Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SPaHB

When is it best to exfoliate? AM VS PM

In the AM or PM?

I really can't decide

I would think in the AM for those who have flaking and wear make-up (me)

OR- PM after washing for complete makeup removal and better topical acne treatment purposes(also me)

I'd like to avoid exfoliating too much..

what do you guys think or find works best ?

I think most exfoliation methods that you use are going to make your skin a little redder, whether it's BHA, AHA, or some physical method. If only for the reason of making your face look less red during the day, you might focus your exfoliating efforts at nighttime when it doesn't matter if you get a little pinker than usual.

I thought about the same question some week ago ang came to this conclusion: It's up to you!

Your skin works on full power at night so if you exfoliate with a AHA or BHA, the best thing you can do is i the morning cause it will destroy the overproduced sebum from the night before + your moist will be better absorped.

however, your skin is more senstive for the sun ==> sundamaged skin!

If you exfoliote at PM you will clean all the envirmentral damage and the dullness away. If you use a nightcreme or lotion with AHA/BHA it will be better absorped and will work better during the night.

I exfoliate with BHA at night (no sundamage for me :)) and exfoliate with Dermalogica's daily microfoliant in the morning. Works for me...

I would do it in the night before bed, as then your face has time to repair during sleep. And also, when you exfoliate you remove some or most of the strateus corneum (upper most layer of dead skin cells) , you wouldn't want your face exposed to the sun or anything in the daytime. So your best bet is at night before bed.

I have read that manual exfoliation steps up oil production. So if you have oily skin, and are really concerned with being "matte" throughout the day, I'd exfoliate at night. I'm not sure about chemical exfoliation, but I agree that exfoliation makes you pink regardless of what kind it is. So if it is chemical, I'd say personal preference!

I currently manually and chemically exfoliate in the morning. Gently with a baby's hair brush. I've usually got no pinkness thereafter but I can see the difference in the pores. It also feels invigorating.

Some nights I'll exfoliate again with the baby's hair brush, but usually it's not needed. I just do chemical exfoliation at night.

I don't wear makeup, so that's why I exfoliate only once in the morning. If I did, I would exfoliate at night, too, to remove the traces of makeup.

thanks this info has been very helpfull =D you guys rock

Evahonestly-- i just started chemical exfoliation and have been using manual for some months now either shower gloves or disposable exfoliating sponges * i'd like to try the baby hair brush mentioned by wynee. I've been using the oil-free alpha hydrox treatment gel and the aha souflee ( not together ofcourse)