Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJ_Paul

Supplements while on Accutane

I am on my second course of Accutane, and was wondering if I could add these to my "diet".

I bought:

Zinc, 50 mg (Zinc Gluconate)

Vitamin E 400 I.U.

Vitcamin C - 500 mg

Would anybody advise against taking any of these? I was also thinking about taking Alpha lipoic acid as well.

Oh and I'm already taking Fish oil 3 times a day (100 mg/day).

(posted this in your other thread as well)

Personally, I'd skip on the Vitamin E, or at least lower your dosage to 200 I.U. As you probably know, nosebleeds are very common on Accutane. Vitamin E is a natural blood thinner. Couple the two, and you're in for some severe bleeding. Around two weeks ago I nearly had to be rushed to the hospital due to blood loss. At the time, I was taking 400 I.U. of Vitamin E a day. My blood wasn't clotting adequately.

Additionally, Vitamin E has been known to interfere with the absorption of Vitamin A. While Accutane is another form of Vitamin A, I wouldn't risk it.

The other vitamins are fine. Good luck with your second course, and here's to a permanent remission! :D

I take all that except Vitamin E and Alpha Lipoic Acid. I make sure I take it with a different meal than I am taking the Accutane. Seems to be working fine.

anyone taking bcaa's and or taurine? i want to take some, and i think it should be ok, but would feel a little better if i knew others used those sups.

I've been taking 400 I.U. of Vitamin E a day for about 3 weeks now, so thats about the same time when I started using Accutane.

Should I stop taking vitamin e?

From what I've read from threads that I searched in acne.org. I'd seen that people said that their derm said it would be okay.

anyone taking bcaa's and or taurine? i want to take some, and i think it should be ok, but would feel a little better if i knew others used those sups.

I'm a little skeptical about taking the Vitamin E now because I've gotten a couple nose bleeds already.

@ SteelSnow's hijack ;) : About taurine, here's what wikipedia says: "Taurine in the pharmaceutical and lab setting is synthesized through a combination of cysteine, methionine and vitamin E"

Cysteine and methionine are 2 of the naturally occuring amino acids (amino acids are the smaller units that form proteins). Those wouldn't be of concern.

If you are avoiding vitamin E, I would avoid taurine as a supplement because it is made of Vitamin E.

If you are referring to the amount of taurine in an energy drink- I don't think there's typically enough to make a big difference either way.