Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NdnRomeo

Cetaphil really IS highly comedogenic. Here's proof

comedogenicity also depends on the amount of the ingredient used, so it doesn't mean anything really.

my experience with cetaphil was pretty awful too..my face always felt like I had this film on it and the moisturizer made my skin burn like crazy..i stuck it out for a while but in the end i think it did more harm than good.

my experience with cetaphil was pretty awful too..my face always felt like I had this film on it and the moisturizer made my skin burn like crazy..i stuck it out for a while but in the end i think it did more harm than good.

Oh wtf.... I just looked at my recently new shampoo (2 weeks) I also bought... guess what it contains?

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp...;id=prod1467888

Ammonium Laureth Sulfate , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate

GREAT. So much for generic head and shoulders

But then again, so does regular head and shoulders

Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate ,

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp...;id=prod1710089

No wonder my forehead just never stayed calm and went nuts daily.... ugh

And also after touching my hair and then what not...

I'm sticking to jason's biotin.

damn i paid alot for this from america an it should arrive tommorow or the following, so should i scrap it or use it?

only reason i bought as it's reccomended from dan

damn i paid alot for this from america an it should arrive tommorow or the following, so should i scrap it or use it?

There's no skin care product which doesn't contain non-comedogenic ingredients.

A skin care product at least contains one comedogenic ingredient.

So its almost impossible to avoid comedogenic skin care product when you are using those.

But it depends on people.

Some ingredients block pores for some people but some people do not have any problems with that ingredients.

Also, it depends on how much amount of those comedogenic ingredients they used.

Therefore i think if someone wants to see if it's comedogenic, he has to use it.

You are saying that cetaphill is highly comedogenic but lots of people are using it without any problems.

I've been using it for 3 months but haven't had any problems with it.

^ that's a rather uninformed statement. There are absolutely products with only ingredients rating 0 in comedogenicty, there are also formulations that rate 0 as a whole.

As far as the rest of your post - I already said all of it.

I saw this thread:

http://www.makeupdiva.com/archives/002346.html

It said

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acne_dete...e/printable.htm

If something rates a "3" or higher, I don't use it. Not everyone will experience a problem using these ingredients, but if your skin is anything like mine, you might just clear up most of those breakouts that seem to come from nowhere. A simple choice in moisturizer or concealer could make a big difference for your acne problem.

Ingredients in cetaphil:

Personally, I loved the Cetaphil until recently. I used it for 3 months with no problems. Then it started getting hot here and I discovered that the Cetaphil melts off my face in the hot humid weather here. Now I am only using it at night which doesnt seem to be a problem.

cetaphil isn't necessarily for acne though, it's just a gentle cleanser for any skin type, not an acne treatment. and alcohol isn't necessarily bad for the skin. it's just a name given to any compound that has an OH at the end, the other side of the compound determine the properties of that compound. for example isopropyl alcohol is very drying and irritating to the skin, and not a good idea to use for acne. cetal alcohol (the kind in cetaphil) helps keep the skin soft and moisturized.

btw, i actually love cetaphil.

Lol you guys overanalyze way too much! :rolleyes: Their company, Galderma doesn't have it out for us; they're not plotting on how to trick us ignorant consumers with their "fake labeling" conspiracy. :lol: (which by the way is such a daft idea to begin with). So I did a little research on the products which I've used faithfully and....

Cetyl and cetearyl alcohols are structurally similar. They are fatty alcohols used as emollients, emulsifiers, thickeners and carrying agents for other ingredients. They can be derived naturally (coconut fatty alcohol) or synthetically. They are not irritants and are not related to SD alcohol or ethyl alcohol which are drying alcohols.

A review by the Expert Panel of the CIR (1988) concluded that both compounds "are safe as cosmetic ingredients in the present practices of use". These compounds are commonly used in numerous categories of cosmetic products generally at concentrations up to 10%. However, some products may contain as much as 50%.

Talk about over-analyzing :lol: Alcohol in any form does not provide any benefit to those with oily and/or acne prone skin. Shitaphil is a joke, I forgot that Galcrappa also came up with a "sensitive-skin" wash that had fragrance (?) in it. Be sure to READ labels on products carefully before you decide to put them on your mug.

i use cetaphil cream everyday and i GLOP it on. i mean i leave a thick layer on and go to bed. it gets so much on the pillow i change the sheet everyday.

and you know what I HAVE ZERO ACNE!

before i took accutane i thought all different things were causing my acne. i was so picky. i couldnt use this. i couldnt use that. i couldnt touch my face. etc. etc.

you know what. its all crap. too much oil production and keratinization in the pores of your face cause acne! once you resolve that issue you can use mineral oil or cetaphil aint gonna cause acne!

btw mineral oil works great too especially as a cleanser or in a bath.

Yea well I wouldn't have to analyze if people wouldn't wrongly analyze in the first place.

And we weren't talking about products right for oily skin, but about comedogenicity and how some of you believe cetaphil is comedogenic.

And the two previous posters who already said this were absolutely correct: it depends on the amount of the specific ingredient (Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth-20) used and on the other ingredients that counteract the comedogenicity of one specific ingredient. Just look at the overall product.

The reason why cetaphil is labeled non-comdegenic is because those ingredients are diluted enough to not cause any closed comedones. Complex has a comodegenic ingredient in it but it doesnt clog pores. Its all about dilution.

People should just try it out for themselves and see if it works for them. I use cetaphil when Im more dry like in the winter and havent noticed it breaking me out. I also use complex 15 with not problems, but I dont use moisturizers every single day anymore, just when I feel I need to. Obviously theres lots of products out there that work for some and not for others, people have to try it themselves.

It seems everyone is talking about the lotion, how is the cleanser. I've been trying to figure out what to order from the drugstore. =X too lazy to walk in the normal store + i feel kinda weird doing it =)