tinyurl.com/2chtmo

http://tinyurl.com/39pllr

The nutritionist Monica Reinagel has created a system called "the IF index" which rate the pro-imflammation power of food. As she says there are many many criteria and factors whose calculation reveal the real inflammatory power of a food.

For example certain food might be slighlty inflammatory on theory and yet other factors (like the high content of anti-inflammatory compound) allow them to be rated as non-inflammatory. This may explain in part the discrepancies between real inflammatory effect of food on real trials versus the simple hypothesis based on their fatty acids ratio.

look Danny i agree with you

but this is an acne forum

i would GLADLY consume lots of nuts, seeds, eggs, oliver oil, etc. frequently because i have also have read about them and they have numerous health benefits each and they would actually allow me to start gaining weight again instead of this screwed up restricted version of the paleo diet

but i'm goddamn 25 years old and i'm so sick of this shit and these days i look at the condition of my skin before the condition of my body when it comes to food choices

i thought i would "outgrow" it by this age and be able to eat any whole foods i want without any adverse reaction (the ONLY actual food type that i have any significant sensitivity to is soy) but it seems my pathetic liver won't let it be that way so i have to throw in tons of restrictions and improve my skin at the cost of my body

does that sound like an extreme view ? well at the age of 25 i guess it is

i would GLADLY consume lots of nuts, seeds, eggs, oliver oil, etc. frequently because i have also have read about them and they have numerous health benefits each and they would actually allow me to start gaining weight again instead of this screwed up restricted version of the paleo diet

but i'm goddamn 25 years old and i'm so sick of this shit and these days i look at the condition of my skin before the condition of my body when it comes to food choices

i thought i would "outgrow" it by this age and be able to eat any whole foods i want without any adverse reaction (the ONLY actual food type that i have any significant sensitivity to is soy) but it seems my pathetic liver won't let it be that way so i have to throw in tons of restrictions and improve my skin at the cost of my body

If nuts break you out then you're right in removing them from your diet.

But I like many others don't break out from nuts just like for example cjb doesn't get break out from milk. But it's not a rule that nuts and olive oil (because of high omega-6 contant) must necessarily promote inflammation. In fact it appears they don't, but that doesn't mean you should ignore the fact that for YOU they're not ideal.

Are you acne free from your paleo diet now? And what paleo diet you follow?

A healthy diet, and a diet which attempts to limit acne are 2 completely differant things.

The list of foods which can affect some peoples skin are extensive, however many of these foods are amongst the most nutritious.

Personally i feel that whilst there are many people who say this, this and that will stop any acne, the effects on individuals are so varied, and causes are extensive. I personally dont feel that anyone can be tested or 100% justified in what they feel causes their acne, its not black and white, whilst the elimination of one thing from ones diet may help an aspect of ones skin, i doubt that many actually know what changes the body has gone through to achieve the clearer skin, and often people find that there were more than one variable at that time which can account for the improvement.

To date many health care professionals still maintain that food has no effect on acne, and honestly i cant see how there will be any insight in there near future especially with many ideas in the past, the results are so individual and varied between each person that one would have to take into account hundreds of variables to determine what needs to be done in one individual case alone.

I think you can do your best, and hope one eventually grows out of it.

does that sound like an extreme view ? wel at the age of 25 i guess it is

If nuts break you out then you're right in removing them from your diet.

But I like many others don't break out from nuts just like for example cjb doesn't get break out from milk. But it's not a rule that nuts and olive oil (because of high omega-6 contant) must necessarily promote inflammation. In fact it appears they don't, but that doesn't mean you should ignore the fact that for YOU they're not ideal.

Are you acne free from your paleo diet now? And what paleo diet you follow?

I don't think my diet is excessively restricted, I just don't eat a lot of processed foods, it's all whole. So I eat a lot of meat and fruit mostly, and sometimes some greens. I was thinking of adding in nuts after reading about that group in Africa who's diet is 75% nuts and have no acne whatsoever. I'd have to find out which nuts they're eating, they might be hard to come by in America. Maybe not though. It's not that I had decided not to eat nuts before, I just don't tend to eat them usually, so I don't really consider that a restriction.

Infact, on my new diet I'm actually eating a lot more than I used to. It wasn't intentional, I just didn't like dealing with food really, so I had to make an effort to eat more on this diet. So it really doesn't feel restrictive to me.

A healthy diet, and a diet which attempts to limit acne are 2 completely differant things.

