Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
itsmekeff

Has anyone heard of Sciton?

hello....I just received an email from a plastic surgeon in my area after asking him if he performs fraxel and he said he does something that works better than fraxel and it is called Sciton. I wasn't sure about it so I looked it up on the web and the before and after pictures are pretty good so I was just wondering if anyone here has had it done or has heard of it before. thanks in advance..

keff

hello....I just received an email from a plastic surgeon in my area after asking him if he performs fraxel and he said he does something that works better than fraxel and it is called Sciton. I wasn't sure about it so I looked it up on the web and the before and after pictures are pretty good so I was just wondering if anyone here has had it done or has heard of it before. thanks in advance..

keff

I went to a plastic surgeon who I would come to later decide that I didn't like very much, which doesn't say anything about sciton, but she said the same thing about it in comparison to fraxel, and I probably would have done it but she was a bit of a nut in my opinion and wanted to do lots of other treatments, different ones, fillers, peels, etc and ultimately made me feel like she just wanted my money. But anyways, I couldn't find really anyone who had tried it just a few people who were asking about it. So, I don't know, but that was my experience with it sorry I can't be of any help really. you can go to their website, sciton.com and read about it. But it doesn't says much about acne scars from what I remember.

... I probably would have done it but she was a bit of a nut in my opinion and wanted to do lots of other treatments, different ones, fillers, peels, etc and ultimately made me feel like she just wanted my money. ...

thank you guys so much for your inputs. I hope all goes well with your sciton procedure. I would really love to hear how it turned out. are you scars as bad as mine? I have asked that question a couple times and every time they say 'no'. so I am convinced that I have the worst scars on here. I am also convinced that nothing is going to help them. but we'll see.

I have found that when you know about many different procedures, then it makes it easier not to get suckered by those money hungry doctors. also, when you are well informed about those procedures, I have found that you may know more about the latest procedures than your own dermatologist which is a little disconcerting. sometimes dermatologists are buttheads. they have been my only doctor so far (consistently too) that don't seem to care or even want to listen to you and have the least amount of time to look you over and prescribe something else. buttheads.

Keff, I agree with what you said above. My hubby doesn't want me to do anything about my scars and asked me if I'd consulted my GP & dermatologist about the treatments I'm considering. That would be the GP who, when I asked, said, "Ohhhhh, they have some kind of new laser...can't think of the name of it..." "Fraxel?" I offered. "Yeah! That's it!" She is obviously very current on her knowledge (not that I'd expect her to be! It's not her specialty.) And my derm had told me "There's no way that Fraxel could make it any worse," but I've read postings here from at least one person who believed it had made theirs worse.

Actually, your scars are very similar to mine. Most of my deeper ones are lower, near the jaw, and my shallower ones are scattered all over the rest of my face. I guess they are called boxcars. I have some scarred pores too, but I don't think I have any rolling or icepicks. Hard to tell because I'm older & the aging process has made the scars look different. I'm in the process of taking "before" pictures to post.

After more research, I'm thinking about having needling instead of Sciton. Have you looked into that? I don't understand why the interest seems to have died down because from what I've read here, people have had very good success with it. Most are doing it themselves, but I want to have it done by a PMA (for one reason, needling 50-100 scars myself would take me the rest of my life!) I think having my whole face done will cost less than one Sciton treatment, and it takes more than one Sciton treatment to show great improvement.

The only thing I have heard about needling and deep scars is that it is only temporary unless you have a filler for under it, and even then, most fillers are temporary. I would love to try it if it works. so if you do get yours done, let me know how it went. actually I may ask my doctor about trying it on one of my scars to see the effectiveness. :surprised: we can compare.

After more research, I'm thinking about having needling instead of Sciton. Have you looked into that? I don't understand why the interest seems to have died down because from what I've read here, people have had very good success with it. Most are doing it themselves, but I want to have it done by a PMA (for one reason, needling 50-100 scars myself would take me the rest of my life!) I think having my whole face done will cost less than one Sciton treatment, and it takes more than one Sciton treatment to show great improvement.

