Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bahli84

Chlorine and skin?

I'm a lifeguard as those who have read my log know... I was wondering if anyone else is in pools a lot and how it affects their skin. I have worked at a pool for 4 years now, with about a 9 month break in there. Before I came back to the pools in September'03 I always thought the chlorine in the pool was helping my face, but now that I am back I find it is over-drying and irritating. Maybe coz of the regimen?

Post your experiences with chlorinated water

the last time i went on holiday i went in the pool and within 2 days had a HUMONGOUS breakout...im convinced it was clorine and havent been near a pool since

Im on the swim team at my highschool and we practice 5 days a week 2 hours per day plus meets on weekends and i think it helps clear my face some, because it drys existing zits but it seems like my skin is a lot oilier than normal...one big thing is wash ur face asap when youve been swimming to get off all the chlorine + dirt

i'd have to agree public pools are filthy... they only empty the pool i work at ONCE A YEAR.... otherwise they just dump in the granular every night and hope that takes care of it... yuck

Especially knowing how MUCH shit and piss, not to mention puke, is in there.... You really gotta push it outta your mind everytime you teach!!!!!

well, i dunno. but i always thought that chlorine would help your face because it would kill the bacteria and clean it off real well, but maybe not. its actually an experiment i was gonna try... instead of going to the gym and doing cardio on the running machine, go in the pool. besides the fact that i rarely see people who hang around pools who have acne, might be a connection... dunno

and by the way, as a life gaurd, how much time do you spend in the water? do you spend most of the time baking in one of those high chairs?

i work as a lifeguard and swimming instructor, at an indoor pool from sept-june so baking in a chair is unfortunately not an accurate representation of guarding for me! haha. Right now I'm in the water approx six and a half hours a week, sometimes slightly more.

yeah just moisturize after you've been in the chlorine. excessive amounts of chlorine irritate my skin. I try to wash my face with plain warm water and a tiny bit of soap then moisturize after pool.

i was wondering why my skin would be so dried out after going to the pool, thought it was the sun but wtf i used sunscreen lol.

but anyways swimming is perfect fo body acne since it's always in the water and helps the face too. I only use the regimen once a day on days i go to the pool and it works great

It always dries out my skin, but when I was using BP, so did any type of water (swimming in a lake, for instance). Moisturizer was my savor for that summer - every time i'd swim, i'd just slather it on and it would be all good. smile.gif

made my face look clear as fuck while I was on vacation. Almost 0 zits but when I cam ehome ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

chlorine irritates the hell out of my skin!!!!!! I get in for like five minutes and my chest is red and rashy looking, and it feels icky!!!!! icky icky icky!!!! maybe it's because I'm so damn SENSITIVE to any product that toiuches my face!!!!

neutrogena oil free sunblock is definately a keeper. It moisturizes your face so it doesn't get chapped + protects it from the sun. If you're in the sun/water a lot i'd suggest rollerblading down the store and grabbin one of the bad boys

only thing i can think of is try to shower off as soon as possible after getting out...even if its just a quick rinse down

My friend has a pool in her back yard, and since no one could see except her, I actually wasn't too embarrassed that my makeup washed off... so I stayed in that damn pool at LEAST 4 hours a day 5 days out of the week (yay skin cancer bb_icon_rolleyes.gif)and I noticed my skin looked better, not to mention my great tan. However, when I went I didn't take a shower before hand and right when I got out I took a shower and washed my face with dove.