Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My doctor and esth. told me to use only natural makeup from now on. Jane Iredale seems too pricey and they told me to go on ebay or the internet for better deals on mineral makeup (and non-animal fur brushes to apply it).

They told me "mineral" makeups only. Which I have decided to use.

She also said NOT to use "animal-fur makeup brushes" (think Blush brushes). And when we asked what brushes I needed, she said "like Boar's Bristle" and I have only been able to find a flimsy "fan" looking boar's brush which WOULDN'T work to put on powder makeup.

So if any of you who use this regimen, and have now CLEAR skin, what products like makeup minerals foundations/mineral concealor makeups do you use? (brands?)

Please help me pick out ebay mineral makeup (no bisthmus?) and a brush!

Also What laundry detergent do you use.

*sigh*

I sleep on my Right side, and my acne is on my Right side of my face! So I figure it must be the detergent contributing a little bc my pillow cases are always clean.

Thanks for any info you could offer to me : )

everyone knows what im gonna say... AUBREY NICOLE! the best ive used. they are having a great sale right now.. 20% off starter kits and 15% off all orders. its great stuff. great coverage. idk what their brushes are made out of. i think it says on the site. you can always email em n ask. i always get their starter kits.

Check out Everday Minerals (www.everdayminerals.com) Free samples (pay shipping) to find your color match they also sell brushes on their site and have EXCELLENT customer service. :)

I couldn't agree more...Everday Minerals is the way to go! Free samples (well, you only pay shipping), and the full-size products are so inexpensive compared to other mineral makeup out there. I've also heard of Signature Minerals, Aromaleigh, and Pur Minerals. Try them all until you get one that works for you (luckily, EM is the first one I tried and I LOVE it). Oh, I would stay away from Bare Escentuals/Bare Minerals...there's an ingredient (Bismuth Oxychloride) in it that can make skin worse and itchy...Good Luck!!
Check out Everday Minerals (www.everdayminerals.com) Free samples (pay shipping) to find your color match they also sell brushes on their site and have EXCELLENT customer service. :)

I second the Aubrey Nicole. Best coverage and colors. They have synthetic brushes that are amazing! No animal hair, so soft and compact and apply the mineral foundation so nice. I have the premium kabuki and love it! www.aubreynicole.com

I love aubrey nicole too!! Many colors and great coverage..and it doesnt cause breakouts! My skin cleared up after i started using it.. But now i broke out again after using liquid foundation. Going back to AN MMU..its da best

Laura Mercier Mineral Make-up with SPF 15 (Powder foundation)

Physician's Formula Summer Eclipse Sunlight Bronzer

Sonia Kashuk's Powder brush from Target

I believe her brushes are from synthetic hairs....she said that way it gives just the right amount of dusting.

My doctor and esth. told me to use only natural makeup from now on. Jane Iredale seems too pricey and they told me to go on ebay or the internet for better deals on mineral makeup (and non-animal fur brushes to apply it).

She also said NOT to use "animal-fur makeup brushes" (think Blush brushes). And when we asked what brushes I needed, she said "like Boar's Bristle" and I have only been able to find a flimsy "fan" looking boar's brush which WOULDN'T work to put on powder makeup.

So if any of you who use this regimen, and have now CLEAR skin, what products like makeup minerals foundations/mineral concealor makeups do you use? (brands?)

*sigh*

I sleep on my Right side, and my acne is on my Right side of my face! So I figure it must be the detergent contributing a little bc my pillow cases are always clean.

Boar Bristles are animal hair, pig hair to be exact. They are very stiff, scratchy and frequently used in hair brushes. I would NOT use them on your face.

Good, soft, cheap synthetic brushes are Essence of Beauty from CVS. The Sonia Kashuk line is really nice as well.

Laundry detergent: Fragance and dye free POWDER detergent (the liquid is SLS based and breaks me out). I only use white pillowcases and change them everyday - I use a pillow protector that I change once per week.

I bought the extremely cheap WalMart brand Pillow protectors to use as cases, 2 per pack, 4.50 or so. I bought 4 packs (8 pillow cases total).

2 12-pack bundles of terry cloth towels (24 total).

I wash all this together, with no other laundry, every 6 days.

Add 1/2 scoop fragrance free dye free (I use cheer) detergent, 1 Cup bleach, Hot wash.

If you have a downy ball - fill it with vinegar.

Sounds gross, I know - but fabric softener can be very irritating to acne prone skin. Vinegar helps 3 ways. 1: It softens the towels and cases. 2: It balances the pH so that bacteria has a harder time thriving. 3: It helps remove any remaining detergent residue. They actually use vinegar in the laundry for hospital sterilization. The smell does not last, don't worry.

lol, I know I sound neurotic - I swear it helps ;)

I'm another Everyday Minerals fan. I would definitely recommend them. While I don't think mineral makeup helps prevent or clear acne, a good MMU won't aggravate it. When I used traditional makeup & needed to cover a pustule it would almost always end up getting bigger & worse. With MMU, I can conceal a pimple without it getting worse.

As for brushes, go for a very soft & smooth, densely packed synthetic kabuki brush.

I would also recommend sable or Italian badger hair, but those are animal of course. Boar bristle tends to be very coarse & rough as someone else brought out.

An alternative to kabukis are flat top brushes, which I like quite a bit also.

Remember to gently wash your brushes after several uses too.

*sigh*

Mineral makeup has helped my skin clear up so so much. The two best mineral powders I found are Joppa minerals and Everyday Minerals.

