Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am getting frustated - I am a 23yo F who has had acne since puberty. I have very oily skin - so oily, in fact, that I cannot wear makeup - after about an hour or two, it looks as if it is floating on a sea of oil on my face! It is recommended on this site and on others that I only wash my face twice a day - so how do i remedy the deluge of oil in between washes :angry: ?

I am getting frustated - I am a 23yo F who has had acne since puberty. I have very oily skin - so oily, in fact, that I cannot wear makeup - after about an hour or two, it looks as if it is floating on a sea of oil on my face! It is recommended on this site and on others that I only wash my face twice a day - so how do i remedy the deluge of oil in between washes :angry: ?

I know this is annoying to hear, but you might find that only washing twice a day will make you less oily - my derm told me in high school that washing too often would put the sebaceous glands into overdrive. I think he was right. If I do have to wash during the afternoon, I apply moisturizer afterwards. I'm sorry that make-up is a no-go for you - I can't wear liquid foundation for your same reasons, but am having some luck with Everyday Minerals. You could also try a tinted sunscreen, which at least a few people on this site have used with huge success. Neutrogena makes a good one: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer. You find it with the foundation, but it's a sunscreen/light moisturizer with a bit of a tint. Good luck!

Search some threads on fish oil supplements. It seems to be helping me a fair bit.

It's relatively inexpensive. I take 12 a day now and it really seems to be helping. i tried B5 supplements before and they did nothing for me. But everybody's different.

Good luck I know how you feel. It's hot and humid here now so that really gets the oil production pumping................. Doh...........

G,

cut out all simple carbs

heavy supplementation with fish oil, cod liver oil is good too for vitamin A + D

drink lots of water, 3+ liters a day, drink nothing else except some tea

Unfortunately in all my years of researching and trying different supplements, I am convinced that there is little that can be done for super oily skin. It has been worse than having acne in my experience. And yes, I think I've tried it all:( Only accutane, although temporary, ever gave "normal" looking skin.

Unfortunately in all my years of researching and trying different supplements, I am convinced that there is little that can be done for super oily skin. It has been worse than having acne in my experience. And yes, I think I've tried it all:( Only accutane, although temporary, ever gave "normal" looking skin.

Oil blotting tissue will soak up the oil, but not your make-up.

Believe it or not...toilet set protectors (the kind in public restrooms) work great for blotting.

There are lotions that you can use before applying make up that makes a matte base, and foundations made for oily skin. Corn Silk is one brand.

dianetee - birth control pill , best thing iv ever bin precribed in my life , clears up skin and gets rid of greasiness in literally days. Definately worth it all costs

If you're using a cleanser for 'oily skin', don't. :)

If your skin feels tight after you wash it, you are using a too harsh cleanser for your skin. Your stressed skin will try like crazy to protect itself from the damage you're doing to it and quench its parched thirst by producing more oil.

Use a cleanser for sensitive skin, and try to avoid putting piles of anti-oil products on your skin.

Wash only twice a day with warm (not hot) water. You'll note a reduction in oil! It works for the hair, too! If you can put up with one to two weeks of really oily skin and hair, your body WILL reduce its oil production once you quit stressing it with overdrying products. I only have to wash my hair every two - three days! It was NOT fun not washing it as it was disgustingly oily for two weeks, but now the rewards are worth it. Someone today said, "Wow, what are you doing with your hair, it's SO shiny!" er, um. Washing it less. :P So its natural oils are coming back and making it so healthy looking.

Some people report great success with reducing oily skin by supplementing with Omega 3 pills.

Be sure to wipe off your makeup as soon as you get home from work/school.

If you are under 35, don't have a family history of strokes or DVTs, the above suggestion of birth control pills will also help your oil production.

You could also go to your doctor and get tested for excess androgens. Women who have excess androgens frequently have very oily, acne prone skin and sometimes they are also hirsute (hairy) where women generally aren't THAT furry (face, arms, etc).

With due respect to the methods described- for some, 'super-oily' skin is a right pain in the you know what.

I've tried various supplements etc, and like a poster mentioned, accutane was the only thing that made my skin look normal- and yes it was temporary for me- about 5-6 months after finishing the course.

I am now taking a second course JUST for the oily skin.

If you are using moisturizer, stop. Moisturizer can clogged pores and induce more oil. That's what I learn over the years of acne treatments. I wish I had known it earlier. My derm also told me not to moisturize except dry areas. Should have listen to her long ago! I also have oily and sensitive skin so I used aloe vera gel in place of the moisturizer cause I'm on accutane now so I do have some dry patches. Accutane does a good job on controlling oil by the way

Besides, why do you need to moiturize when you have enough skin oils to hydrate your skin?

Although other will disagree, this is MY experience (based on way too many yrs of acne):

The number of times I wash my face has NO effect on the oilyness of my skin. I have extremely oily skin. I wash 5x a day - mild wash, no scrubing. If I wash less, say twice/day, my face will become a zit farm - and my skin will not be less oily. I know I can't wash away acne, but the longer I leave oil on my skin, the more zits I get. It's that simple.

I have tried B5 twice in my life. Both time it did reduce the oil greatly - almost to the point where I had no oil at all. But the effects only lasted a couple of months.

I highly recommend Sal3 sulfur and salicylic soap.

It works great for my oily skin both washing the oil soaked skin deeply and controlling new oil. It can be drying in some if over used. Personally, in this hot/humid weather I have been showering with it all over my body 3 times a day with no dryness of any kind. It leaves my skin with a nice even tone all day.

link: http://sal3.com/

Hi there. I too have suffured all my life from oily skin and I am now 36 years old. I took accutane about 5 times, agains doctors advice, and only to solve the problem temporarily and to give me "who knows" what side effects. About 4 months ago I started doing more research and I was reading about vitamin b-5. I read the research that this chinise dr. had done and I went to GNC and bought the pills. I take now about 15 pills of 500mg per day. In the beginning, it took about 2 weeks for me to see a decrease in the oil of my face, but since then, my skin is gorgeous. It is simply flawless. My skin is normal and no more shine. You have to follow the 20 pills per day of 500mg as they recommend. In the beginning, you will be sick to your stomach, but after a while your body will get used to it.

The research I read is on this web page: www.acne-vitamins.com/pantothenic-acid-acne.html

I hope the link appears. If it doesn't, just type "research by Dr. Lit-Hung Leung, M.D. Also read about the vitamix complex that you should take in conjunction with vitamin b5. Just do some research and you will find all the answers. The only thing is that it seems that I will have to be on vitamin b5 for the rest of my life, but it beats feeling ugly and depressed with an oily face.

Karen

people claim that OCM (oil cleansing method) is very ideal for oily skin. OCM is pretty much using oils to cleanse your skin. castor oil with extra virgin olive oil is commonly used; however, i think the popular verdict is that you have to find what works best for your skin. some people don't like EVOO, so they substitute that with jojoba or grape seed or something else. everyone's skin is different and will react differently. i, too, have very oily skin, and i plan on using castor oil with grape seed oil.

you can find a lot of information on OCM on the internet. also, there's a thread on OCM in the general acne and products forum. hope that helps!

Although other will disagree, this is MY experience (based on way too many yrs of acne):

The number of times I wash my face has NO effect on the oilyness of my skin. I have extremely oily skin. I wash 5x a day - mild wash, no scrubing. If I wash less, say twice/day, my face will become a zit farm - and my skin will not be less oily. I know I can't wash away acne, but the longer I leave oil on my skin, the more zits I get. It's that simple.

I have tried B5 twice in my life. Both time it did reduce the oil greatly - almost to the point where I had no oil at all. But the effects only lasted a couple of months.