Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As a fellow acne sufferer, I have encountered many humiliating experiences in my lifetime of suffering with acne. Most of these involved times when others (even complete strangers), feel the need to comment on my skin. As IF I don't think about it 24/7 anyway! I find it absoultely rude and insensitive that people do this! But anyway, I just thought it would be fun to share our most humiliating, embarrasing, maddening, whatever, acne experience. It might help to vent, or just let us know we aren't completely alone in this! So anyway, to start, here are my top 2:

1. The time my BOSS decided to comment on my skin. Yes, that's right, my BOSS. I had been trying a new product, which required me to not wear any makeup for the first month or so of treatment. Also, we all know how acne products work - your skin gets worse before it gets better. It was around Christmas, and I had to drop off a presentation I had stayed late to work on at my Boss's house. After I had explained to him what I'd done to edit this presentation, he said, hold on a second, I have something for you, and walks into theother room. Here I am, thinking, wow, what a nice guy, he got me a christmas present, or something like that. Then he comes back. With a little white box. THE BOX. Of Pro-activ. Yes, that's right. I'm sure a lot of you have tried it, including me. That crap DOES NOT WORK! I just sit there and stare at it, in complete horror, shock, and humiliation. "My daughter uses this", he says to me. I thought it might help with your skin "problem". I've noticed it's gotten much worse lately. It's pro-active. I'm sitting there in shock, not knowing what to do, about to CRY. Then, me, (being the people pleaser I am) starts babbling on about how "oh yea, I've seen this before, blah blah". I had NO idea what to say/do. I wasn't about to explain to him that I've tried this, and everything else, 100 times before. I couldn't say how I was doing a new treatment. I couldn't say anything. I was absolutely horrified. It was humiliating! And I basically took it as "I can't stand to look at your acne-covered face anymore, so you better try something to fix it". I dont know if thats what he was meaning or not, but that is certainly how I took it.

2. Before my current job, I worked at a preschool. This was right when I was having my first bought of really bad acne. Again, another treatment, requiring no makeup. I'm sitting on the floor playing with one of the kids, and he points to my face and goes "What is all over your face? What are those red things? What's wrong with your skin????" Again, mortification and humiliation. I HATE being around kids when I have acne. I know they all look at you like you're a mutant or something, and a lot of times they ask RUDE questions in front of adults...and then what are you supposed to say?

But anyway, those are the top 2, I'd have to say most embarrasing on my list. I've got a ton more though! What are some of yours?

Your second incident was a lot like mine with my nephews.

My complexion isn't as bad now as it used to be, but when they were really young, they would say stuff like that about it, and ask me if I got hurt. I'd just change the subject real quick. I wasn't sure what to say back to a 3 year old!

once a kid asked me why i had so many mosquitoe bites...lol, but they dont know ne better so i cant even be mad

but grownups -grrrrrr the worst to me is my bfs mom who always points it out..and sometimes tries to help--- SHE ONCE said "i heard peperation H works to reduce swelling, you should try it on your acne"

this said infront of my bf--- it was all too embarassing

but its all gud ice princess, its juss dirt, brush it off

Guest evenstar

People are so insensitive, they think that you have let yourself go.

And that your not bothered, and that you haven't tried anything to help it, even though in truth you re spending all your money on it, spend all your time thinking about it and more time researching it.

I remember when i first got my acne when i was 13, and it was the christmas family get together, the last time they saw me i still had my baby face, clear and beautiful, so when i turned up at christmas in front of everyone, my Grandpa goes, "what happened to your face?" and eveyone laughed in shock and cz it makes them feel good to laugh at someones misfortune.

I mean if you can't feel comfortable infront of your family who can you feel good with?

Anyways, fuck em.

xevenstarx

once a kid asked me why i had so many mosquitoe bites...lol, but they dont know ne better so i cant even be mad

but grownups -grrrrrr the worst to me is my bfs mom who always points it out..and sometimes tries to help--- SHE ONCE said "i heard peperation H works to reduce swelling, you should try it on your acne"

People are so insensitive, they think that you have let yourself go.

And that your not bothered, and that you haven't tried anything to help it, even though in truth you re spending all your money on it, spend all your time thinking about it and more time researching it.

I remember when i first got my acne when i was 13, and it was the christmas family get together, the last time they saw me i still had my baby face, clear and beautiful, so when i turned up at christmas in front of everyone, my Grandpa goes, "what happened to your face?" and eveyone laughed in shock and cz it makes them feel good to laugh at someones misfortune.

I mean if you can't feel comfortable infront of your family who can you feel good with?

Anyways, fuck em.

xevenstarx

OMG Your boyfriends mom! In front of your boyfriend? That's like, so evil. lol.

When someone comments on your acne it definatly sucks!