I actually use both. With a big powder brush I first apply Joppa full coverage. Then for any red posts that may still be showing through, I use a smaller camouflage brush and cover them with Everyday Minerals semi-matte powder which is much much lighter and not as matte.

I find this is the perfect combination for me as my makeup does not look caked on and my skin looks flawless and makeupless.

Alima satin matte foundation. They have nice color range for every skin color. www.alimacosmetics.com. You can also looks at www.makeupalley.com to read opinions.

I only know the prices for Everyday Minerals. A full-size, 8 gram foundation (which definitely lasts over 1 month) is $12.00. They also have 2.5 gram minis for $6.00, but I'm not sure how long they last. When I got the free sample kit, the foundation lasted me about 3 weeks (using it like everyday). As far as brushes go, I know there are Vegan brushes online that are animal free @ veganunlimited.com, but they are more expensive than the Sonia brushes from Target. To find more animal hair free brushes, I would try looking up "vegan makeup brushes" on google or something. I'm trying to find some too, but it's hard to find some that are of a good-quality and inexpensive.

I only know the prices for Everyday Minerals. A full-size, 8 gram foundation (which definitely lasts over 1 month) is $12.00. They also have 2.5 gram minis for $6.00, but I'm not sure how long they last. When I got the free sample kit, the foundation lasted me about 3 weeks (using it like everyday). As far as brushes go, I know there are Vegan brushes online that are animal free @ veganunlimited.com, but they are more expensive than the Sonia brushes from Target. To find more animal hair free brushes, I would try looking up "vegan makeup brushes" on google or something. I'm trying to find some too, but it's hard to find some that are of a good-quality and inexpensive.

Oh thanks for the vegan makeup brushes idea! I never would have thought about that.

I'm googling a "kabuki" type vegan makeup brush as I read that goes best with mineral makeup.

Have any of you tried "TruMinerals" or "Smokey mountain minerals" (ebay great prices on this brand, but does it cover at all?) or even "Silky mineral makeup" ???

Those seem to be the best prices, no??

Have any of you found these to break you out or where they gentle on your skin?

I'm using CG foundation/Sally Hanson.. it sucks big time. MAC is not that great either if you want clear skin...

I'm a big fan of joppa minerals also! Love using the essence of beauty brushes found at the cvs stores and the sonia kashuk brushes at target.

I am in the middle when it comes to mineral makeup versus liquid. I have allergies to makeup and tend to breakout if I use makeup regularly. So far liquid makeup has given me the most problems, except the one I use right now, which in Lancome Bienfait Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30. I think my comparison is a bit unfair since the Bienfait is a tinted moisturizer, not full blown liquid makeup, which is probably why I hadn't had any breakouts from using it. It does give me moderate coverage and not the dry matte look that some mineral makeup can. But I love the second skin feel of the MMU (I currently flip between Physician's Formula Mineral Wear and Audrey Nicole mineral foundation). My only complaint about MMU is that it accentuates any fine line or dry skin patch I have, it just doesn't give me that fresh dewy look that my Lancome Bienfait gives. What I've done lately is use my Bienfait and use the PF Mineral Wear in compact form as setting powder, gives me the exact look I'm going for, minus the fine lines.

I used to use Joppa Minerals exclusively, and I am still a big fan of them. The only reason I've stopped is because I hated buying makeup on line and trying to figure out the colors, not to mention the waiting. Which is why these days I mostly use my PF minerals. AN is nice but if I'm going to order on line I might as well order from Joppa since they have my exact shade in foundation, blush, and bronzer. When PF came out with their mineral wear and it's available in drug stores, and I found that they had my exact match and their prices are the same as Joppa and AN, I made the switch immediately.

As for detergent, I have skin allergies to powder detergent. I use Tide Fragrance and Dye Free liquid detergent. I've found that when I use the powder detergent, even if it is fragrance and dye free, sometimes they don't melt properly in the wash or they clump on one particular item and have residual powder. It could be my crappy washing machine but I never had trouble with the liquid one.

Oh and I am allergic to most commercial facial cleansers, took me a while to figure out my acne was from a combination of sources. So when I switched detergents, stopped using makeup, and switched my facial cleanser, all my acne went away.

I got the Sonia brush (loved it) one at Target for $15 I think, she said to throw it out (darn I just bought it too), and said it was too allergenic for me.

Why she said Boar's Bristle I have no idea? I see her on Monday and will tell her I am confused.

Laura Mercier Mineral Make-up with SPF 15 (Powder foundation)

Physician's Formula Summer Eclipse Sunlight Bronzer

Sonia Kashuk's Powder brush from Target

I believe her brushes are from synthetic hairs....she said that way it gives just the right amount of dusting.

^ yea I was going to say that if you didn't have success with BE then don't go for LM.

But I know tons of gals (I'm been using it for 2 months) who've had no problems with it. It all depends on your skin type, and I myself dont have super sensitive skin. Also, the color is really suiting and I don't have to mix two together to get my skin shade.

I went to the Joppa website, and I couldn't find a sample kit to buy except one that was $42. That's too much to pay for samples. Did I miss something? Don't they provide small samples to buy?

As for laundry detergent, I've started using soap nuts. They've been doing a good job on my laundry, and they are totally from nature. The laundry comes out without any scent which is good... no perfumes. I so excited about it. No break outs, nice laundry: http://www.maggiespureland.com