Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lau

Blistering from IPL treatments...

Is it common? I was told at my first session (I have 5 booked) that practically everyone having that amount gets some kind of blister at some point, is this true? Have you experienced this?

And is there a big risk of it leaving a permanent mark? How long do they take to go away?

The nurse talked about it like it wasn't a big deal/risk, and that if it did happen to just keep it clean and dry, and if anything it means you're going to get better results. I was just curious about other people's experiences, maybe I am being paranoid.

It's perfectly normal do undergo blistering and is a good sign because your skin responded well to the treatment. Expect to have blisters for a few days, there is no risk of permanent marks.

Hi -

I saw your post and generally from IPL (Intense Pulse Light) you should NOT get blisters. The IPL not a laser nor invasive (doesn't take away a layer of skin) and shouldn't make your skin weep, bruise, or blister. Amoung the warnings of IPL, is temporary redness, but also the potential to blister or bruise, but with a qualified MD and settings appropriate and not too high, you shouldn't be blistering or bruising.

I've had over 15 IPL's, mostly done by one MD, and then a few times by an RN, the time I had very tiny blisters (above my lip only) was with the RN. Very minor tiny blisters, however. I have never bruised. I heard the setting may have been too high. Basically, the warnings are to cover their butts, but I did see a horror pic of one lady who got an IPL (setting was way too high for her skin) and she got a major big pustular blister on her chin. She said it took weeks to heal and left a big scar. It's very scary and can happen. Doing the IPL with an MD or Physician Asst. and then doing test patches of the IPL on your skin first (to see how your skin reacts) and low settings first are the best way to go.

I don't want to scare you from IPL - they are good treatments. They have helped with the tone and texture of my skin. You just have to be sure you are going to a reputable place and a qualified MD or PA.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Yvette

Two pretty much opposite opinions... :confused: anyone else have more experiences to offer?

I think I know what you mean about the woman with the huge blistering on her chin - I looked it up on Google, it's on the net isn't it. lol. Things like that are what make me super paranoid.

I've had one treatment so far, experienced no blistering or anything of the sort, however my skin looks pretty much exactly the same as before too.

Ive had blisters. Thats only because the nurse was inexperienced with the new machine that they got and the energy was too high. But most of all it was because my skin was already exposed to a lot of sun just days prior to getting zapped.

Ive had blisters. Thats only because the nurse was inexperienced with the new machine that they got and the energy was too high. But most of all it was because my skin was already exposed to a lot of sun just days prior to getting zapped.

It took awhile for the scabs to come off. They oozed for about a day or so with a yellowly substance coming underneath my skin. Took me about 2 weeks to fully recover. Even then I was left with one spot that hyperpigmented. Over a month's time I use Hydroquione (obagi) to lighten that spot but what was left after was not a scar, but a little hypopigmented spot that flares up with redness very easily (but the spot is very small and just blends in with the other red marks I have on my cheeks). Overall I dont think Ill do any IPL ever again, only in the distance future when my red marks and indents have all been fixed up. What did you go into IPL for? Red marks? I dont think IPL is very effective on redness in general. It seems to be a "spa" device rather than a REAL laser.

I'm having it for red marks, but to be honest mine aren't very dark/big, and for getting rid of freckles mostly.

side effects depends from person to person.. and has a lot of factors, let say like your skin tone.. even your body's ability to heal.. try asking your doctor about this.. also try asking other doctors just to compare..