Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LordButler

Why not Accutane?

I had a friend go on accutane... and he got realy bad back pain and it lowered his immune system so much he caught some infections that were pretty bad, which he normally wouldnt have gotten. He only took it for 4 months. and he still had back pain now. And he does sports so he's upset that he cant do sports or workout as much now. he regrets taking it because his back pains and him getting really sick and catching viruses and infections.

It just depends on the person and dose though. But I think accutane should be a last resort... like VERY LAST and only for severe acne only.

If your acne isn't that bad then there should be no reason to use Accutane..mine isn't that bad..and I wouldn't try accutane because of the side affects..like liver problems etc..so it really should only be a last resort..and for people who have really bad acne :think:

bro. im older than u, listen up.

well, i might listen up if anything you said was based in fact, not ridiculous claims like "if you are depressed and take accutane, you will probably kill yourself" or "it will screw up the process of evolution" you have yet to show any evidence to support your claims. oh, wait, you know someone in high school that took accutane, that obviously makes you an expert in the field. there is absolutely no evidence to suggest accutane can cause hair loss years after it was taken, if that were the case there would be a LOT more bald young people. it can cause hair loss while you are on it (one of the more rare side effects) but not years later.

oh, i guess i should also mention that my aunt went on accutane in the 80s and still has a full head of hair, and no acne (but bad scarring.) i know this, by no means, proves anything. but it does disprove your theory that EVERYONE who took accutane will go bald.

There's side effects with any drug you take :doh: if you google about any drug.. there will always be bad ratings and bad reviews and possible long term effects.

Accutane was a literal God-send for me. Dan's regimen never worked for me since I am allergic to BP.

My PAINFUL and SEVERE cystic acne was ruining my life. I cried everyday, I was in pain, I never went out, my relationships were suffering, and my face was scarring.

I cleared up by the 2nd week, and now i'm nearly one month post tane and my skin looks effing amazing. No side effects except some sun sensitivety. (which I dont mind)

I get down on my knees everyday and thank the Lord for the man who created this drug. Who knows where I would be (or if I would even be here) without it.

ROCK ON ACCUTANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub::wub::wub:

btw, i'd MUCH rather suffer later on with joint aches and hairloss then severe acne and severe depression.

Guys,

This doesn't have to be an either/or situation. There is no contest here. And bickering about it will never change anyone's minds.

If your acne is not responding to otc products, by all means see a dermatologist and discuss with him/her if Accutane or other medications might be a good idea for you. The bottom line is finding something that works and you are comfortable with using.

I have taken Accutane twice. Once when I was 17 and then again when I was 19. The first time it worked but only for a year and then my acne came back even worse than it was before. The second time it was the same scenario. It worked for a year and then the acne came back worse. So instead of taking it a third time, knowing that it probably wouldn't last and that it's not exactly good for you, I found this site when I was 21 and started Dan's regimen.

other than Accutane I had tried everything under the sun... all kinds of antibiotics, birth control, salicylic acid, differin gel, retin-A.... SO many dermatologist appointments, so much money. The only thing that has consistantly worked has been Dan's regimen and I've been on it for 5 years.

Also, thought I would quickly add that it really only takes me about 5 minutes to put BP on my face.

I would wash and moisturize whether I was on the regimen or not so I don't count the time it takes to do that. It's really very easy.

Sorry I had to add a few more things after reading the thread a little more.

I just had to say that not everyone who takes accutane is going to have life altering side effects. Not everyone will go bald, not everyone will have life long back pain, not everyone will become depressed, etc. Everyone is different. Everyone will be affected differently. Some people will experience these things and some won't, as with any drug. Granted, I'm a female, but I definately have not had any problems with hair loss and it's been 7 years since I last took it and I took it twice. My mom took it in her 20's (she's now 60) and is fine.

The decision to take accutane is not one to be taken lightly but it's also a personal decision. I've seen accutane do wonders for a lot of people. I have a few friends that took it years ago and are still acne free - my mom included, 40 years later.

It just didn't work for me, not permanently anyway.

Basically whoever said it's not an "either/or" situation was right. Everyone has got to find what works for THEM. It's not a competition. It's just that everyone is built differently and it might take different measures to clear them up properly. I think that needs to be respected from ALL sides.

Guys,

This doesn't have to be an either/or situation. There is no contest here. And bickering about it will never change anyone's minds.