I knew that fillers are temporary, but I thought needling gave permanent results. (At least, "permanent" in the sense that the results don't disappear after a few months--it hasn't been around long enough to really tell.) Well, I'd probably try anyway. I'll certainly post the results, whatever I end up doing!

I knew that fillers are temporary, but I thought needling gave permanent results. (At least, "permanent" in the sense that the results don't disappear after a few months--it hasn't been around long enough to really tell.) Well, I'd probably try anyway. I'll certainly post the results, whatever I end up doing!

yeah, needling is supposed to be permanent, but I have been talking to a guy for almost a year who has had almost every treatment imaginable, and he said that usually you will notice results right away, but since you lift the scar up, without a filler, it has a tendency to fall back down. so a filler underneath the scar is a good idea, but I don't know if you can get a permanent filler in the united states. I haven't looked into fillers that much cause if I did decide to do it, it would be a permanent filler and I am just a little scared of a doctor filling it too much and making it lumpy.

I have a new derm who has several Scitons, but is now interested in purchasing the new ProFractional model, which has pixels of energy beems and column of thermal injury a la Fraxel.

I told him I had have several fraxels so he wnated me to be part of demo by Sciton to his group. Anyway, I had a small sqaure treated at two settings (100 micron depth) about 1 hour ago. Unlike Fraxel, this ablates the surface, so I could smell the skin burn. There was no need for numbing cream as it apparently is less painful than fraxel and of course, I had low settings.

My guess is that this machine is less expensive and the cost for treamtent will be less. My derm is in the Silcion Valley, very close to HQ for both Sciton and Reliant. He seems to think that Sciton has good lasers, but a less active marketing group than Fraxel.

By the way, my scars have been classified as mild as to depth with moderate quantity. If you have lots of scars, I think laser is the better option. I looked into needling, and there were lots of peolple that reported negative results on these boards. There were also those who great success.

sheryllynn and billyboy, thanks for your input! There's no sure thing for anyone, is there. [sighs heavily] I'd pay good money to anyone who could just tell me what's guaranteed to work for me. I think I'll try the cheaper thing first (needling) and work my way up.

Hope you'll post your Sciton results, billyboy--and best of luck on that!!

Keff, it seems like subcision would be a great thing for you. Your scars seem to be more concentrated in a small area, and I understand that the Dr. can treat a pretty large "swipe" around a single incision. If you find someone who does subcision, will you post? (or PM me) I couldn't find anyone & I'd still be interested too. Thanx!

sheryllynn and billyboy, thanks for your input! There's no sure thing for anyone, is there. [sighs heavily] I'd pay good money to anyone who could just tell me what's guaranteed to work for me. I think I'll try the cheaper thing first (needling) and work my way up.

Hope you'll post your Sciton results, billyboy--and best of luck on that!!

Keff, it seems like subcision would be a great thing for you. Your scars seem to be more concentrated in a small area, and I understand that the Dr. can treat a pretty large "swipe" around a single incision. If you find someone who does subcision, will you post? (or PM me) I couldn't find anyone & I'd still be interested too. Thanx!

I can't say, as there has not been fair comparison. Profractional was a free demo on 1 square inch last night at low settings. It is erbium, ablative with fractional dots of injury. In theory, it sounds like it is similar to the new partially ablative fraxel (I think they call it repair). Again, in theory, ablation together with deep thermal injury should be more effective than deep injury alone. But, it has a higher risk. But, fraxel was riskless so maybe the partial ablation is needed to get results.

I am not sure if I am going to try. Not anytime soon, in any event.

I can't say, as there has not been fair comparison. Profractional was a free demo on 1 square inch last night at low settings. It is erbium, ablative with fractional dots of injury. In theory, it sounds like it is similar to the new partially ablative fraxel (I think they call it repair). Again, in theory, ablation together with deep thermal injury should be more effective than deep injury alone. But, it has a higher risk. But, fraxel was riskless so maybe the partial ablation is needed to get results.

i acutally got the sciton laser done. i didn't find it improved my scars that much. but the sciton did lighten up my skin which i didn't like at all. i went back to my derm and he said there is a new laser the sciton profractional laser that helps. I'm looking it on the internet before i decide to try this laser. I'm not sure but i saw some pics that showed some good results. I hope this helps u

i have a couple of deep ones but the rest are very subtle scars according to the derm. i was hoping the sciton laser will "get rid" of my scars but i was actually quite diasppointed. I found that after the sciton laser my skin got oilyier, and bumper at the beginnging. I'm asian so it lighten up my skin, making my face a lighter.

