Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SPIDER1981

The older you get....

Hey my fellow adult acne sufferers! I'd just thought i'd start a post to see if anyone else feels the same way i do about adult acne....

I'm nearly 26 and i find that although my acne is probably nowhere near as bad as it was when i was 16-17, it bothers me so much more these days. I find myself now almost having panic attacks over every little pimple or red mark on my face, but i'm sure when i was younger i could have had 10 times more and it wouldn't have bothered me much. I guess i can only put this down to a few things;

1. When you're young most of your friends have acne too, now i NEVER see anyone my age with spots.

2. At this age i'm concerned with things like work, meeting people, and i'm single so i have no confidence when talking to women.

Okay so they are the only 2 i can think of! But it bothers me so much now, it destroys my confidence and i don't even feel like talking to people sometimes. I just wish i could change my attitude and not think about it 24/7 and be like the way i used to be. I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same?

I'm so grateful my skin is under control now..for the most part but I agree with your #1. When my skin was bad I would never see ANYONE else my age with bad skin..not that I'd wish it on anyone, but it would of been nice to not feel like the only one.

i agree but in a similar way

back in january i made huge lifestyle and dietary/supplement changes and now i have much less breakouts and the size of bumps are much smaller as well along with less oil production

but my anxiety for new spots/inflammation has increased probably 10x since then and i really want to finish off this problem because i'm almost 25

as for people i just don't look them in the eyes whenever i speak to them, off to the side or focus my eyes on something nearby while talking

when everyone judges young adults by these poreless glowing wonders without blemishes that you see on ads everywhere it's hard to compare to that

I'm actually struck by how incredibly ridiculous it is that everybody our age has clear skin. Ree-dic-u-lous.

lol there is plenty of peopleon here with acne.

The problem is, i never see them. I rarely see anyone over 20 who even has the slightest trace of acne.

You start to wonder whether the whole 'growing out of it' things is a myth.

I feel your pain. I am 26, had clear skin until about 3 1/2 months ago. It has destroyed my confidence much more than acne ever did as a teen or even as a young adult in college. I also don't look people in the eye, avoid getting too close, avoid going out in sunlight (because it's so unforgiving), avoid seeing people. I notice EVERYBODY's skin now. All beautiful and clear. I also am newly single (got divorced in April) and it makes it very difficult to even think about meeting someone. I have had a BAD outbreak too. I used to fret about every little pimple when I first started breaking out a few months back. Now that I've broken out in all the cysts and my face is red and inflammed, and covered in red/brown marks, I don't think I'd care about a one or two pimples anymore. I'd die for that right now! But every new break out does bother me. I just wish it would stop.

I feel your pain. I am 26, had clear skin until about 3 1/2 months ago. It has destroyed my confidence much more than acne ever did as a teen or even as a young adult in college. I also don't look people in the eye, avoid getting too close, avoid going out in sunlight (because it's so unforgiving), avoid seeing people. I notice EVERYBODY's skin now. All beautiful and clear. I also am newly single (got divorced in April) and it makes it very difficult to even think about meeting someone. I have had a BAD outbreak too. I used to fret about every little pimple when I first started breaking out a few months back. Now that I've broken out in all the cysts and my face is red and inflammed, and covered in red/brown marks, I don't think I'd care about a one or two pimples anymore. I'd die for that right now! But every new break out does bother me. I just wish it would stop.

Yea its kinda true when you look at your peers around age 20+ only 1 in 10,000 seem to have acne. BUT, it could be that those with acne are probably like some of us in this forum, we're like social vampires we run away from the company of ppl and hide away. If you head over to the emotional and psycological part of this forum youll see its one of the most frequented by members, I would say no you not alone youre just one of us :turtle:

Hey my fellow adult acne sufferers! I'd just thought i'd start a post to see if anyone else feels the same way i do about adult acne....

I'm nearly 26 and i find that although my acne is probably nowhere near as bad as it was when i was 16-17, it bothers me so much more these days. I find myself now almost having panic attacks over every little pimple or red mark on my face, but i'm sure when i was younger i could have had 10 times more and it wouldn't have bothered me much. I guess i can only put this down to a few things;

1. When you're young most of your friends have acne too, now i NEVER see anyone my age with spots.

2. At this age i'm concerned with things like work, meeting people, and i'm single so i have no confidence when talking to women.

Okay so they are the only 2 i can think of! But it bothers me so much now, it destroys my confidence and i don't even feel like talking to people sometimes. I just wish i could change my attitude and not think about it 24/7 and be like the way i used to be. I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same?

Yep in the same boat too- almost 27 years old- finished a course of accutane just over a year ago and my skin was great for about 5-6 months after- during which period life was absolutely great! No problems in going out and chatting to people, being confident etc.