If your acne is not responding to otc products, by all means see a dermatologist and discuss with him/her if Accutane or other medications might be a good idea for you. The bottom line is finding something that works and you are comfortable with using.

I'll probably go on Accutane as soon as autumn starts. DKR works for my face but I started to get nasty breakouts on my chest and back.

Accutane was a literal God-send for me. Dan's regimen never worked for me since I am allergic to BP.

My PAINFUL and SEVERE cystic acne was ruining my life. I cried everyday, I was in pain, I never went out, my relationships were suffering, and my face was scarring.

I cleared up by the 2nd week, and now i'm nearly one month post tane and my skin looks effing amazing. No side effects except some sun sensitivety. (which I dont mind)

I get down on my knees everyday and thank the Lord for the man who created this drug. Who knows where I would be (or if I would even be here) without it.

btw, i'd MUCH rather suffer later on with joint aches and hairloss then severe acne and severe depression.

seriously, I know a ton of people who have taken accutane. Me, 2 of my best friends, my mom, and my husband.... NONE of them (myself included) have suffered ANY hair loss and it's been over 5 years for all of us.

I mean, yeah, it happens some of the time... but lets stop treating it like it's the norm because that's really not fair. Also, I thought I would add that anyone who is perscribed accutane must be made aware of these side effects. Yes, hair loss is possible but it's a risk people might be willing to take and it doesn't happen 100% of the time.

another thing I had to add after doing a little research (sorry) is that the man who started using Isotretinoin to cure acne didn't start off using it for chemotherapy. He released it originally for the treatment of acne. It is used as an anti-cancer drug for certain skin cancers presently.

seriously, I know a ton of people who have taken accutane. Me, 2 of my best friends, my mom, and my husband.... NONE of them (myself included) have suffered ANY hair loss and it's been over 5 years for all of us.

I mean, yeah, it happens some of the time... but lets stop treating it like it's the norm because that's really not fair. Also, I thought I would add that anyone who is perscribed accutane must be made aware of these side effects. Yes, hair loss is possible but it's a risk people might be willing to take and it doesn't happen 100% of the time.

I guess so but you know what? I knew about these side effects before I decided to go through with the treatment and I decided for myself that it was the right thing for me at the time. Like I said though, my mother is very much post-menopausal and she has a full head of hair.

So, yes it would suck to be the 1 out of the 100 but that's just the way most drugs work, isn't it? The majority of them have side effects and people need to weigh the pro's and con's to see if it's worth it for them

I'm not really trying to quibble here because I really do believe that it's not about what acne drug is better than the other...

I believe that people have the right to make educated decisions on what they should do without someone else telling them that they've made the wrong one.

Ok, I've gone on long enough about this one subject. The rest is up to you guys to discuss. :)

I guess so but you know what? I knew about these side effects before I decided to go through with the treatment and I decided for myself that it was the right thing for me at the time. Like I said though, my mother is very much post-menopausal and she has a full head of hair.

So, yes it would suck to be the 1 out of the 100 but that's just the way most drugs work, isn't it? The majority of them have side effects and people need to weigh the pro's and con's to see if it's worth it for them

I'm not really trying to quibble here because I really do believe that it's not about what acne drug is better than the other...

I believe that people have the right to make educated decisions on what they should do without someone else telling them that they've made the wrong one.

Ok, I've gone on long enough about this one subject. The rest is up to you guys to discuss. :)

The man who created this drug didn't tell you that he made it for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy... So, if you start to lose hair in a few years, don't be surprised.

But you are impaired when you made that decision. Unlike the chances of getting side effects of most drugs, being fit or healthy doesn't better your chances of not losing hair after using Accutane. If you used it, you are just as likely to get hair loss as any other user. So it's really luck. and I hope you have the best luck in the world, because you gonna need it.

If it happens 100% of the time, the drug would not be on the market, missy. Let's say it's 1%... it means 1 out of 100. If you are that one, which you would be just as likely as any other Accutane user, you'd be screwed the rest of your life. By the way, the side effects surface for females after menapause. So I guess after 38 or 39, you'll see whether you are affected or not.

ROFL @ menopause at 38 or 39. :lol:

Just to correct this misinformation, the average age of menopause onset is around 51.

And I've never heard of side effects of Accutane showing up after menopause.