I was glad that i found this forum cause i get to read people's actual experience. so i would suggest looking around this forum to see what works before jumping into this laser. I did that and i regret not doing more research before doing sciton.

If you do decide to do sciton laser, you do scab up and stay red for a week before you can resume normal activities. I had to hide myself during the healing period.

By the way how bad are your scars?

to work for scars the sciton has to be used at a high level. that will cause heavy resurfacing, peeling, and chance for complications. Furthermore it wont go as deep as fraxel. your doctor is behind the times. look into the fraxel re:store and re:pair. i think its barbaric that anyone would get anything besides a fractional laser for acne scars in 2007.

i have a couple of deep ones but the rest are very subtle scars according to the derm. i was hoping the sciton laser will "get rid" of my scars but i was actually quite diasppointed. I found that after the sciton laser my skin got oilyier, and bumper at the beginnging. I'm asian so it lighten up my skin, making my face a lighter.

I was glad that i found this forum cause i get to read people's actual experience. so i would suggest looking around this forum to see what works before jumping into this laser. I did that and i regret not doing more research before doing sciton.

If you do decide to do sciton laser, you do scab up and stay red for a week before you can resume normal activities. I had to hide myself during the healing period.

By the way how bad are your scars?

to work for scars the sciton has to be used at a high level. that will cause heavy resurfacing, peeling, and chance for complications. Furthermore it wont go as deep as fraxel. your doctor is behind the times. look into the fraxel re:store and re:pair. i think its barbaric that anyone would get anything besides a fractional laser for acne scars in 2007.

Sciton introduced a fractional laser called Profractional in 2007 that will go to a depth of 1.5 mm. It is new so there is not much experience. Unlike the current generation of fraxel it ablates the surface at each pixel of thermal injury. I had a test patch done (in demo for my doctor by Sciton) but only to 100 microns. My new doc says he thinks this will be more effective than current fraxels for acne scars due to the partial ablation. He claims that his colleagues give fraxel low marks for scarring effiacy. However, I am deeply distressed by the lack of clinical data and photos for the new sciton. Fraxel is way ahead in terms of marketing and studies - and probably technology as well.

I really don't know which will prove more effective. I don't think skimpywimpy realizes that Sciton now has a fractional erbium laser simlar to fraxel so your doc may not be behind the times. Also, I have had many fraxels. My personal experience, like most others, is that it is not very effective. But it is an easy, low risk procedure.

the doctor I spoke with, I would agree, is behind. i've already looked a lot into fraxel, so I asked one plastic surgeon if he perfomed that procedure and he told me that he doesn't do fraxel, but something similar and better, called sciton. this is why I assumed it was non ablative. but from what I gather, sciton seems more like a co2 laser resurfacing as it smoothes the skin by taking layers off, instead of something that is like fraxel which damages the tissue under the skin to start collagen production filling in the indented scars. so, it seems as if this doctor isn't being completely honest. I dunno. I am notgoing to do anything before I do a lot more research. I don't want to waste my money or damage my skin even more than it already is.

the doctor I spoke with, I would agree, is behind. i've already looked a lot into fraxel, so I asked one plastic surgeon if he perfomed that procedure and he told me that he doesn't do fraxel, but something similar and better, called sciton. this is why I assumed it was non ablative. but from what I gather, sciton seems more like a co2 laser resurfacing as it smoothes the skin by taking layers off, instead of something that is like fraxel which damages the tissue under the skin to start collagen production filling in the indented scars. so, it seems as if this doctor isn't being completely honest. I dunno. I am notgoing to do anything before I do a lot more research. I don't want to waste my money or damage my skin even more than it already is.