One time when I was in junior high and my skin was starting to get pretty bad. I was in my computer class, and the teacher was taking pictures of everybody without them knowing it with his digital camera. for fun, he just so happened to put my picture on the T.V. screen. A couple of kids said something along the lines of "look at all of those zits!" It was sooo embarrassing! Ahh, the joys of adolescence.

It does suck when people ask about your acne. I'm on accutane and everyone I meet is saying "why are you so red?" etc.

But seriously I think most of them are just trying to help, and not having the experience themselves they don't really know what to say.. Like I think your boss who gave you the proactive wasnt trying to tell you your acne is bad and he couldnt put up with it. He wanted to be nice. I just try not to care, and not take it all too seriously.

Once my bf's grandma (80s) asked why my face was so very red. His mom tried to help by saying "I think she has a sunburn"...I just agreed and left it at that.

to the OP

don't be surprised about your boss's comments

people in western society are raised in a culture of treating the symptoms instead of solving the root cause, jumping the first chance they get at the magic pill like a pathetic slave to big pharma

-When I go to water parks, bacne and my make-up getting washed off makes me very self conscience.

-When I go places with my friends who are gorgeous and clear.

I've never had a bad experience with people mentioning my acne, it's just me being self conscience.

I was at a Buddhist temple and well Cambodians mostly say whats on their minds and like 3 of my moms friends are like " wow you have pimpole on your face are you using anything for it?" they actually said pimpole...Asian accent. another one just pointed to her face talking to my mom in khmer

getting to a chinese restaurant and the old chinese lady asking what was on my face :(

I had been eating something messy and asked my friend if i had anything round my mouth (so i could wipe it off) and he just said "No, nothing....just spots."

My stomach sunk.

i think i had something like Ice Princess's no1 experience... someone got me a Proactiv for christmas... i was grateful but kinda embarrassed b/c i was now aware that my acne became that horrible...

Stupid kids. They always say stupid shit in front of other adults. I always tell them: "One day you'll have it too, bitch."

Oh god, I gotta tell this

I had a small breakout on my chin about a year ago {it was very small and contained} They left some redmarks that were stubborn and wouldn't go away.

I got so mad at the redmarks, I decided to scratch and pick them. My whole chin was a scab {literally, one big scab} And I had to go to school.

People asked me if I had herpes, it was terrible. I had my head down in all my classes, I coulldn't talk to anyone confidently. Even teachers were staring at me.

But I haven't picked since, so I guess experience is the best teacher, and now the marks are gone.

^

sounds like me when i went to grade 12 high school one day with fairly developed chicken pox

got quite a few stares until i said "ya it's chicken pox" at which point the people talking to me said "omg why are you at school then ?"

I have a couple of stories because of my acne:

1. I sometimes breakout really bad and I try to hide it with my makeup and hair. BUT...my boyfriend will notice and try to move my hair and be like "What's that?" It just sucks because I want to feel cute, sexy, and confident around him, but it's really hard to with acne :(

2. I had I really bad pimple and it left a whole in my face, it eventually cleared up :) BUT...my dad was all "What's that? Is that a whole on your face?" No shit.

3. In middle school, I started to breakout. Me and my mother picked up my two guy friends to come to our house and hang out. On the was to my house, we stoped by my aunts. My uncle came out and talked to me and my mom. He noticed all my acne and gave me this huge speech in front of my mom and my two friends about how I shouldn't take drugs and drugs are not good for me! I couldn't believe he thought I was on drugs just because my face was breaking out! I was not a junkie! Just a hormonal teenager.

lol, aww man, my friends were ruthless. They'd point out a breakout and ask me if I'd introduce my "friend". Then imitate me introducing myself and my pimple, I had to laugh at it because it was funny but it does effect your confidence when you reflect on it.

oh man i gotta few of these!

when i was on my first few months of tazorac i had a really bad initial breakout..

a neighbor of mine actually knocked on my door to suggest somthing..soap or something..

a second time i was on the elevator and another neighbor tells me, "whats all this?" pointing at the side of mycheek...i was horrified

then i remember in highschool i was with my bff and her dumb bo...hes staring at her face and she asks him, "what do i have something on myface??" to which he says "no you dont...if anything jamie (thats me) should be asking that question" i have never forgotten this cuz he did it to be mean...some people no matter how obnoxious and embarrassing it may seem really do have good intentions and since they have not had acne before they dont really know how to react and they think that they are helping...but my bff's bo is a real jack ass...but jokes on him cuz now my face has cleared (well mostly) and hes gotten really fat!! loser!!!

The other day I was sitting in the break room of my work place. I swear Im never sitting up there ever again. I call it the gossip room and the lets ask Molly stupid questions room. This one woman says to me in front of other people, "What happened to your face?! Its getting worse?" Last week tons of people would ask me that. People visiting their relative in the nursing home would ask me that, this one charge nurse looked at me like she thought I was repulsive said, "Molly you have so many pimples! Stop eating chocolate!" Ive been wearing make up now and no one has said anything. I will continue to wear make up everyday at work.