Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

I had a accutane treatment which helped get rid of all of my acne. (was only 1 month ago) Once the acne is gone you focus on the scarfs + red marks left.

I heared that if you do not protect your skin from the sun your red marks will get even worse which will take more time for them to go away?

What suncream should I use? (factor?) I'd like to get a bit of a tan this summer...

Should I avoid specific suncreams? (oily ones could re produce acne?)

I only recommend the one's that are formulated for the face, oil-free, non-comedogenic. They are less likely to cause problems, although ANY sunscreen has the potential to cause problems. I like Coppertone oil-free.

I've gotten a nasty sun burn once, that when it went away, so did a bunch of red marks. But that was years ago. I also simply don't tan.

My guess is that tanning, due to the increase in melanin in the skin overall simply isn't great for redmarks, because once your skin resolves and reduces melanin production, your redmarks will still keep residual pigment, making them look worse.

But simply burning your skin, while obviously not healthy or a good idea anyways, can work both ways. As you'll probably shed several layers of skin, you'll be exfoliating layers of damaged skin, including red marks.

There's also a risk that you'll do permenant damage, and just aggravate redmarks to stay longer. Not worth it imo.

My opinion? I'd stay out of the sun unless you're intending to spend time on a beach and in the ocean. Tanning is a temporary and cosmetic relief to your eye for redmarks, but it doesn't help in the long term. And sun burns aren't good for you, period.

But whatever, if you want to tan, go for it.

My opinion? I'd stay out of the sun unless you're intending to spend time on a beach and in the ocean. Tanning is a temporary and cosmetic relief to your eye for redmarks, but it doesn't help in the long term. And sun burns aren't good for you, period.

I'll be working a month on the beach in a local supermarket. I'll be sitting on the beach in my free time. That's why I'm asking. :)