Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
boogieshoes98

27 years of pain and now 100% clear! -success story!

I have a success story to tell. I've been struggling with acne for 27 years, ever since I was 13. I had everything from large cysts when I was younger to persistent acne "bumps" under my skin. I tried changing my diet, B5, Accutane, Smoothbeam, everything until God gave me some clarity. I even had an obsessive compulsive disorder that made me want to pick my skin for hours in the mirror, I have scarring on my face needless to say and had very low self esteem. It continued even though I am being treated with an anti-depressant that help manage OCD disorders.

I finally realized why all of the topicals, diets, ect DON'T WORK. Some people (like me) have oil in their skin that hardens into a wax-like sebum, instead of staying liquid and flowing out properly. The sebum forms an air-tight barrier that doesn't allow the oil being produced under the skin to flow out (which leads to acne and inflamation) and doesn't allow your topicals (benzoyl peroxide, ect) in. This is problematic because we've been taught by the acne industry to treat the RESULT of this (i.e. layering on topicals when we should be keeping the skin open to letting the oil out..which will prevent acne to begin with. Keep layering BP over our skin and it never reaches the infected areas. That's why the regime doesn't work for some people!

I've been clear without even a blackhead on my regime, which I know is very problematic for many people. Blackheads are also the result of plugged oil in your skin. Ugh. Once you try my regime, you'll never go back!

I'm not trying to sell anything. This is all commercially available to begin with.

1. Stay away from your skin! You've heard it, believe it, live it, don't do it. You need to keep an arm's length from the mirror! Yes that means no close up picking! Picking your acne my seem like a quick fix, but you're reinfecting and introducing more bacteria into your skin. Treat your face the way you would if it was a wound and don't interfere with the healing! My method is much more effective, faster, cleaner, and won't leave you with embarrassing red and purple spots anyway!

2. Use a real cleanser, not just a cheap liquid soap your mom put in the bathroom or something that is not specifically formulated for acne. I like Neutrogenia's Oil Free Cream Cleanser for Acne, that stuff is awesome and cleans deep down without drying my face. A nickle size will clean your whole face.

3. Exfoliate twice a day. Yes twice a day. This is ½ the magic of the regime. You'll need a squeeze tube of St. Ives Walnut Scrub. You can step down to once a day if you feel your skin is getting too dry, but for most people with acne you need to keep the pores open. When you get into the shower in the morning or wash your face in the evening, use the good cleanser I recommended. Wait a few minutes for the warm water to open your pores and apply enough to cover your face. Do NOT scrub hard! You just want to open the surface, not try to cause redness. After you're done, your skin should feel soft and smooth. Congratulations! You have now removed all of the hard impacted sebum that has been causing your skin to smother in its own oil. If your skin still feels "rough" go over it once more lightly. If you have cystic or inflamed acne, go over these areas extremely lightly or avoid them at this time.

4. When you get out of the shower and dry off, use one Oxy (normal strength) pad to get the remaining crude off your skin. Rinse with water so your skin doesn't overdry on the alcohol.

5. Apply a thin layer of benzoyl peroxide gel completely over the cheeks, nose,etc. wherever you have acne. You want to treat the entire area, not just spot treat because you want to treat EVERYTHING and there is bacteria under your skin that needs to be treated also. You can get a generic BP gel a Walmart for less than $2 I think. I like the gels because they go deeper into the skin and absorb quickly. Most stores should have a generic 10% BP water based gel.

6. Use an Alpha Hydroxy moisturizer. Neutrogenia makes an excellent oil free moisturizer with Alpha Hydroxy that actually has B5 in it! Its called Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion for Delicate Skin and you can get if for about $11 http://www.neutrogena.com/ProductsDetails.asp?ID=37 You'll want to be using this to keep the pores clear during the day. AH dissolves oil and will keep your pores clean.

That's is! You should see results very quickly on this and while it seems like a long post and a lot of information, print this out and read it several times. I've spent over $1800 on Smoothbeam and still broke out. You name it Accutane, antibiotics, even went vegitarian! I've tried everything and nothing worked because nothing treated acne from every angle. To simply exfoliate with the wrong product and not use BP and Alpha Hydroxy or to ONLY use BP and have clogged skin will not clear you of acne!

So if you forgot what to buy here is the Shopping List:

1. St. Ives Walnut Scrub (normal, not the medicated or gentle scrub)

2. Oxy Normal Skin acne pads

3. Neutrogenia Oil Free Cream Cleanser for acne

4. Neutrogenia Healthy Skin Face Lotion for Delicate Skin

5. Generic water based 10% BP gel

*Girls, check your makeup also to make sure its non-comedogenic.

*Also check your sun screens if you go to the beach to make sure its non-comedogenic, many of them aren't!

Please read this several times, buy the products, and get clear! You're worth it, you won't have to change your diet or take handfulls of pills, and you'll love you new clean smooth skin! I promise! biggrin.gif/

sounds good!

i'm glad taht u r finally clear

do u have any advices for scars though?

Yes,

I'm using the papaya soap which is an excellent exfoliant and scar remover http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=12953

the TCA Perfect complexion peel for the whole face http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=13028

www.perfectcomplexion.net

and 50% TCA for spot treatments

http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=13659

Read up on these treatments and use them once you've cleared your acne!

I've heard that anything with walnut shells can be overly harsh. How do you find it? Any recommendations on anything a little milder?

thanks for your post.

You decide how gentle the scrub is by how much pressure you use. I treat the scrub with a lot of respect and massage it gently into my wet skin in slow circles. This scrub is amazing because its the only one I've found that really opens up the pores. The "gentle" scrubs are little more than soap and don't get the job done.

Do you wait long between the steps? Also, why the 10% solution -- did you try 2.5% BP first? Sorry, so many questions. I've had pretty good success with Dan's regimen...but still have breakouts more frequently than I would like (and more cysts than I used to). I'm still experimenting with finding the right combination of things that will suit my skin (if I ever can find it!).

Thanks again for your post! It must be nice to have found something that works for you!

I use what I have readily available. Since I moisterize and use only a thin layer of BP, I've never had over drying. If you get good results using 2% use it. I would try the regime I've posted using what you have and see what happens. I swear, I've witnessed a miracle using this method, my skin looks like a model's now! I use it every day, religously and haven't had any blackheads or pimples. My skin is as smooth a lake in the morning!

Thanks for the post, i found it really useful and i'll give it a try!

just hope I can buy the products in the uk

3. Exfoliate twice a day. Yes twice a day. This is ½ the magic of the regime. You'll need a squeeze tube of St. Ives Walnut Scrub.   biggrin.gif/

I know it can be irritating if you use it too harshly. I treat it with a lot of respect since I know it can do the job if I don't get carried away. My skin is oily and I tend to have a lot of pimples if I don't exfoliate well. If you have dry or sensitve skin, use the gentle scrub. I just know this works for me and I've had acne for 27 years!

No. Exfoliating is the "mechanical" (scrub) or "chemical" (Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Beta Hydroxy Acids) way of removing dead skin, oil, and makeup that clogs up our pores and prevents our skin from breathing and working property. Soap alone does not exfolate, most soaps don't even clean that well! Moisterizing is simply just putting a moisterizer on.

I use the St. Ives walnut scrub and an Alpha Hydroxy moisterizer to keep my pores clear and my skin clean. Once you use it, you'll never go back! Your skin feels so soft and smooth after using it!