Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LordButler

Why not Accutane?

Why do you choose Kern's regimen over Accutane?

Kern's Regimen takes hours out of your day to apply, whereas Accutane takes seconds for you to swallow. And, the effect of Kern's regimen is only temporary, whereas Accutane is permanent.

I used to choose Kern's regimen, because it actually helped give me perfect skin for about a year. (or perhaps it was longer, I don't remember cause it's been so long ago.)

The reason you would choose Kern's regimen is because: you don't have severe acne, and don't want to endure the side-effects or possible dangers of Accutane.

While you're on accutane, there's tons of stuff you can't do. Like going out into the sun for long periods of time or drink alcohol. (Bah)

Accutane can give you joint aches, if so, you'll have more trouble performing in sports.

And I spend just as much time applying moisturizer, sunblock, chapstick and eyedrops as I did applying BP gel back then...

And accutane isn't permanent. There's simply a good chance that it will have an effect that lasts long enough so that by the time you'd get acne again, you have grown out of it. The effect is typically a few years, if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, you'll need a second course of accutane, so you can go through all of the side effects once again.

If I didn't have moderate-severe acne, I would never ever have concidered taking accutane.

I have never tried Dan's regimen... I'm not saying it's bad, I've just never tried it...

Personally I hate BP.... Well anyways I love tane, it hasn't completely cleared me but that's nothing a few toicals can't fix.

accutane is one of the most dangerous things you can do to your body.. why wouldn't you try to get rid of your acne with something 100000000000000X safer.. People have reported side effect from accutane beginning 5-10 years later.. these include chronic fatigue syndrom, psychological problems, and organ failure.. I love how people think tane just dries you up. actually I hate it, and I hate drug companies for even making it and doctors for prescribing it..

God is Love...

accutane is one of the most dangerous things you can do to your body.. why wouldn't you try to get rid of your acne with something 100000000000000X safer.. People have reported side effect from accutane beginning 5-10 years later.. these include chronic fatigue syndrom, psychological problems, and organ failure.. I love how people think tane just dries you up. actually I hate it, and I hate drug companies for even making it and doctors for prescribing it..

God is Love...

You have to jump through a lot of hoops to get accutane, especially now with IPLEDGE. In order for me to get on accutane now I would need to have an appointment with a derm (probably would take several months to get in), probably try a whole bunch of other treatments first that they prescribe like retinoids and antibiotics and keep trying new things for another year, get back on a birth control pill for a month before I start an accutane course, and only after that point might I be able to start my course. This doesn't even take into account the huge amount of money I would have to spend on the derm appointments, accutane itself (which is very very expensive if your insurance won't cover it) and all the treatments before accutane. If you want accutane, it's not as easy as just going to a derm and just getting on it for most people. Your acne also needs to be severe or persistent enough to be around even after all the treatments before accutane that you try. My acne is moderate, but it succumbs easily to benzoyl peroxide, so most derms wouldn't take the risk of prescribing accutane to me given that the regimen controls my acne completely. Basically, the regimen treats inflammatory acne that isn't severe enough to warrant accutane, it's not like people on the regimen make the choice "the regimen vs. accutane" since accutane never really was an option for them.

Also, with the 'hoop jumping' with Accutane, females have to go in for routine pregnancy tests (what my doctor explained to me). I have mild to moderate acne, and he said that Accutane was an option, but only of last resort and that, as CAKD said, it is not routinely proscribed or recommended for those individuals with anything less than severe acne.

The bottom line for me: anytime I can avoid internal treatment for anything, I do. And the regimen is not that difficult!=)

it's expensive

it's difficult to get.

it has side effects.

that being said, accutane is a wonderful drug and i would gladly take it again if i had to. i did get one completely out of the blue breakout after accutane, but it cleared up, i'm not sure what caused it or if it was even acne, it seemed kind of like hives.

accutane is one of the most dangerous things you can do to your body

actually I hate it, and I hate drug companies for even making it and doctors for prescribing it..

actually I hate it, and I hate drug companies for even making it and doctors for prescribing it..

I disagree. All research towards curing acne is good. No one should suffer from severe acne.

If accutane didn't exist, alot of people with severe acne would be depressed and suicidal. And taking accutane sure as hell beats killing yourself.

By the way, I'm still only talking about more severe cases of acne. There's also alot of people who have mild acne and take accutane, something I feel just isn't right.

