Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Elanorci

Ways to combat hormonal acne while on the DKR?

Hey everyone!

I've been on the DKR for more than six months and have had amazing success. Unfortunately, whenever "that time of the month" rolls around, I break out. So far I haven't found a good way to combat this hormonal breakout. Does anyone have any advice?

Any and all tips are appreciated. Thanks!

Hello =] The only thing i've been able to do to combat my hormonal acne is taking birth control (which reminds me... I forgot to take my pill today!)

I am experimenting with dealing with my monthly breakouts. A couple veteran members are using Aleve to combat their monthly breakouts and have had success with it. I just started it this month so I cant testify as to how well it works yet. You can read about it here http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Aleve-for...ne-t114587.html

Another veteran is drinking Green tea/Yogi Hormonal Balance tea (called Dong Quai Tonic). She says it has helped with her hormonal acne. Unfortunately I dont like tea so I skipped that experiment.

I have been reading about Spironolactone on the Prescription Acne Med board. You can find it here http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Hormonal-...CP-etc-f51.html I dont know if I have reached the point of desperation to resort to that drastic measure but I am close. I am researching it and educating myself about it.

Many of us are looking for ways to deal with those monthly breakouts. If you find that something is working for you please make sure you share it with everyone. Good Luck! Lorrie

Wow, thanks for all the info. Aleve? I wouldn't have thought of that. I'm going to try it straightaway-- I have a feeling this month's breakout isn't done yet! :doh:

Unfortunately, I don't think birth control is a plausible option for me. My mom would probably have a heart attack. :P

I'll look into all your suggestions and of course I will be happy to share anything that I find helpful. :)

Thanks again!

Wow, thanks for all the info. Aleve? I wouldn't have thought of that. I'm going to try it straightaway-- I have a feeling this month's breakout isn't done yet! :doh:

Unfortunately, I don't think birth control is a plausible option for me. My mom would probably have a heart attack. :P

I'll look into all your suggestions and of course I will be happy to share anything that I find helpful. :)

Thanks again!

I've known lots of girls who started birth control as teenagers for the sole purpose of acne management, they weren't even sexually active or anything. It's pretty common for a doctor or derm to prescribe young women BCPs for their acne, so you might mention this to your mom. There are some kinds of birth control pills that you can take continuously for several months and skip the placebo rows, effectively reducing the number of periods you have. I think that was my favorite part of being on the pill, being able to skip periods so that I don't have to have them while traveling.