Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Defect

Ugh, stupid red marks!

I'm a 15-year-old guy and I used to have mild to moderate acne. I went to a derm back in September of 2003 and he put me on Minocyclin and Retin-A Micro and that has definitely helped. I used to get a few cysts every now and then but nothing major. Now I only get like 2 or 3 very small pimples a week but they leave behind red marks forever, and my face is a little scarred. If the redness would go away, I'd look so much better. I'm extremely white btw. Oh yea and my face used to like itch and the skin would peel off. It wasn't like it was dry; it just sloughed off for some reason. I guess it was a side effect of those meds. I finally got that to stop though, so please don't suggest anything too harsh. Any Ideas?

If it helps, I'm 6'2 and 150 pounds. I take two 100mg Minocyclin a day and I'm about to change from like .04% Retin-A to .1%. Thanks.

I'm reading other posts and inbloom123 said to someone "unfortunately, no matter what skin care regimen you use, the only way to fade those red marks is time. about six months of it. sadly, those spots were never gonna fade in a couple of weeks."

Gulp.

Shit, I forgot to mention that I use 8% Benzoyl peroxide on my face in the shower. It's Brevoxyl.

chemical peels can really help with redness......get 3 of them 3 weeks apart and u will be shocked on nice your skin looks

i know this causes skin cancer but tanninng can help with redness too

Hi,

Retin A Micro will help with red marks, and the overall look of your skin.

I'm on Tazorac, and that works amazing for red marks...once you've been on it for a while.

Although sun acts as an anti-inflammatory, I don't recommend that to help.

Because it doesn't get rid of them. It just darkens the skin to match them, AND it kills collagen, and since you're on Retin A Micro and minocycline, you'd be very photosensitive, this includes tanning booths.

As shitty as that is, the red marks will go away, but it does take time. The retin a micro is very helpful. Minocycline also helps with redness, but it won't make your red marks go away any faster.

I was on Tazorac and mino before. Now, just Tazorac. I have no redness, or red marks, and I had plenty.

Patience!

It's amazing how much skin can heal. We had a pretty long Christmas break and today was the first day back to school. There's this kid whose face used to be severely scarred because of acne and he looks atleast 75% better. I'm so happy for him. If my face would improve 75%, you wouldn't even be able to tell I ever had a pimple in my life. I was pretty content with my face during the holidays but then it decided to break out right before school started, gr. I hate the way my face looks right after I shave.

I hear that about shaving. Do you use razor or electric? Switing to a razor (mach 3) with using shaving brush and shaving foam really helped me, it keeps my face more moisturized.

Yea I use a Mach 3 once every couple days. I shave with dove soap, it seems to work just fine. My face fixed it's own oil problems without me having to apply any mosturizer. Don't get my post wrong, I'm fully capable of growing a full beard. biggrin.gif Today a kid told me I look 2 to 3 years older than I actually am. Ofcourse that kid happened to have a dreadlock-topknot looking hairstyle but I wont let that ruin his compliment tongue.gif

yes anything like retin a or even differin will help with the healing process. Patience is key. If they are just red marks consider yourself lucky. It is the deep scars that are so difficult to deal with. good luck to you!

Marvel, how long did you use Tazorac before you saw results with your red marks? I'm on it now and am hoping it will help speed up the process a little.

Hi,

I saw results in about 3 weeks. I had a red mark on my cheek, below my eye, that had been there for about 3 months, and it lightened considerably within a few weeks. I was shocked.

Of course, since I've been on taz for over a year, I have no red marks, and my skin looks really awesome.

It definitely speeds up the process. BUT I was on minocycline at the beginning of treatment. (Minocycline helps with redness, but it doesn't make it go away any faster...it helps with redness overall, and is sometimes used for people with rosacea.)

By the way, here's my routine;

Wash face in AM

Fit sunscreen in there at somepoint,(although I hate it)

Splash face w/water at night,

30 minutes later apply tazorac (0.1% gel)

30 minutes later wash off with cleanser (Spectro Jel)

hth

Wow, three weeks, huh? I hope it works that fast for me! [-o< I've had this huge red mark on my cheek for two and a half months, and no matter what I do, it just doesn't budge. Not to mention all the other red marks that make my acne seem far worse than it actually is.

Defect, you might want to check out some of the threads and the FAQ on the scar board. There seem to be some approaches that do, in fact, work to at least speed up the process, like taping, vinegar, mandelic acid.

I tried taping, and it didn't irritate me at all, but it also didn't help with red marks too much. Maybe I should have given it more time:

http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=1320

There's also other methods, like the vinegar and lemon method, that only require that you use products you probably already have at home. It might work well in combination with the tape method:

http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=4885

I ordered mandelic acid just before I got Tazorac... it sounds promising. It's an alpha hydroxy acid, which is supposed to be good for red marks, and it's supposed to be antibacterial to help clear up acne as well. It broke my forehead out with little skin-colored bumps, but many people have actually reported that it helped to clear their acne. I used it on my cheeks for a few days, and I was really happy with the way my skin looked for that short time. Mandelic is quite expensive though, (about thirty dollars plus shipping) and only available online, I believe. And it's a loooong thread:

http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=6094

Your best bet might be an alpha hydroxy moisturizer, like Eucerin Renewal, since you're already using so many products on your face. Adding another might irritate, but you should really use a moisturizer anyway. Personally, moisturizers make my face greasy, but I've never tried this one, so maybe this is better:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...UY-GFI-0-RVP-60

You could also try this Neutrogena lotion, but I don't know if anyone here has verified that it works:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...GFI-0-RVP-13554

Sorry if you've read all this already. I hope something works out for you. I know what a pain red marks can be! Good luck!

yeh, i wouldn't recommend the vinegar method. Applying vinegar to your face is a really shite idea, it irritated mine so much. Avoid it.