Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sickofscars

Diamond Wand Microdermabrasion

Hello All,

I've been performing some research online regarding a new technique in microdermabrasion using a diamond wand and vacuum which delivers a more controlled exfoliation than the old crystal peel method. I have my first appointment next Monday.

Here is the manufacturer of the diamond wand:

http://www.newapeel.com/index.htm

It claims to help scarring and acne and is non abrasive. If you call them and tell them your location, they can tell you if any aestheticians in your area carry this machine. Many aestheticians don't even know about this new microderm method! I called some directly and they had no clue.

I hope you find this informative and I hope it helps with my pits and uneven skin tone! I expect to have at least 6 treatments until I see some satisfactory results. I'll keep you posted.

well, i'm not sure which is the best way to go. i tried to get the microderm done before the SB, but their first available is Monday and my SB appointment is this Friday. So this first time I'll be getting the SB first. What is recommended? Thanks

Last time I went to the Dermatologist, he said that they found N-Lite (another non-ablative laser) was more effective if they did microdermabrasion first. That would probably be the order I would do it.

I'd ask your Derm just to be sure though - It could be that since this microdermabrasion technique is different than most, that the protocol is different for it in conjunction w/SmoothBeam.

Obi did opt to have this done before his first smoothbeam, but I think he thought it was a waste of money....I can't remember him raving about it and I think he is NOT doing it before his other smoothbeams. Just a different way for doctors to get our money, lol.

I'd invest in the Perfect Complexion Microcrystals....I think they do the same thing for much, much less money....

I have read that some form of exfoliation would make all not ablative (NLite, smoothbeam etc.) lasers MORE effective (easier to penetrate).

But the exfoliation should ideally be done the same day or the day before the laser ...

You don't have to use microdermabrasion (it's a nice way for derms/docs to make an extra bit of cash) - you could do a home peel (lactic/glycolic), use the home crystals, use papaya soap ...

Microdermabrasion isn't the only way - so I agree very much with Smiling eyes..

I've had several NLites, and on the morning b4 my appointment, I always do something on myself to ensure my skin is well exfoliated,

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

Yeah,

i did this before my first smoothbeam.

I've never had microdermabrasion before, but the diamond peel supposed to be 'less messy' than the microdermabrasion due to the crystals...and they 'supposed' to be more effective than the basic microdermabrasion.

Nothing too special. The only thing it will do is just to exfoliate the dead skin.

My derm told me it was a good idea to do it before the smoothbeam, then 1 month later, he said it didn't do anything at all to the scars (I'm like why the heck did you want me to do it in the first place? ](*,) )

Don't get me wrong- diamond tone dermabrasion is ok if you'd like to get rid of dead skin without heavy chemicals, but it won't get rid of scars.

Also- even though doing the microdermabrasion before the smoothbeam might help the laser penetrate your skin better, this is NOT the case with doing peels before the smoothbeam.

I made a mistake of doing glycolic 30% the day before my SB (i figured, save some money instead of doing the diamond derm). Bad move, as it might be one of the causes for my hyperpigmentation that lasted about a month.

Diamond tone microdermabrasion has been out for quite some time. As per Obi, it is less messy, but it is also safer than crystal microderm due to inhalation of the crystals, and also crystals being embedded under the skin.

I doubt microderm, be it crystal or diamond ones will do anything to scars. It might make the scar look better, but certainly not level the surface of the skin.

Essentially, my problem is hatch marks from stitches and unlevel borders of the scar, in addition to indentation. So my problem is many fold. I hope with microdermabrasion, it can smooth the cross marks and uneven borders. I know it most likely will not help with the indentation, thus the reason for Smoothbeam. I just wanted to explain my personal reason for doing this and I believe I have a unique case. I agree that it will not cause the indentation to level with the surrounding skin, but that's not my reason for having microdermabrasion done.

Also, for those who have had DIAMOND microdermabrasion performed, how many sessions have you had? I believe, it takes at least 6 sessions to see improvement, and of course, this is on a case by case basis. If you've only had one or two sessions, then I highly doubt you would see much improvement in the appearance of the scar. Again, it will not increase collagen production in the indentation, perhaps smooth the borders.

The truth is, microdermabrasion CAN help raise indented scars - but most aestheticians and derms don't use it aggressively enough. If you can get them to draw a little blood, so the scar bleeds, then scabs .. that will definately increase collagen ... if just used to exfoliate, you can't expect much eh?

That's interesting Maya. I wanted to give it a try as there is a place that has what they call "medical microdermabrasion" when I rang them they said that basically it gives the same results as other ones, but much faster as it is more aggressive. They also do subsicion in conjunction with it, if needed. After reading other posts on microderm, I wasn't gong to bother, but do you think it might be worth a go?

That's interesting Maya. I wanted to give it a try as there is a place that has what they call \"medical microdermabrasion\" when I rang them they said that basically it gives the same results as other ones, but much faster as it is more aggressive. They also do subsicion in conjunction with it, if needed. After reading other posts on microderm, I wasn't gong to bother, but do you think it might be worth a go?

Thanks Maya

I am fair-skinned, so that's cool. I didn't tell my derm I was thinking about Microderm, but when he was talking about various treatments he said "Some people might say you need microdermabrasion, but it doesn't even apply, you need to get 'right in there'" But to me having subsicion is "getting right in there", so if I did that in conjunction with microderm, I'm sure I would see at least some improvement.

Donna

Totally agree Donna - I think some aggressive microdermabrasion combined with subcision will show some good results. Good luck!

I have had microdermabrasion (crystal) in the past (over 2 years ago) and did not see any results on my acne scarring.

Now, I am getting microdermabrasion along with the Cool Touch laser. I am seen results. The technician is pretty agressive and she is using the diamond machine.

I was told by the doctor, before I started treatment, that the ones that the spas use are superficial and do not work as well.

My acne scars are improving. I have mild (superficial scarring).

The combination of the two are working well together.

By the way, I have olive skin.