Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elizabethmargot

Accutane & Closed Comedones

I started Accutane 2 weeks ago for the closed comedones (skin colored bumps) on my cheeks that seem to hang out forever and are unresponsive to squeezing (or more conventional treatments like topicals, antbiotics, etc). Anyway, since visiting this site I've become concerned that Accutane doesn't work for closed comedones, and so I called my derm this week to find out. She told me not be concerned, that retinoids are specifically for treating comedones, and that since Accutane is an oral retinoid, it DOES work for them, and will clear up my face. However, I just stumbled upon this article on the web:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:8aDVr...lient=firefox-a

This article pretty much contradicts what my derm said, and being that it's from the FDA, I'd asume it's credible. So now....I feel pretty much hopeless. Accutane was my last hope, and if it's not going to clear my skin....ugh. I don't know.

Any thoughts?

I had severe cystic acne PLUS all those bumpy textures caused by closed and open comedones. Millions of blackheads it felt like. Millions of tiny little skin colored bumps. I only took it for two or three months (don't remember now exactly how long it was) since I had to have emergent knee surgery thus necessitating abrupt discontinuation of Accutane.

Anyway within two months I was clear. Even of those closed comedones. The sebum seems to be less viscous with Accutane therapy, and that reduced the problem for me.

stop looking for answers wait your course out, your losing hope before you even try, i know i get down sometimes but they say if you believe in medication working for you, it has a much better chance it will.....there was a post on it somewhere

I started Accutane 2 weeks ago for the closed comedones (skin colored bumps) on my cheeks that seem to hang out forever and are unresponsive to squeezing (or more conventional treatments like topicals, antbiotics, etc). Anyway, since visiting this site I've become concerned that Accutane doesn't work for closed comedones, and so I called my derm this week to find out. She told me not be concerned, that retinoids are specifically for treating comedones, and that since Accutane is an oral retinoid, it DOES work for them, and will clear up my face. However, I just stumbled upon this article on the web:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:8aDVr...lient=firefox-a

This article pretty much contradicts what my derm said, and being that it's from the FDA, I'd asume it's credible. So now....I feel pretty much hopeless. Accutane was my last hope, and if it's not going to clear my skin....ugh. I don't know.

Any thoughts?

i have exactly the same problem.

the little sh*ts are all over my face.

but im 20 days in which i realise ok maybe its a little to early to having doubts that it aint going to work for them.

many others on here seem to have had success using tane.

just have hope.

heads up and they'll be gone in 2-3 months at the most i'm sure.

:]]

you'll be fine. the tane purges your skin so basically everything gets pushed out!

i remember i used to looked at my pores under a spotlights and see that they were all full of crap even if it wants on the surface and now theyre all clear. purging can be really gross esp with blackheads but its worth it!

stop looking for answers wait your course out, your losing hope before you even try, i know i get down sometimes but they say if you believe in medication working for you, it has a much better chance it will.....there was a post on it somewhere

Exactly!

Thanks everybody - I really appreciate your input! :)

It's not so much that I expected them to be gone within 2 weeks of starting...I'm just concerned that even over time (the way that article sounded) accutane wouldn't clear them up. I guess my only choice is to have hope though - if nothing before accutane worked, and accutane doesn't...well, I don't want to think about that.

If anyone who suffered from closed comedones (bumps under the skin) had success from Accutane, PLEASE let me know! Thanks!

I had tons of closed comedones, matter of fact that was the majority of my skin problems. The derm told me Tane is not most effective on this type of acne.

Well... 25 pills into tane and my face is near perfect.

I had tons of closed comedones, matter of fact that was the majority of my skin problems. The derm told me Tane is not most effective on this type of acne.

Well... 25 pills into tane and my face is near perfect.

You are making me jealous. I'm 4 months in and haven't really noticed any progress in my clogged pores. Just a question, what brand of Accutane are you using?

I guess it's different for everyone.

Elizabeth,

I have to get around to responding to your last PM...I've been soooo busy. Anyway - I am calling my doctor about this article today. My liver levels were elevated in my blood test last week and I'm really beginning to think that the side effects and risks are not going to out-weight the benefits for me. As you already know, these closed comedones are the only reason I'm on accutane, really. If thes aren't going to be taken care of, there's no reason for me to keep putting this poison in my body. *sigh* So discouraged now...

I just wanted to add that my dermatologist told me I'd probably need to have manual extractions after accutane for the closed comedones that are stubborn.

Yeah, I had manual extractions before I started accutane and they all came back within a couple months....hence, why I'm even on accutane in the first place. We'll just have to see what happens, I suppose.