Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JMoO

THe regimen is not working

I have been using this for a little over a month, at times it seems to have helped slightly, but i remember there have been days or two that id wake up and see many more pimples.

I do this thing 100% perfectly, sometimes i even avoid the moisturizer just to make sure it stays dry. I attribute the problem to the fact that its humid as hell and that i exercise(run/weight train), because even if my skin is dry from the BP, how can i stop my pores from clogging from the sweat? By the way - doesnt acne appear only where hair grows? im getting alot on the sides of my forehead, and no hair grows there(alot of it too).

This is a ironic bs for me, i dont understand why it happens. I realy dont get what to do about this crap anymore, even if they go away for a short while, red marks linger from before, making this a neverending impossible battle to win.

Making your face dry doesn't make the regimen work better--that's why Dan recommends that you use a moisturizer! Most people who do it like you do without the moisturizer end up getting better results once they add a moisturizer in. The regimen does NOT work by drying out your acne (it does initially to some extent, certainly), but rather by killing the bacteria that cause acne. Dryness is an undesirable side effect that should be managed with regular use of a moisturizer.

Sweating doesn't clog pores and won't worsen your acne so long as you splash the residue off of your face when you're done (sweat from your hair might carry whatever might be in your hair like products, oil, etc. down to your face which is no good, but the sweat itself isn't problematic).

You need to actually follow the regimen (i.e. use a moisturizer at least once a day, twice for most people) and give it more time, since most people take about three months to completely clear up on it. Some people don't see any progress in the first month at all because their acne is persistent and they aren't used enough BP yet to control the acne bacteria populations. You should read over http://www.acne.org/regimen-biggest-mistakes.html just to make sure you're doing everything right.

Also, your diet/nutrition has a key role in the riddance of acne. There is a ton of information that can be found here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showforum=16

Running and weight training is GREAT. I lift/run 6 days a week - it helps fight acne by relieving stress.

As far as food goes, eat:

natural turkey and natural chicken, and also salmon.

lots of fruits and veggies (broccoli, green beans, asparagus)

non-salted mixed nuts

drink nothing but water (its all you need)

multivitamin

Coconut oil, fish oil, and a probiotic may also help (read up on it, use the Search function)

Also, if you're lifting, you'll probably want to get a protein powder along with L-Glutamine to aid in muscle growth/repair.

I have been using this for a little over a month, at times it seems to have helped slightly, but i remember there have been days or two that id wake up and see many more pimples.

I do this thing 100% perfectly, sometimes i even avoid the moisturizer just to make sure it stays dry. I attribute the problem to the fact that its humid as hell and that i exercise(run/weight train), because even if my skin is dry from the BP, how can i stop my pores from clogging from the sweat? By the way - doesnt acne appear only where hair grows? im getting alot on the sides of my forehead, and no hair grows there(alot of it too).

This is a ironic bs for me, i dont understand why it happens. I realy dont get what to do about this crap anymore, even if they go away for a short while, red marks linger from before, making this a neverending impossible battle to win.

Please don't give up on the regimen so fast! The other posters are right: It really does take more than a month for the real effects to show.

There's no guarantee that the regimen will work for you, but there are many people who have had amazing success with it. You owe it to yourself to stick with it for at least another month.

Best of luck!

you people who use that BP reg should all be aware that it will discolour your face and also BP can lead to skin cancer.

Hi JMoO! I have been using Dans regimen for 3 months and I am finally seeing results. I am not totally clear but my skin is no where near as bad as it used to be. Hang in there! You have to be patient! Unfortunately not everyone gets the miracle results in 3-4 weeks that some of the lucky ones get.

The moisturizer is an important step in the DKR. Please use it at least at night if you dont want to use it during the day. The redmarks will fade with time. Once you get the acne under control and dont have new redmarks appearing, you will start to notice that the old redmarks are getting lighter and lighter. Once you get the active crap under control you can start using chemical exfoliants to speed up the process. I have been using BHA for 2 months and with the exception of 2 really bad redmarks from cysts I can hardly see the rest of them. They are so light I have to really look for them now.

Just hang in there hun! You made it through the first month which is more than alot of people who come here can say. The regimen should be part of your daily routine now and not a pain in the ass like when you first started. Dont invest all that time just to quit now. Lorrie

thank you all for your support.

just to comment back;

Miha : i use everything the regimen suggests - however i have a 5% BP which i use off and on instead of the 2.5% because i feel that nothing is different other than the fact i am getting a higher concentration(yes people i realize i should follow it exactly, but this really make practically no difference, i feel i need a higher dosage than 2.5%)

cool as kim deal : rarely do i leave out the moisturizer, but sometimes when i dont go out in public i thought i made no difference, so i simply did not include it on some mornings. Expecting to completely clear up in 3 months is probably an overstatement, not only has it got worse since i began, it hasnt shown any signs of improvement. I will not stop using the regimen however, and yes i avoid all the mistakes.

Connie08 : excellent, so i have 2 more weeks left of acne only? thatd be awesome

martyp8617 : i eat the absolute best foods in my opinion, i eat all of the things you mentioned except mixed nuts, i have organic peanut butter instead. i use whey and glutamine as well.

Lorrie : Yea, i wont be quitting the regimen for sure, but i just never expected to actually have worse acne than i did before i began. Perhaps its just the amount of red marks i have, but im still sure that every morning i fight a new battle with new pimples.

anyway, i ran out of minocycline, and i think thats part of the reason the last day or two has been horrible. I think i might as well just get on accutane(which i have to wait a whole month just for the goddam appointment). so this next month is going to be absolutely unbearable for me, i hope i dont get anymore depressed about this on top of everything else than i already am.