Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NdnRomeo

What are we doing so wrong :(

I hate going in public places like the mall and seeing seas of people being clear. There were literally only three people, out of the sea of people I saw yesterday with acne of any kind, and all being much less than mine. When you see something like that, it just makes you wonder, is there something wrong with me? Why are they so pristine on the outside and I'm not, am I doing something completely wrong? Maybe I'm a defective human or something. :( I just had to vent, it's stupid and I can't take it anymore.

meh, i used to think this when i was a lil younger and used to get breakouts, but on the other hand, half the people i saw with clear skin were ugly as sin anyway. What i have noticed, and this is being totaly honest, that the ones with mild/mod acne looked better anyway, as they would make more of an effort with their appearnce, nice fashion sense, hair all styled and looking cute, sure acne can hit self asteem hard, but isit forever? hell no, the clearskined ones who lack features, shall always be like that, clear or not. So chin up =)

I hate going in public places like the mall and seeing seas of people being clear. There were literally only three people, out of the sea of people I saw yesterday with acne of any kind, and all being much less than mine. When you see something like that, it just makes you wonder, is there something wrong with me? Why are they so pristine on the outside and I'm not, am I doing something completely wrong? Maybe I'm a defective human or something. :( I just had to vent, it's stupid and I can't take it anymore.

I notice other people's skin all the time too. Although, I've sort of noticed the opposite - more people I see at work have (or have had) acne at some point. I can think of at least 8 people at work who I have seen with mild-moderate acne at some point over the last 2 yrs, and several others who at least get the stray zit here and there. One had a moderate inflamatory acne problem about two years ago and said she had been having on and off problems since her mid-30s. She is clear now, but I would say she was consistently broken out for at least 6-8 months last year. Another of my coworkers has mild inflamatory acne on her chin - I referred her to my esthetician a few months ago. There are also a few others at work with notable acne scarring, and a few with rosacea.

I think its hard to compare yourself to strangers at the mall, because you are only seeing them once (and generally not standing too close) - they may be clear that day, but may have had acne a few months ago, or may have recurring acne problems that come and go. If you saw me passing by most days, you wouldn't think I have had an acne problem either, but I have.

I notice other people's skin all the time too. Although, I've sort of noticed the opposite - more people I see at work have (or have had) acne at some point. I can think of at least 8 people at work who I have seen with mild-moderate acne at some point over the last 2 yrs, and several others who at least get the stray zit here and there. One had a moderate inflamatory acne problem about two years ago and said she had been having on and off problems since her mid-30s. She is clear now, but I would say she was consistently broken out for at least 6-8 months last year. Another of my coworkers has mild inflamatory acne on her chin - I referred her to my esthetician a few months ago. There are also a few others at work with notable acne scarring, and a few with rosacea.

I think its hard to compare yourself to strangers at the mall, because you are only seeing them once (and generally not standing too close) - they may be clear that day, but may have had acne a few months ago, or may have recurring acne problems that come and go. If you saw me passing by most days, you wouldn't think I have had an acne problem either, but I have.

aww Pat *hugs*

I used to feel really ugly about my acne, but then I noticed that no one notices your acne!!! (well most people dont)

about a year ago I was completely clear thanks to DKR, and my friends (who I'd been friends with for like 5 years) couldn't believe me when I told her that I had acne, I had to show her my gallery (And if someone here has seen it .... :shifty:)

but seriously, what would happen?, people look at you and think "oh he has a few spots", and then they leave and will never ever think of you (lol that sounds kinda sad), people forget, and the worse part is that we don't, we keep things like this even tho they hurt.

You're an amazing guy and I hope you feel better soon, *hugs* pm me if you need to talk. :D

And to add to willow's observations: likely you saw them at their absolute best with tons of makeup on! Very few women go to the mall without pulling out their entire arsenal of makeup and applying it lavishly. The men who were breaking out badly probably just stayed home and hid. Same for the women.

At work I know several women and a few men who break out regularly and have active acne currently. I wonder if we didn't work in such a horrid environment if we would all of us have completely clear skin... We work in a nursing rehab center with many bacteria hovering about us daily, every minute and every second. It is also a very stressful environment and I have noted a correlation between stress and acne for myself personally. There are more of us in this one small environment that break out than one would think compared to a similar statistical sample of any other environment where I have ever worked. And I have a work career as varied as any writer, artist, or actor. :) (Retail sales, secretary, cashier, camp counselor, babysitting, tutoring in english and psych at college, receptionist, night auditor at hotel, front desk receptionist at hotel, waitress).

aww Pat *hugs*

I used to feel really ugly about my acne, but then I noticed that no one notices your acne!!! (well most people dont)

about a year ago I was completely clear thanks to DKR, and my friends (who I'd been friends with for like 5 years) couldn't believe me when I told her that I had acne, I had to show her my gallery (And if someone here has seen it .... :shifty:)

but seriously, what would happen?, people look at you and think "oh he has a few spots", and then they leave and will never ever think of you (lol that sounds kinda sad), people forget, and the worse part is that we don't, we keep things like this even tho they hurt.

You're an amazing guy and I hope you feel better soon, *hugs* pm me if you need to talk. :D

And to add to willow's observations: likely you saw them at their absolute best with tons of makeup on! Very few women go to the mall without pulling out their entire arsenal of makeup and applying it lavishly. The men who were breaking out badly probably just stayed home and hid. Same for the women.

At work I know several women and a few men who break out regularly and have active acne currently. I wonder if we didn't work in such a horrid environment if we would all of us have completely clear skin... We work in a nursing rehab center with many bacteria hovering about us daily, every minute and every second. It is also a very stressful environment and I have noted a correlation between stress and acne for myself personally. There are more of us in this one small environment that break out than one would think compared to a similar statistical sample of any other environment where I have ever worked. And I have a work career as varied as any writer, artist, or actor. :) (Retail sales, secretary, cashier, camp counselor, babysitting, tutoring in english and psych at college, receptionist, night auditor at hotel, front desk receptionist at hotel, waitress).

sigh I feel the same way a lot of the times. ><;; it sucks. But then again I'll have to live with it. I mean what else can we really do? Well I guess plastic surgery but we don't all have a huge amount of money. Either way. It's going to be tough, back in Feburaruy I barely had acne. Now after gods knows what my acne has become so bad that when I go out everyone stares at me like YOU can tell they are looking at my acne. Sadly we aren't as lucky as some others.

I know and people are like why don't you do something about it and why don't you have a life...They've also called me groose in the past so that has affected my self-esteem when my skin got worse...

I know how you feel......whenever my acne was super bad I wanted to cry everytime I went out in public and had to stare at the hordes of people with china-doll faces.

But it's weird, even though I am completely clear now and my skin looks great, I STILL get depressed sometimes when going out in public because I will see a girl with absolutely flawless skin and you can tell she isn't wearing any make-up. Ggrr. :doubt:

I know and people are like why don't you do something about it and why don't you have a life...They've also called me groose in the past so that has affected my self-esteem when my skin got worse...