The list of foods which can affect some peoples skin are extensive, however many of these foods are amongst the most nutritious.

Personally i feel that whilst there are many people who say this, this and that will stop any acne, the effects on individuals are so varied, and causes are extensive. I personally dont feel that anyone can be tested or 100% justified in what they feel causes their acne, its not black and white, whilst the elimination of one thing from ones diet may help an aspect of ones skin, i doubt that many actually know what changes the body has gone through to achieve the clearer skin, and often people find that there were more than one variable at that time which can account for the improvement.

To date many health care professionals still maintain that food has no effect on acne, and honestly i cant see how there will be any insight in there near future especially with many ideas in the past, the results are so individual and varied between each person that one would have to take into account hundreds of variables to determine what needs to be done in one individual case alone.

They might be a problem for some people because eggs are pretty high in iodine, which can cause acne flares when the excess iodine is excreted through the pores.

There in lies the problem. Everyone is differant in what they eat, the amount they eat, and the effect of differant foods on their body.

To determine a holistic approach for each individual would require each person to adress their specific needs.

Lets for example use the paleo diet for example, there are many who have gone onto this diet with varied sucess, however its a difficult conclusion to adress because although there is claims of being on the diet and having improvements, one doesnt know (as you mentioned) what ratio of food is being eaten, what exercise is being undertaken, the persons physical structure, the fluid consumption, the sleep patterns, or any known dietry defiencies.

I think to get an acurate reading of what benefits are made from a specific approach, one has to first determine their own needs, and take into consideration every variable, In that light it makes it easier to recognise what has caused change, for the positive or negative.

Oh, for God's sake! Eggs are bad? I thought they were good so I just started eating more. Seems like everything is apparently bad for the skin. There's nothing left to eat if you eliminate everything that's meant to bad. I dunno. I think I'll just keep a food diary and see how my skin goes. Hopefully, effects of certain foods differs from person to person as some people have mentioned.

^^ On a completely random note, that picture which i presume is yourself looks like that American actor Rachel Bilson from the OC.

^^ On a completely random note, that picture which i presume is yourself looks like that American actor Rachel Bilson from the OC.

The more I experiment with diet.. the more I think acne for a lot of people is sensitivity to an anabolic state... or excessive state I guess. WHich is why Grains are pointed as the culprit often, because the Insulin is a HIGHLY anabolic hormone... I think even on the paleo diet I use.. the fact that I eat 6 times a day with resistance training, screws any chance of getting clear.

Essentialy it is an excellent Cutting diet...

Just an idea however... I'll have a better idea after a few more weeks...

wow, i never heard of this..

i only eat cage free/vegetarian fed eggs and while I'm sure that doesn't make a difference Omega6 wise - I have never had a problem eating eggs..now I eat maybe 1 or 2 a week so It's not like I eat them everyday.

very interesting.

Oh, for God's sake! Eggs are bad? I thought they were good so I just started eating more. Seems like everything is apparently bad for the skin. There's nothing left to eat if you eliminate everything that's meant to bad. I dunno. I think I'll just keep a food diary and see how my skin goes. Hopefully, effects of certain foods differs from person to person as some people have mentioned.

Sometime when people are on a restricted plan they think of "could be better" as in "making it stricter". Often though "making it better" is about going off the restrictive wagon and rethink the whole approach. For example in my experience most consider a paleo diet as inherently meat-based and poor of anything else (but this of course is far from the truth as seen by the studies of Boys Eaton). On the other hand several hints (like Orac index, micronutrients density, magnesium-calcium and phosphorous-sodium ratios) suggests that an abundance of greens and vegetables is the most paleo-compatible strategy for an healthy skin. I have seen and hear of people great success with an intake of 1 pound of raw veggies/greens and 1 pound of cooked veggies/greens plus green smoothies, but most paleo eaters I know or have discussed diet with have a veggies/green intake of less than 1/2 pound a day (the better one) and way less to almost nothing in many other instances.

Then there's the problem of seeing diet and detiary needs as fixed and static rather than changing according to the changing conditions of the person.

So for example inflammation is not just about what pro-imflammation we eat versus remove but also what and how much anti-inflammatory compounds we get from food and how the pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory compounds react with the variable conditions of the body (especially visceral fat and body weight). The first aspect of an anti-inflammatory approach is to lose weight but not WEIGHT, visceral fat. Most thin or even apparently underweight people are actually FAT in that they carry mostly visceral fat.