Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ylem

Laser resurfacing and when it may be considered useful

I just finished reviewing an article by an MD in New York City by the name of Emil Basiccia in the Dermatology Times. The article is several years old, but did shed some light on some things. One thing he mentions is that laser resurfacing cannot raise the pitted scar to level with the surrounding skin as well as a fat transfer to the area from the hip or abdomen (metabolically stable fat sources). Consequently, in his years of experience he strongly believes that fat transfer in conjunction with laser resurfacing will provide that CRUCIAL balance between an effective raising of pock site to level with surrounding skin and a smoothening(from laser) of transfer site after fat injection.

In a nutshell, the laser is effective for smoothing the site where fat transfer is effective for actually raising the pockmark to level with the surrounding skin.These two procedures are perfectly complemetary. It is a simple common sense idea yet, unfortunately, many fail to realize this simple concept and are falsely advised by derms to have resurfacing done alone. This is why I believe laser is not providing effective results for many people.

I have done so much research on this that it is exhausting. I have come to the conclusion that my absolute best option (especially in my cheeks where I have very wide, soft rolling scars) would be to have this done. It may sound like an old- fashioned idea to many, but I feel it must produce pretty decent results.

I am posting this as an entirely new topic because I believe we have all read about far too many unfortunate outcomes from laser resurfacing. I am trying to come up with answers as to why these results are poor other than irritation issues.

It can't raise the pitted scar but it can cut the edge of a pitted scar that way it will be less deep and less visible. =P~

The body cannot absorb the fat if it is taken from a metabolically stable region ie the hip or the abdomen

Also, the fat transfer alone will not raise the pitted scar alone, but will make it less visible. The laser resurfacing helps to smooth out the edges after grafting is done. I still think this is my best option to try in my years of research

Thanks for the topic! I've been looking into newfill, a permanent filler that is available south of the border, and now I think I can get that done (the filler) followed by more laser (smoothbeam). Gonna get a consultation as soon as possible to see what they say. I thought that I would have had to finish my laser sessions before doing the filler, but maybe not!

I've always thought that the only way to completely raise a scar to level, is to put something in the scar underneath it, whether a synthetic injectable, or something more natural like fat. Fat doesn't seem to be permanent, unfortunately.

I completley understand people wanting more natural treatments, like needling etc., but for deep scars fillers are the only way.

Lasers or a deep peel could compliment this approach by softening out the edges of the scars. It just depends on what the scar looks like.