Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have always had pretty moderate to semi-bad acne. But I have just started getting really big ones (maybe cysts?) the past 6 months. I have one on my chin that has been there for at least a week and a half and has not gone away? Is it normal to last that long? It also feels like it is more under the skin. It hurt when I first got it, but now it is just a big red bump!

Should I try to pop it? and if so, what is the best way to pop it?

Sorry, if this is a gross question, but I figured I could talk about it here..

If there is no head (no white bump on top of it and no centralized black dot), do NOT attempt to pop it. That could cause it to rupture underneath the skin and spread the infection around, making it painful, more reddened, and take even longer to heal.

I've had good luck taking anti-inflammatories (I just took ibuprofen. Some people swear by naproxen sodium), spot treating with BP with this one cyst I got a few weeks (Maybe even a month) ago. It was gone in a week and a half. Normally they would stay with me for a month or so. It wouldn't have stayed so long if I hadn't attempted to prick it. :rolleyes: I also iced it the day after I first noticed it (after I had stupidly tried to stick a needle in it.)