Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jasmine5895

is it ever too late to take accutane?

i had an appointment with my derm 1 month ago, and i asked about accutane because i have oily skin. my breakouts are currently under control with mino, klaron, and 10%bp, and have been for about 2-3 years. however, i still get an occasional cyst that usually leaves a little scar. my derm said he probably would have suggested accutane if he had seen me when i was younger and my skin was worse. he said that if he can keep the acne under control with simpler methods, he would rather do that. i dont want to break out anymore, at all, and im tired of taking antibiotics. should i just tell him i want the accutane when i see him next month, even though i dont have massive breakouts, but i do have a few scars.

I dont think its ever too late to have it (though im no expert... obviously). I also recall my derm saying that the later you use it in life the less likely you are to have acne again... by the sounds of it from your post your derm just thinks your acne is not bad enough to justify the extreme treatment that is accutane, especially if it can be 'controlled'.

I would just tell him how u feel

as you age your body becomes more vulnerable to the affects of accutane... there are a crap load of side effects. for those of us who are or were on the drug know of all the side effects listed on the leaflet.

where am i going with this you ask? some of the effects occur more so with older people than younger people. so dependant of your age - age is a factor that should not be overlooked, regardless of how sever your acne is.

be warned, accutane is a potent drug... your doctors opinion should not be disregarded, he/she knows best.

I wouldn't be on accutane right now if anything else worked...derms usually prescribe it after they've tried next to everything to control your acne. If you've found something that works, stick with it. If you really want accutane though, stop using what he gave you for the month you don't see him, and you'll prolly have a few breakouts. As for the antibiotics, I'd try to slowly stop taking them regardless. You can become immune and that'll mess you up if you ever get really sick. Okay, I think I'm done now.