You shouldn't ban accutane, it's ALWAYS nice to have an additional option in terms of acne cures.

talk to me about your quality life when ur bald @ 25 and your acne comes back repeatedly.. The only people I know that are older than 30 that took accutane (3 out or 3) , still get acne and still go on accutane.. I think that it delays you growing out of it and now you need accutane to stay clear. . . . .

unless you are about to kill yourself I don't think anyone should go on accutane. I think there is a cure for everyone besides accutane. Plus if you are depressed and you go on accutane you probably will kill yourself.

Im glad if has truly helped people but in the long run I dont think its worth it. .

BTW>. I am not a spiteful person jealous of accutane users who are now clear.. I am on Dans regimine. and eat a very healthy diet and am almost 100% clear.... def will be in a month .. 2nd month of regimen.

Why do you choose Kern's regimen over Accutane?

Kern's Regimen takes hours out of your day to apply, whereas Accutane takes seconds for you to swallow. And, the effect of Kern's regimen is only temporary, whereas Accutane is permanent.

I've done both, so I feel qualified to comment.

I choose Dan's regimen because Accutane was NOT permanent for me. I've already done it and the effects didn't last. I don't particularly want or need to do another round at this point.

Also, for a great many people, their acne is not severe enough to warrant accutane and Dan's regimen is a great affordable easily attainable treatment.

And btw, Dan's regimen does not take hours out of the day.

talk to me about your quality life when ur bald @ 25 and your acne comes back repeatedly..

Because I was allergic to benzoyl peroxide that's why! That's like me chucking DKR down the drain. I get rashes whenever I use Bp even on spot treats that can actually spread. Another reason that I take accutane because I have exhausted all options available. You name it, antibiotics, Retin-A, differin, oral contraceptives, I have done them all. I have mild-moderate acne and am sick and tired of waking up to see a fresh new pimple looking at me so I decide to go on it. I can handle the side effects I guess as oppose to seeing new pimples everyday.

Anyway there's no IPledge thing in Singapore, I got accutane straightaway from my last visit to my derm without having to wait 30days but I was made to sign a document saying I wasn't going to get pregnant, I don't need to take contraceptive as well.

I do get moody occasionally but I attibute that to stress and maybe a little side effect from dianette that I took previously but I don't have sucidal thoughts plus my mum stays at home so she can look after me should anything weird does happen.

Even if I were to do DKR, I wouldn't do it for long. Everything has side effects including DKR. It makes you age faster then you should and red marks say longer then they should be. Some people say that DKR actually does give them wrinkles.

I have weigh out the pros and cons of doing accutane, the permanent result is what I want. I don't mind enduring 8 months of side effects because there is a very high chance that I might get cured potentially( since I am already 20 and may outgrow acne) as my derm says and I don't mine taking the risk. This is my story.

Accutane can be a lifesaver for some people, and for others it isn't.

Luckily there is a vast array of treatment options out there.

Hi -

I'm on week 5 of low-dose Accutane. I didn't have teen acne, but last year at 38, started to get more acne, especially on my chin. It may be part hormonal and part my skin changing. I tried TONS of topicals and antibiotics - doxy, mino, doryx, oracea, etc. All worked to some degree while I was on them, but when off them, the acne returned. Got some nice red marks on my chin to boot! Most of my face is clear, but my Derm. suggested low-dose Accutane.... This was at the end of 2006 and honestly, I kick myself for not starting sooner.

Again, I'm 5 weeks in and my face is SUPER smooth.... I didn't get a nasty IB, only a few more chin pimples. Nothing major. I don't need to blot my face (needed to blot my oily t-zone atleast 2-3x a day). My chin acne is much less and the red marks are fading since I'm not getting more pimples there... The blackheads on my nose for the first time, look really clear and my skin much more healthy. Yes, I do have some aches/pains and occassional moodiness, but the results outweigh the sides at this point. If my opinion changes, will let ya know, but for now, I can only see my skin get better and better. It's really amazing and am glad I bit the bullet to give it a go!

Yvette

Jordan is spittin' fire over here.

It isn't that difficult to spit fire at the logic incapable. :lol:

talk to me about your quality life when ur bald @ 25 and your acne comes back repeatedly..

if accutane makes your hair thin it does it while you are on it, not 5 years later. my hair is still exactly the same as it was before accutane, sorry.

I think that it delays you growing out of it and now you need accutane to stay clear

My friend (a girl) and my neighbor (a guy) both used accutane many many years ago... and their hair is better than ever. :shrug: