Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
poordaughterhasacne

I have a question about BP 2.5%

I am really trying to have my daughter taper down on some of her products. She currently uses BP 10%. Has anyone gone from a 10% to a 2.5%? If so how did you do? Did you break out more? I just think the 10% is kinda harsh and her face is always red. I was hoping the 2.5 would still keep the acne at bay but lower her redness.

I switched from 10% BP to 2.5% in August of 2006 and found that it did wonders for my skin-- not just the acne, but the skin in general. If your daughter's skin is always red, it's a good sign that the BP is too strong. Irritating the skin can and does cause more acne, so I would definitely talk to her about switching.

I can't site my sources, but I've often heard that 2.5% and 10% are equally effective at fighting acne.

Best of luck to you and your daughter!

I switched from 10% BP to 2.5% in August of 2006 and found that it did wonders for my skin-- not just the acne, but the skin in general. If your daughter's skin is always red, it's a good sign that the BP is too strong. Irritating the skin can and does cause more acne, so I would definitely talk to her about switching.

I can't site my sources, but I've often heard that 2.5% and 10% are equally effective at fighting acne.

Best of luck to you and your daughter!

I was also using 10% BP before switching to 2.5%. Mind you I was only using it to spot treat but spot treating basically meant covering my whole jawline and hairline. Since switching my skin is much better off. I almost have my breakouts under control and no redness or irritation. The only reason I say "almost" is because my jawline still breaks out monthly but not nearly as bad as it used to be. I cant imagine using 10% on my whole face. That is going to destroy her skin not to mention the wrinkles she is going to have when she gets older. She will look 60 by the time she is 45. I really hope you can convince her to change the percentage of BP while her skin is still young enough to recooperate from it. Lorrie

P.S. Tell her that Dans BP is better than any BP product she can buy at any strength. I am amazed at how well it works.

It may be because we live in a "more is better" culture and the market (or we consumers) choose our products based on that assumption. Since BP is so hugely drying and rather harsh on the gentle skin of the face, 10% is used primarily for spot treating. For many people, this is enough (they treat their acne as it occurs). For those with potential volumes of acne that can sprout in every predictable and unpredictable place, a program of "preventative" overall treatment of 2.5% BP twice a day works best over the long run. It helps to prevent acne from forming in the first place and is not overly drying (when used with a good moisturizer).

Yeah, what Stingray said! The uninformed consumer will go straight for the stuff listed as "maximum strength".

Also, I think it is much, much easier to apply BP uniformly and invisibly when you are using more. Using lots of 10% or 5% all over your face is difficult because of the irritation, but using lots of 2.5% isn't nearly as harsh. When your goal is to treat your whole face and get a decent amount of BP on there, I personally prefer to use 2.5% because of the ease in application.

Yeah, what Stingray said! The uninformed consumer will go straight for the stuff listed as "maximum strength".

Also, I think it is much, much easier to apply BP uniformly and invisibly when you are using more. Using lots of 10% or 5% all over your face is difficult because of the irritation, but using lots of 2.5% isn't nearly as harsh. When your goal is to treat your whole face and get a decent amount of BP on there, I personally prefer to use 2.5% because of the ease in application.