Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Drainer15

Retin A too strong, Differin too weak, should I try Ziana or Finacea?

Hi,

I'm 20 and I've been struggling with acne since I was 11. My derm prescribed me Differin and Neobenz micro back in February and I've had moderate success. My face is about 95% clear and Differin seems to treat my face pretty well (I don't get over dried or irritated), but my cheeks are still terrible in terms of how clogged my pores are and the amount of acne I get there.

I had tried Retin A micro last year only for it to leave my skin red, flaky, super oily, and acne covered.

My derm said I should now try Ziana (clindamycin and tretinoin), however I'm worried about how my face will react to it because of my bad experience with Retin A. I don't want my entire face to break out just to try and clear up this last 5% problem area.

Also, I've read some good stuff on this board about Finacea. I'm thinking this may be the solution so I don't have to risk a horrible breakout with Ziana.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance

you can actually use both ziana and finacea at the same time. i think retin a is a great product if you can get past the first 2 months with it. the clyndamycin in ziana should help reduce a IB you might get from the tretinoin, so it probably won't be as harsh as the retin a. tazorac is also a good option.

^thats what i might try. Ziana isn't working quite as well for me as it used to a couple months ago, so i'm gonna go back to the derm and get some Finacea samples.

Hopefully finacea in the morning and ziana+finacea at night will work. Or just drop ziana and use finacea.

I dont have any irritation with Ziana at all. I had some with Differin though. Some other people said they didnt have any irritation really either. i think you should be fine. Just dont use a lot. It spreads really easily!

Would it be okay for me to apply the Ziana along with the Differin? I'd like to continue using Differin in the areas I don't have too many issues (Forehead, nose, chin, sides of face) and just apply ziana either in place of or on top of the Differin on my cheeks (where I have major problems with clogged pores)

Anyone know if there's any type of reaction between Differin and Ziana? I'm applying Differin first, waiting about 10-15 mins, then applying the Ziana.

Thanks in advance

Would it be okay for me to apply the Ziana along with the Differin? I'd like to continue using Differin in the areas I don't have too many issues (Forehead, nose, chin, sides of face) and just apply ziana either in place of or on top of the Differin on my cheeks (where I have major problems with clogged pores)

How is Ziana working for everyone that is on it? ;)

I'm also going from Differin to Ziana and I'm wondering how the changeover is going to go. I'd hate to have the progress that was made on Differin get messed up after switching over but the derm didn't have any samples of Differin 0.3 for me to try yet. :P I have my HS reunion coming up in August and if my face is all broke because of this stuff, I'll be mega pissed! :doubt: