Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
emily88

Birth Control

So I was on Accutane about two years ago and now I'm starting to get minor breakouts again, especially in the summer. I don't think I want to go back on Accutane, but I've heard some birth control keeps your skin so nice and clear. If this works for some of you girls, could you tell me which brand of birth control you were on and how much the pills cost with insurance? Thanks a lot!

'ello! :wavey:

First off, if your acne isn't hormonal there's not a single reason to go on birth control as it might make things a lot worse!

You probably know all that so I'll just get to the question at hand: I'm on Ortho Tri-cyclen the only brand that paid to be proven to lessen acne, which of course doesn't mean it's the only one out there! Infact around here no one really talks about it :P I pay 26 bux every month. (worth it for clearer skin and nice light periods with minimum cramps)

Good Luck!

If your acne is hormonal, I personally suggest Yaz. It's been a great birth control for me so far.. i'm into my 3rd month. It has made me lose water weight, cleared up all my body acne, and has helped my face a lot. Also, its only 4 days that you are suppose to "get your period" rather than the traditionaly 7. =]

Wow, I actually did NOT know that birth control would only help if your acne is hormonal. Do you actually have to get tested for it, and is it something regular family doctor can do or do I have to go to a derm? It's just that it's summer and my skin's been so clogged lately, even with nightly tazorac use. Also, tazorac is thinning my skin and making it feel quite raw. I appreciate all the help.