Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
grushenka

Do you think Accutane might work for me

Hello everybody! I have acne that just seems to be impossible to eradicate but I'm not sure if I will be able to get Accutane for it. I have tried antibiotics, prescription topical meds, dietary changes, and OTC treatments like niacinamide (supposed to be about as good as bp) and zinc supplements.

Generally (and right now) I have clear skin on my forehead, nose, and cheeks, except for a few blackheads around the nose; no whiteheads, and usually 2-6 pimples, either on the chin, under the chin, or just below my nose. The problem is they are always the large nodular kind. I don't have a lot of scars, but I do have a few. The main problem that I have is that they are so painful. I leave them alone, and with the niacinamide they usually go away over a week without surfacing or scarring. They leave behind red marks that slwoly disappear over two months or so.

So at any given time, I have several red marks, a few nodular bumps, and several blackheads. My skin is also oily in general and the pores are rather large. Do you experienced people think this would be appropriate to treat with Accutane? Or would a doctor not find it serious enough? I suppose it is better than when I had them all over my face, the changes I have made have helped, but it still kills my self confidence and is really uncomfortable.

That sounds like you might be a candidate for accutane. You have cysts, not just a few pimples. Cysts respond well to Accutane.

You say you've some scarring. Most derms will consider that as evidence your acne is severe enough to warrant a course of Accutane.

That sounds like you might be a candidate for accutane. You have cysts, not just a few pimples. Cysts respond well to Accutane.

You say you've some scarring. Most derms will consider that as evidence your acne is severe enough to warrant a course of Accutane.

Thank you. I guess my only other question is - if my acne consists of only a few spots, but those are big, painful, and nodular, will the side effects of the medication be less intense or my dosage be lower? I weight about 110 lbs. and I am nervous of the side effects as well as having a breakout much worse than my normal breakouts, but I really want to clear this up.

Or does it not make a difference whether or not you have multiple types of pimples, and the dose and side effects are basically the same?

Thanks again for any help.....

Thank you. I guess my only other question is - if my acne consists of only a few spots, but those are big, painful, and nodular, will the side effects of the medication be less intense or my dosage be lower? I weight about 110 lbs. and I am nervous of the side effects as well as having a breakout much worse than my normal breakouts, but I really want to clear this up.

Or does it not make a difference whether or not you have multiple types of pimples, and the dose and side effects are basically the same?

Thanks again for any help.....

Going in to accutane, my acne was mild to moderate. I weighed 120lbs and took 40mg my entire course. My side effects were pretty mild.