Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rockystar

aaarg what have i done!!!

ok so i started to use retin A cream 0.025% for the second time (i used it a few years ago and it helped alot with red/brown marks so i started using it again this wednesday).

last night (saturday), i went out but cos of the retin A, my skin was really flakey and it was making my makeup flake off.

when i got home, in frustration, i thought yeh its all good, i'll just get rid of these flakes...

when cleansing, i used a facial exfoliation brush..gently at first cos i didnt want to be too harsh..then like a fooool, cos some of the flakes wouldnt come off, i used the brush for longer than i should have. it stung when i rinsed my face, but that was nothing compared to what happened when i put moisturiser on..the perfume from the moisturiiser mustve aggravated the skin further cos after soooo much stinging and burning, patches of the skin where id scrubbed too hard like an idiot, went bright red...i thought it would go away so went to sleep enduring the stinging feeling. 4 hours later, i woke up expecting the skin tone to be normal, looked in the mirror and it was the same! all red and blotchy and shiny from rawness!! i didnt know what to do i was sooooooo scareddd!! to stop the stinging my friend recommended applying cold milk, which i did, then i applied vaseline to keep it moisturised, since all the other creams etc i had were non-perfume/alcohol free. i went back to sleep and when i woke up, the redness was calmer, but the skin affected is reallly raw and thin looking..the redness had turned a bit darker..when i smile all these lines appear like its all dehydrated or something.

i know i stripped too many layers of skin off, cos this has happened in LITTLE patches on my face before, and the skin usualy dries up and flakes off to leave normal skin underneath..but its never happened on such a HUGE scale; basically all of my face

i just wanted some advice on how to help the skin heal and prevent any pigmentation or scarring, cos its seriously affected a huge area of my face and i sooo will not be touching the damn retin a or the brush anytime soon.

what do i do in the mean time?

please please please help!!

ouch. You definately overtreated the skin.

Actually I wouldn't worry too much if you simply don't touch your skin for awhile. Aloe Vera tends to help healing time if you want to apply that, but don't over do it.

Your skin will be flaky for a bit, but once that passes, the redness should go away, and you'll be ok.

thanks so much for the reply. i've been putting vaseline on the really dry areas after wetting them with a bit of water, otherwise my face feels like its actually going to crack. just realllly wish i had just left those stupid flakes alone :(

thanks again

ok so i started to use retin A cream 0.025% for the second time (i used it a few years ago and it helped alot with red/brown marks so i started using it again this wednesday).

last night (saturday), i went out but cos of the retin A, my skin was really flakey and it was making my makeup flake off.

when i got home, in frustration, i thought yeh its all good, i'll just get rid of these flakes...

when cleansing, i used a facial exfoliation brush..gently at first cos i didnt want to be too harsh..then like a fooool, cos some of the flakes wouldnt come off, i used the brush for longer than i should have. it stung when i rinsed my face, but that was nothing compared to what happened when i put moisturiser on..the perfume from the moisturiiser mustve aggravated the skin further cos after soooo much stinging and burning, patches of the skin where id scrubbed too hard like an idiot, went bright red...i thought it would go away so went to sleep enduring the stinging feeling. 4 hours later, i woke up expecting the skin tone to be normal, looked in the mirror and it was the same! all red and blotchy and shiny from rawness!! i didnt know what to do i was sooooooo scareddd!! to stop the stinging my friend recommended applying cold milk, which i did, then i applied vaseline to keep it moisturised, since all the other creams etc i had were non-perfume/alcohol free. i went back to sleep and when i woke up, the redness was calmer, but the skin affected is reallly raw and thin looking..the redness had turned a bit darker..when i smile all these lines appear like its all dehydrated or something.

i know i stripped too many layers of skin off, cos this has happened in LITTLE patches on my face before, and the skin usualy dries up and flakes off to leave normal skin underneath..but its never happened on such a HUGE scale; basically all of my face

i just wanted some advice on how to help the skin heal and prevent any pigmentation or scarring, cos its seriously affected a huge area of my face and i sooo will not be touching the damn retin a or the brush anytime soon.

what do i do in the mean time?

please please please help!!

thanks. im in the uk and we dont have neosporin here, but i just made sure the skin was moisturised all day and night and the next day the dry skin began to flake off. so far no pigmentation/scarring seems to be visible..although its hard to tell cos of all the existing red marks...

thanks for the suggestion tho :D

ummm you probably do have something of the equivalence of neosporin, but I don't really recommend using it every day for a few weeks. I used a prescription equivalent of neosporin (a little stronger basically) ... and would put it ALL over my breakouts, and trust me, I mean ALL over...