Unfortunately my oily skin has relapsed in recent months and things are almost back to how they were before I started accutane.

Acne/bad complexion is still not considered normal in our lives- in a way, for example being overweight is. Perhaps it because they aren't [relatively] many people with 'severe' acne.

Actually, when I was about 26 was when I pretty much quit worrying about it. And therefore didn't really try anything again until about 2 years ago.

Have you tried diet? Checked your allergies?

When I was a teen, I always figured I'd eventually outgrow my acne and was not very conscious of it. I'm now 26 male, and it only has gotten worse and made me more self-conscious. I think the hardest thing is that acne (and sustained adult acne especially) is like a permanent temporary disease if that makes any sense. You lose a finger, have a leg amputated, go bald, etc., these are all pretty much permanent. I don't want to offend anyone, some of these are much worse conditions and I would not want to trade for any of them. However since they're more permanent I think it might be easier to eventually accept them and come to grips at some point. With acne since each pimple is temporary and there are success stories there is always that glimmer of hope that maybe I will be clear again. Hence I never can fully allow myself to fully accept my condition and never just give up and live with it.

Instead, *JUST* this weekend I will stay in since those horrible red mountains above my lip will only make me miserable, and they will eventually recede. I will avoid getting a haircut for *JUST* a few more days until I improve a little so I don't have to sit there as embarrassed. I will avoid approaching that chick checking me out *JUST* this time because of my recent breakout, there will be clearer days and more chicks ahead. I've been living this Chinese water torture nightmare for 12 fucking years now, God help me...........

Actually, when I was about 26 was when I pretty much quit worrying about it. And therefore didn't really try anything again until about 2 years ago.

Have you tried diet? Checked your allergies?

I hate being 25 and having acne :( people i knew at 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 , 19, even 20 who had acne are now all clear and blemish free.

I've had very mild/mild acne on and off since i was 12... with long periods of having flawless skin in between periods of being spotty.

But 4 weeks ago i had the biggest breakout of pustular and cystic acne EVER... I was diagnosed with pyodmerma faciale/rosacea fulminans (it's disputed whether it's acne or rosacea, lol). And thanks to having asian skin (hyperpigmentation), I now look like I've had severe acne for years and years. So much damage in 4 weeks. It's hard to adjust mentally right now.

I just don't understand the stats i read about adult acne being on the increase. i live in London and see hundreds of people every day. and very few of them after 20 have a blemish, let alone acne.

I get a lot of compliments about how I look real young. But, I know it's because people I encounter don't see tons of 24 year olds with acne. The last few weeks, my skin has looked great. (Thanks Paula's Choice!), but I HATE when I have a good week, then head back to work Monday with a flare up. It's a big rollercoaster ride, and I'm ready to jump off of it!

I think the hardest thing is that acne (and sustained adult acne especially) is like a permanent temporary disease if that makes any sense. You lose a finger, have a leg amputated, go bald, etc., these are all pretty much permanent. I don't want to offend anyone, some of these are much worse conditions and I would not want to trade for any of them. However since they're more permanent I think it might be easier to eventually accept them and come to grips at some point. With acne since each pimple is temporary and there are success stories there is always that glimmer of hope that maybe I will be clear again. Hence I never can fully allow myself to fully accept my condition and never just give up and live with it.

When I was a teen, I always figured I'd eventually outgrow my acne and was not very conscious of it. I'm now 26 male, and it only has gotten worse and made me more self-conscious. I think the hardest thing is that acne (and sustained adult acne especially) is like a permanent temporary disease if that makes any sense. You lose a finger, have a leg amputated, go bald, etc., these are all pretty much permanent. I don't want to offend anyone, some of these are much worse conditions and I would not want to trade for any of them. However since they're more permanent I think it might be easier to eventually accept them and come to grips at some point. With acne since each pimple is temporary and there are success stories there is always that glimmer of hope that maybe I will be clear again. Hence I never can fully allow myself to fully accept my condition and never just give up and live with it.

I haven't seen any other adult acne sufferers in over 5yrs. But at 27yrs old I cope with the condition far better than I ever have in the past.

I think this is a due to having more in life to stress about as an adult..especially having children helps you to gain perspective. Its my two beautiful daughters that gave me the reality check. I have to set an example of how to 'hold your head up high' and participate in life. Ensuring they grow up with as much self esteem as possible is my number one parenting goal.

People suffer from all sorts of issues, you can choose how you let them effect you. Dont get me wrong, I do my fair share of avoiding brightly lit rooms but life is too short to spend it angry or depressed.

