Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acne_battle

How Come Most Nurses Are Overweight?

That's just a generalization Molly.

I'm an RN and I've never been overweight in my entire life. When I worked in the hospital, most nurses I worked with were not overweight, a few were, but most I came into contact with were not.

This is a gross overgeneralization. The rate of obesity is sky-rocketing...why would the nursing profession be an exception?

Look at the environment that nurses work in also. My mother is a nurse and not overweight by the way, but she used to work 12 hour shifts four days a week. The only source of food on site was a food court with many unhealthy choices. She usually brought healthy food from home, but moreso than not, all the nurses ate from the food court.

This thread is...weird.

Why does it matter?

So some nurses and physicians are overweight....does that make them any less competent to be treating people? Last time I was in the hospital, I had an ulcer and my doctor was overweight. He gave me a list of foods to avoid while my ulcer was active. Should I ignore his recommendation about a bland diet just because he is overweight??

Absolutely not. I'm not sure how obesity = incompetency. Ridiculous.

And i was just having a joke that it was posted on an acne board, i wasnt having a go! And if you want to tell me to shut the fuck up, why not be brave enough to say it, rather than trotting out some stupid little abbreviations that all the coolest 12 year old's are using!

:clap: Best flame ever!

incidently Molly has just told me to STFU, I hope she reads this lol.

They don't have time to eat healthy! They're constantly running around attending to people, eating what they can on the go, go to any nursing forum and you'll see that the number one thing they complain about is not being able to pee and balancing food while they run to the next room.

I'm an RN and I've never been overweight in my entire life. When I worked in the hospital, most nurses I worked with were not overweight, a few were, but most I came into contact with were not.

Did you enjoy your work?

My aunt is an RN as well. She did cardiac critical care until she retired. She is a great, kind person. She is also overweight. Her job was highly stressful, of course. She ran into a lot of not nice people. I have just realized that I have changed a lot. I stand up for myself politely now. I do not let people walk all over me. So perhaps if I were to return to that former place of employment (not likely) it would be different.

well, considering that 67% of Americans are overweight or obese, perhaps what you were witnessing wasn't just nurses being prone to being fat, but just people in general. lol

Did you enjoy your work?

Yes, I did. I was a Pediatric nurse. But it was plenty stressful, dealing with sick kids/babies and their parents. Plus I worked the night shift (11pm-7am). It was tough at times.

Did you enjoy your work?

My aunt is an RN as well. She did cardiac critical care until she retired. She is a great, kind person. She is also overweight. Her job was highly stressful, of course. She ran into a lot of not nice people. I have just realized that I have changed a lot. I stand up for myself politely now. I do not let people walk all over me. So perhaps if I were to return to that former place of employment (not likely) it would be different.

well, considering that 67% of Americans are overweight or obese, perhaps what you were witnessing wasn't just nurses being prone to being fat, but just people in general. lol

I think that is the best explanation.

You're a nurse? Tell me about going to college, did you have to be good at math? :redface:

Yea, math, science, biology, etc.

Math is especially important in doing drug calculations, weight conversions, etc.. You must have strong math skills. But nothing more than basic mathematics and Algebra. There is some math involved in Chemistry (which by the way was tough).

Nursing is a pretty stressful job, may lead to eating for comfort. And also, if you're a nurse at a hospital, most of the food available is unhealthy. For example, the closest hospital I can think of has a McDonald's.

Did you enjoy your work?

ever heard of this thing called stress ?

the life of hospital doctors and nurses is far from calm and ordered

My mom used to be a nurse, but stopped working when she had me. She finally got back into nursing about four years ago and has lost probably about 30 lbs over that time period. I think a combination of always being on her feet and eating small meals has done it for her, and she doesn't have that many snacking opportunities during the day, nor does she binge. She'll have a small breakfast of fruit and oatmeal and maybe a cup of that flavored powdered coffee crap, a frozen Lean Cuisine meal for lunch and maybe some fruit or a granola bar as a snack during her 12 hour shift, and then a normal-sized dinner plate waiting at home for her, but not much else. The nurses that she works with who are overweight (which is not all of them by any means) tend to eat at the hospital cafeteria or bring huge portions of leftovers to eat.

This is a gross overgeneralization. The rate of obesity is sky-rocketing...why would the nursing profession be an exception?

Look at the environment that nurses work in also. My mother is a nurse and not overweight by the way, but she used to work 12 hour shifts four days a week. The only source of food on site was a food court with many unhealthy choices. She usually brought healthy food from home, but moreso than not, all the nurses ate from the food court.

This thread is...weird.

Why does it matter?

So some nurses and physicians are overweight....does that make them any less competent to be treating people? Last time I was in the hospital, I had an ulcer and my doctor was overweight. He gave me a list of foods to avoid while my ulcer was active. Should I ignore his recommendation about a bland diet just because he is overweight??

Absolutely not. I'm not sure how obesity = incompetency. Ridiculous.

Ive been wondering about this. Almost every nurse I know is overweight, my mom included (shes a retired RN) I wonder why this is. I mean one would think theyd be informed about this stuff and how to eat right but it doesnt seem like they do. Do you guys have any ideas about this?

Ive been wondering about this. Almost every nurse I know is overweight, my mom included (shes a retired RN) I wonder why this is. I mean one would think theyd be informed about this stuff and how to eat right but it doesnt seem like they do. Do you guys have any ideas about this?

Nurses make as much money as teachers do, around $47k a year. Lower income people tend to be more overweight than the upper class citizens.

I think you are seriously confused on what a "nurse" does anyways.

Nurses don't advise people about food/health (nutritionist) or give tips about weight, or anything even close to that.

Similarly, this question is like asking why Adam Sandler can't discover a cure for cancer.

It just doesn't make sense.

Nurses make as much money as teachers do, around $47k a year. Lower income people tend to be more overweight than the upper class citizens.

So some nurses and physicians are overweight....does that make them any less competent to be treating people?

Yes...

Aesthetics plays a major role in any decision that is made by people. This may sound vain, but I think that many people would feel that physicians are being hypocritical in giving advice, but not following it on their own. Would you necessarily feel as comfortable taking medication from a dermatologist that has acne, compared to one that does not have acne? It may be of little relevance to the overall outcome the person wishes to achieve, and it is likely that the physician does have validity in what they prescribe, but their are many aspects that the human mind will derive about their treatment as we do not know the competence of many of our physicians.

As for why they tend to be obese? lol, who knows

Why are you overweight then? Case closed.

:ninja:

Im not overweight =/ Im like ten pounds more than I should be for my height and Im not a nurse. Being a CNA is totally different than being an RN

I think we are more than just 10lbs 1eye.gif . What is a CNA? RN = Registered Nurse. Case closed.

I think we are more than just 10lbs 1eye.gif . What is a CNA? RN = Registered Nurse. Case closed.

What's the point of tearing into Molly's weight? I've seen pictures of her and she is not even pudgy. I am by no means a fat-sympathizer, but I really think this society has a distorted body perception.

My sister, btw, was a nurse for a very long time, and she's round. The NA's out here, however (I know, not a nurse, big difference) are rather thin.

What's the point of tearing into Molly's weight? I've seen pictures of her and she is not even pudgy. I am by no means a fat-sympathizer, but I really think this society has a distorted body perception.

My sister, btw, was a nurse for a very long time, and she's round. The NA's out here, however (I know, not a nurse, big difference) are rather thin.

Of course hes gonna tear me up. He hates so called "fat people"