long story short, I think I basically "cured" them, but everywhere where I put it, (mostly in the same spot every day) ... idk how to explain it, its a different texture, like, I can SEE the pores, and they are essentially closed on the bottom. (luckily for me this was right by my eyes & nose, where the texture is naturally different anyways...lol but be careful, and monitor how you are doing on it, if you choose to use it.

my opinion,... see a derm or a doc or some one with some sort of medical knowledge, becuase I did the same thing you did... (in 2 weeks)...lol.. I used at least HALF the thing from neutragena, that orange face wash that has a WHOLE BUNCH of SA. Put it all over my face, but mostly on my cheeks cuz I hate water in my eyes.

Not long after I started using it (AS DIRECTED)--except for that part of 'if it becomes irritated or a rash begins, discontinue use...' (I didn't heed that warning) mainly because my mom said that I was supposed to get red.

Well, anyways, after 2 weeks, when it must have hurt A LOT... i don't really remember... but I stopped using it--or maybe it was cuz I was starting school or something...but at any rate... I haven't been "white" as in natural white since that summer that I did it. And that was 4 years ago /.... right around this time.

I tried leaving it alone, and I tried putting BP on it (stings like hell) and finally I sucummbed to a derm when I got a cyst right next to my eye.... took almost a year since I used that SA stuff.

Been to 3 derms in total, and I'm finally on accutane, and its FINALLY clearing up....

not saying that a course of accutane is your treatment as well, I'm sure that you don't really need it, but it wouldn't hurt to have a derm tell you what to do/use to make sure that you don't scar or be plagued with it for years like myself. :(

good luck, and if you DO go to the derm, please let me know what they say, because by the time I went, it was too late to help the original cause, and its just gotten worse from there. :/

keep me updated please! :)

kristifire,what did your derms say happened to make your skin red for such a long time? i think its slightly different from what i stupidly did to my skin..i didnt use any chemicals that night, thank God, cos if i did, after over-exfoliating, i probably wouldve fainted from the stinging all night! mines ok now, i stayed indoors for about 3 days and made sure my face was reallly moisturised, i even put a thin layer of olive oil on it for a few hours the second day cos its meant to help with burns, and i thought if it helps heal burns then it will help heal this..but whatever i did, it did help cos the next day i woke up and the areas that were red the day before dried up and flaked off really easily to reveal new skin underneath. i was sooo grateful i stuffed the retin A and the stupid facial brush in a drawer and havent taken them out yet lol. im gona start the retin A again cos wana use it during the summer when i can stay at home when the skins too dry and flakey from it, as opposed to after october when i gta go to uni.

also, im asian (indian)..i take it from your post that u are white? maybe the level of redness depends our different skin tones aswell?..i dunno..

but anyway i wont be seeing a derm about this cos i dont think i need to, to be honest, at the moment anyway.

thanks for your post and i hope your treatment continues to go well and u get the results u want! :D

keep using the retin a...retin a heals the skin and makes the new skin grow back faster(ive been using my slef for 10 months) and aloe vera in the morning moisterize tell there is no more flakes..and in the future just use a towel to wipe the flakes off

Guest j3ff86

You're definitely not alone, I did almost the same exact thing a couple months ago (overused retin-a and then exfoliated). I decided to stop it and my skin went back to normal in a couple weeks. New users of tretinoin creams NEED to be educated about this stuff... it's really powerful.

kristifire,what did your derms say happened to make your skin red for such a long time? i think its slightly different from what i stupidly did to my skin..i didnt use any chemicals that night, thank God, cos if i did, after over-exfoliating, i probably wouldve fainted from the stinging all night! mines ok now, i stayed indoors for about 3 days and made sure my face was reallly moisturised, i even put a thin layer of olive oil on it for a few hours the second day cos its meant to help with burns, and i thought if it helps heal burns then it will help heal this..but whatever i did, it did help cos the next day i woke up and the areas that were red the day before dried up and flaked off really easily to reveal new skin underneath. i was sooo grateful i stuffed the retin A and the stupid facial brush in a drawer and havent taken them out yet lol. im gona start the retin A again cos wana use it during the summer when i can stay at home when the skins too dry and flakey from it, as opposed to after october when i gta go to uni.

also, im asian (indian)..i take it from your post that u are white? maybe the level of redness depends our different skin tones aswell?..i dunno..

but anyway i wont be seeing a derm about this cos i dont think i need to, to be honest, at the moment anyway.

thanks for your post and i hope your treatment continues to go well and u get the results u want! :D