Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know I post in this forum too much - I'm just a total newbie at the whole diet thing and have lots of questions.

I've heard recomendations for people with hormonal acne to go on certain diets. Do any of you know which diets are supposed to be best for controling hormones? Also, I think I saw someone say to stay away from gluten/grains and dairy for hormones. Is that still the case even if you aren't allergic to gluten? I had a food allergy blood test done a few years ago and had no reactions at all listed in the Grains category - including gluten. But if I had hormonal related acne, would avoiding still provide any benefit?

Thanks.

If you have insulin resistance, which many people do and probably most with acne, changing your diet to reduce insulin secretion will majorly help. Many other hormonal problems are caused by insulin resistance. If you want to improve all of your body's hormone regulation you should go on a diet that avoids grains and foods with lots of sugar without fiber. For example, the diet that I am doing is the Paleo Diet, it's main point is to improve insulin resistance, but also to stop eating all of the things that humans are not supposed to eat.

I know I post in this forum too much - I'm just a total newbie at the whole diet thing and have lots of questions.

I've heard recomendations for people with hormonal acne to go on certain diets. Do any of you know which diets are supposed to be best for controling hormones? Also, I think I saw someone say to stay away from gluten/grains and dairy for hormones. Is that still the case even if you aren't allergic to gluten? I had a food allergy blood test done a few years ago and had no reactions at all listed in the Grains category - including gluten. But if I had hormonal related acne, would avoiding still provide any benefit?

Thanks.

Try any low carb diet. Or eat like you are a diabetic. I started changing my diet for 2 reasons. 1) My ex-husband was diagnosed with diabetes and I started researching alternatives to the harmful drugs he was promptly given, which started me researching my own problems I had given up on years before. 2) I started hearing people claim they went on the Atkins diet and their skin cleared up. I hated the Atkins diet, but after hearing over and over about it clearing acne, and my research into diabetes, it just became so obvious to me that we should not be eating the amount of sugar and simple carbs we do.

Also, sugar is inflammatory which will cause acne and aging. This is what Perricone is all about.

Try any low carb diet. Or eat like you are a diabetic. I started changing my diet for 2 reasons. 1) My ex-husband was diagnosed with diabetes and I started researching alternatives to the harmful drugs he was promptly given, which started me researching my own problems I had given up on years before. 2) I started hearing people claim they went on the Atkins diet and their skin cleared up. I hated the Atkins diet, but after hearing over and over about it clearing acne, and my research into diabetes, it just became so obvious to me that we should not be eating the amount of sugar and simple carbs we do.

Also, sugar is inflammatory which will cause acne and aging. This is what Perricone is all about.

Yeah I've been reading that for hormones and acne that a low GI or diabetic type diet might be best. Is the Perricone diet what you are doing now or have you sort of just done research and crafted your own diet plan? Have you cut out any food groups entirely?

Yeah I've been reading that for hormones and acne that a low GI or diabetic type diet might be best. Is the Perricone diet what you are doing now or have you sort of just done research and crafted your own diet plan? Have you cut out any food groups entirely?

Thanks.

A common misconception is that, you should avoid grains ONLY if you have an allergy to GLUTEN.

While gluten allergy may well contribute to acne....

The main argument of a "paleo" type diet, is to restrict grains because of their high carb-density, and anti-nutrients, not because of any allergies.

In particular for acne, when we ingest such high amounts of carbs, particularly simple carbs because of the high GL, it causes a chain reaction, which results in the production of hormones which directly effect acne.

Ergo, the theory is, remove most grains.. i.e white bread, cereals etc., and you should alleviate acne simptoms, and also move towards addressing an insulin resistance.

I just cut back on simple carbs replacing them with more fruit and veggies. I don't really follow any diet. I have a copy of Atkins Age-Defying diet book and have added some of the recommended foods. Like some things to eat daily apple, onion or garlic, a carrot, a cooked tomato or tomato juice, greens or broccoli, etc.

I was going to try the Perricone 3-day face lift diet once, but I just couldn't bring myself to eat that much salmon. All I really know about Perricone is what's available free from his website and things like his Oprah Winnfrey appearances. I do at least appreciate that both Atkins and Perricone address health problems with diet and nutritional supplements. But Perricone mostly recommends his own pricey products.