Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Elanorci

Help me stop touching my face!

Hey everyone.

I've been on the a great regimen (DKR) for eight months now and have had amazing success. Amazing-- but not perfect. I still get pimples more often than I would like. I know that no regimen can stop all acne, but judging from testimony on the DKR board, I think most people on the DKR have seen slightly better results.

This is probably to be expected, considering that I CANNOT STOP TOUCHING MY FACE!!!

I don't pick at pimples (I used to do this compulsively), I just sort of run my fingers along the skin. It's mostly to check to see if any new spots have formed. I guess I'm just really paranoid.

Anyway, I do this ALL THE TIME. Whenever I have a minute alone, the hands fly to the face. I've tried to stop, but most of the time I do it without really noticing... It's just a habit.

Does anyone have any ideas of something that I could do with my hands to keep them busy? I think this habit is really hindering my fight against acne.

Thanks! :)

Yep, like buckeye06 said, f you've got to do the pimple check, just try running the side of your finger lightly on your face rather than the tip since that is likelier to have more problematic stuff on it. I know when I have something comedogenic on my hands like cocoa butter that I try very, very hard to keep them away from my face, but this is pretty risky if your urge to touch your face is strong.

Why dont you just look in the mirror? That could help. Also use sanitizing lotion a lot. That way you arent putting dirty fingers on your face

Try to make a habit of touching elsewhere of your body but anywhere near your face.

What you want her to sit there and touch her boobs or her cratch =/

Try to make a habit of touching elsewhere of your body but anywhere near your face.

What you want her to sit there and touch her boobs or her cratch =/

Apply some glue-on, or stick-on fingernails. That will really help remind you not to touch your face. They feel so odd.

Haha, willpower... I have no willpower. :redface:

Stick-on nails is a great idea. They would definitely catch my attention.

Thanks everyone!

fan yourself with a binder or something. Or at the least carry those pocket size hand sanitizers and sanitize your hands before you try to. And if you do, another good way is to take an oil absorbing sheet or a tissue and wrap your finger around it, and then touch.

Or do the knuckle thing too lol

The tissue thing is really good... It could help a lot, I think.

That and the fake nails should let me make some progress. :)

Stop touching your face. Look in the mirror and tell yourself that it looks like that because you are touching it. That is what I did. Also get some balls and just stop touching it. Case closed.

:ninja:

I have a similiar problem execpt i like to pick. I get satisfaction out of it even though i know i am not diong anyting good for myself. I heard once that you shoud keep a rubber band around your wrist and if you ever get the urge snap it against your wrist. ALthough i have never tried it I guess it could work????

i know it's hard, but it's just a matter of telling yourself no every time you feel like it. my acne will be really itchy sometimes, and i just have to preoccupy myself with something else, or i'll start rubbing it to make the itching go away. you just have to say no; encourage yourself by continuously saying you do have the willpower to stop. like anything, it's putting it into practice to break the habit.

I have this problem... didnt used to.... just lately!! I get home late at night.... and even before I wash my dirty hands I will starting searching my face for zits!! Like feeling for new bumps.... and then I kick myself after doing it :doubt: UGH! MUST STOP!!

took me like 2 weeks to quit that habit.....

now it became a reflex, like whenever my hands go near my face i pull my hands back or something... but occassionally i slide or slightly scratch my face on accident, but thats not a major problem

just takes time to get used to it... i used to love leaning my face on my hands or on the desk at school but now i just rest on my jawline its pretty uncomfortable... but it sure keeps me from sleeping in the classroom :P

Wear a hair tie or rubber band on your wrist. Whenever you touch your face, snap it so it hurts. I did that to stop my nail biting and it worked.

... No pain, no game!

I really like the fake nails idea (or you could grow your own out superlong), I'd be too scared of gouging my face to touch it!

Seems like a lot of people have had success with the rubber band/hair tie idea. Hmm..

Glad to hear that so many of you have overcome similar habits! It gives me hope for myself. :)

Thanks for all the replies.

You can do 3 things:

1) Concentrate on the task at hand and stay busy.

2) Think less about pimples forming.

3) Use a stress ball or something to play with (Rubix Cube, pen, stress ball, etc.) and you won't have the urge to play with something, ie your face.

#3 helps me from idly touching my face a lot!

Drawing helps I suppose. Just find something to entertain you. Umm lets see--I suppose keeping your hands in your pockets help. While walking simply carrying something helps alot.

Another idea is to wear mittens or some sort of light gloves. Obviously you would not want to do this now but when winter comes along think about it.