My advise, fake it 'til you make it. Pretend you dont care what you look like, or what other people think...eventually you may just start believing it. Life is so much brighter when you do! :D

Wow, you guys are like my family! I'm turning 26 in about a month and my acne is just as bad as ever. I always have hope that I'll some day conquer my breakouts, but I'm afraid the scars I have accumulated have really damaged my quality of life. I had only a couple a few years ago and now my face looks horrid. It's cost me friendships and relationships and I know it will continue to due so in the future. There is nothing worse to me than remembering what I had, and now knowing that being permanently scarred will keep me from ever getting it all back.

I agree, Im 23 and have had acne since the age of 14. This is my mildest form of acne yet but the one I have most concern over. Its always on my mind, if I book a holiday I always wonder: Will my skin be nice this time? This year I have promised myslef not to even book a holiday untill this vulgar disease is completley cured!

I think when a person gets past 21 it is very rare they have acne. Im 23 and none of my friends or work mates have acne. I find it very embarrassing going into work and being the only person in the enitre building with bad skin. When your a teen you dont really notice it as everyone else your age also has bad skin.

you want to know why we have these rollercoaster rides of emotion and anxiety and despair with acne ?

BECAUSE SOCIETY AND MEDIA DEMAND THAT YOU LOOK PERFECT ON THE SURFACE OR YOU ARE A WORTHLESS HUMAN BEING NEVER TO HAVE FRIENDS OR RELATIONSHIPS

sorry for the caps but seriously the public can keep claiming "i'm not that shallow, ads have no effect on my perception"

bullshit, i say the same thing but if the same message and images are beaten into your mind you eventually succumb to the proposed ideal that everyone must have perfect looks

with my completely stupid and insane idea that BP was a good thing for me left me with a dozen redmarks that will probably last for years and my facial skin will never heal again ever

don't even get me started with those who preach "you never know what you have until you lose it"

of course, it's goddamn human nature to take everything for granted, i could be crippled or dead or in a coma ? should i sit down and contemplate this all day that i am not in that condition ? no, goddamn waste of time

:redface:

Wow, I feel really old and scarred after reading this thread..I'm now thirty four and just getting clear (w/out accutane)for the first time since like age fifteen now.

Most people didn't notice it much, or were too nice to say anything to my face about it I guess. I got very good at hiding it with makeup over the years....

Now my goal is to be able to go without. Stupid redmarks are making that difficult though.

I hope we all find answers to our issues.

I did, & still do feel pretty alone with my acne problems though, so I understand your point of view.

I can't tell you how comforting it is to hear other people in similar situations to me.

Not that I'm glad people suffer from acne :( but I do too feel pretty much isolated with this problem. Because my condition started so suddenly, 90% of my friends don't really know what's going on with me. I've been making so many excuses not to see them because I guess I'm not ready to talk about this with them (let alone actually face them).

I think in some peverse way, going through this kind of problem (especially in such a looks orientated society) means maybe I and other people will come out of it 'bigger' people. All sounds very hippie and hug-yourself-and-others, I know, lol. But I really do think this despite being as vain and preoccupied with appearances as the average person.

i just had my 28th birthday, and i have had acne since i was 13. I dont remember how i felt in the begining, as it was sooo long ago. but i cannot say enough how much i hate it now. i try not to think about it most of the time, sometimes i thought i'd want to give up everything to have clear skin. i especially hate people asking me, 'what happened to ur face? have u been to the doc?' yeah, rite, if i could ever find out what is actually causing the breakouts, i wouldnot have any at all! As what i wrote in my post before, i never have any bad habits, no drugs, no drinks, no fast food. i sleep a lot, at least 8 hrs a day, drink a loooot of water, wash my face twice a day, change my pillow case almost every day. it is sooo unfair when i see my friends with perfect skins yet with all kinds of bad living habits and all. i read other people talking about changing diet and all, but i hv nothing to change as i have always living a healthy life already. sigh.... my mum had very very bad acne when she was young, and it left her with rough skin and marks. when am i going to grow out of it at all?

the BP gel helps to keep my ance under control so far. its been about a months. my skin doesnot dry much, especially since i start to follow other people's advice to exforliate. i still have one of two big zits, and i find it taking more time to get rid of the big bumps now than before. i feel like that for the big ones to go away, the stuff inside has to come out. but the BP tries to fight again it to make it go down. As to me, the big zits eventually have to come out, which now takes more than 2 weeks.

btw, i just got my facial brush, have used for about 2 days. havenot noticed any different yet, will update after a week or so i think.:)

Yes...I totally feel that way.

It bothers me more now than as a teen cuz back then I thought I would grow out of it. I thought it was temporary...now I wonder if/when I will ever grow out of acne.

Also, the older you get & still have acne, you realize you will never have those ideal skin years like some people. You know, those years in your 20s where a pimple is rare & wrinkles haven't set in yet. Even if I do grow out of acne, it will probably be right when I start to get wrinkles! :wall: