Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShinyFalcon

Eating cereal as a snack

I've been recently eating cereal (specifically Froot Loops or Fruity Cheerios) in place of junk food I love (Hot Lays, Hot fries, etc x_X) a lot lately. Do you think it's okay for me to continue doing this? I'm eating about three or more bowls of cereal a day, but I do worry a bit because some of my cereals have lots of sugar in it.

As far as my skin goes, it fluctuates from feeling good to feeling itchy. I get small acne, but nothing too severe. I've linked my feeling bad to not enough water, so I've been drinking a lot of water as well. What's worse than acne for me is the rash on my face, where little blisters suddenly burst and ooze out. It's not pretty, and very frustrating. Gratefully, it stopped, and I hope it stays that way..

Those kind of cereals are considered junk food. You may want to switch to eating Kashi cereal and only eating it once a day for breakfast. You arent getting any protein if you eat only cereal that many times a day. You need your meat group, your vegetables, etc

Oh my gosh! I love cereal. I have been known to eat just cereal for every meal for weeks on end. But, yeah. It's probably not a good idea. My friends and family tell me off for it because eating just cereal isn't going to give me all the nutrients and whatnot that the body needs. Ummm...maybe this is why I have problems with my skin.

They say (I'm not sure who they are) that you should have everything in moderation. Like, too much of just one thing is not good for you. I guess you could have cereal as a snack as well as for breakfast as long as you're getting in some proper nutritious meals too. I dunno.

Cereal is made from grains, grains are bad for acne sufferers and for general health =[

Cereal is made from grains, grains are bad for acne sufferers and for general health =[

The bold part is bs.

Oh my gosh! I love cereal. I have been known to eat just cereal for every meal for weeks on end. But, yeah. It's probably not a good idea. My friends and family tell me off for it because eating just cereal isn't going to give me all the nutrients and whatnot that the body needs. Ummm...maybe this is why I have problems with my skin.

They say (I'm not sure who they are) that you should have everything in moderation. Like, too much of just one thing is not good for you. I guess you could have cereal as a snack as well as for breakfast as long as you're getting in some proper nutritious meals too. I dunno.

Cereal is a waste of time to consume. It is poor in nutritional quality and it is a disaster to teeth. If you want dazzling teeth like me, use oatmeal instead. Case closed.

:ninja:

Cereal is a waste of time to consume. It is poor in nutritional quality and it is a disaster to teeth. If you want dazzling teeth like me, use oatmeal instead. Case closed.:ninja:

:lol: same, I used to have cereal for breakfast, lunch, and supper :crazy:

And as for grains, I thought you're suppose to get a serving of 6-7 grains per day?

Is it ok for you to continue? I dunno, you can find out the answer to that.

As far as health wise -- you can definitely make wiser choices with your eating habits. Fruit Loops are loaded with sugar. You're basically eating candy x amount of times a day. Not exactly the healthiest thing to consider -- especially as a key point of your diet. Switch those cereals up with some oats, and maybe some brown sugar to sweeten things up, and you'll be on the right track.

The bold part is bs.

he was asking about grains in general, of the unrefined/whole variety

because all grains are inflammatory in nature i believe

Very interesting read... I've always knew the sugar wasn't going to do me any good, but I've learned some new things from you guys. I always thought all cereal was good for you.

Any recommendations? I used to eat those Quaker Oat oatmeals where you add water and heat it up. But it has sugar in it too, so I'm not too sure.

Very interesting read... I've always knew the sugar wasn't going to do me any good, but I've learned some new things from you guys. I always thought all cereal was good for you.

Any recommendations? I used to eat those Quaker Oat oatmeals where you add water and heat it up. But it has sugar in it too, so I'm not too sure.

just get regular quaker rolled oats

add them to some boiling water and cook until they absorb most of the water and are tender

then add whatever sweetener (preferably not table sugar!), fruit, other stuff you want

not sure if this has been mentioned, but all that milk might be contributing to your acne. milk and sugar are huge acne triggers for me and many others.

I love cereals, but have given them up for a test - due to the fact some sugar is in virtually all cereals (and I don't really want to eat twigs for my breakfast). I do eat some porridge oats now, and even that has some sugar in it - but a lower amount than usual.

As for the milk thing, a lot of people appear to be lactose intolerant (lactose is a form of sugar in dairy products) which appears to be because you dont have enough lactase in your small intestine (which breaks it down). You may not be 100% lactose intolerant, and you can get products that contain lactase (digestive enzymes & lactase added to dairy products). Other people have stopped taking dairy altogether, then after a while reintroduced it gradually with success. The body is surprisingly adaptive if you give it time to recover. I imagine this is because you can overdose on lactose over a long period and it doesnt give the lactase a chance to recover.

Lactose Intolerance

As for grain being 100% bad for you, i haven't seen evidence for this. It contains good & bad elements, just like most foods. If you take it in excess then yes, you probably will get problems. I've seen quite a bit of research that getting over 70% of your calories from grain is bad in the long term and that seems reasonable. I tend to ignore most of these crazy food group restricting diets, and the websites that go on about the "food" conspiracies. Most organisations (government or commercial) tell you to eat what you like in moderation, with a balanced diet and some exercise. Don't forget everyone can have allergies to certain food groups, or even individual foods - so you have to watch out for those things yourself - no one can easily tell you what your allergic to as some don't cause obvious reactions.

Food Allergy

As many have already said, cereals everyday isn't good for you. Especially not the sugary-kinds you have...Also the milk might be a reason for your acne.

I suggest that you get yourself some Kellogg's All-Bran cereal, i don't know what it's called in the US or UK, but in Finland it goes under the name All-Bran Plus (27% fiber) and All-Bran Regular (15% fiber). I usually have the 27% but occasionally I have the regular ones since they taste better :D because I have a feeling that milk might break me out I tend to only eat this a couple times a week for breakfast. I also often have them with naturel youghurt and blueberries or raspberries. I know that all-brans are pretty high in salt - but i still love them because of their huge amount of fibers.