Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

Hey I have been using proactiv, and it's been making my skin break out alot more then usual, but I been only using it for a month's time now, so iam thinking it gets worse before it gets better, I have excisting redmarks left on my face from old acne thats been lingering around for months now on my chin and forehead, I've heard about Acv, apple cider vinegar , but would it be okay to use that while iam on proactiv is the question? , and has anyone on this site use proactiv, I don't see many people bragging about , if it works good or not, and it's so expensive, I just don't know what to do, I would really like to get rid of these gross things on my face and start seeing improvment sooner. if anyone can help me out it would be appreciated, see i can't go on any pills like accuntane, and my sister went onit , her skin looks awesome i just wish i could, but iam on medication.:) and they won't let me, so iam left with just trying to find some toner or creams to help me out, iam gonna continue using proactiv for abit longer but if i don't see any improvment iam just gonna cancel it all together, so what should i do and suggestions?

I need something that will work for my skin..

Post some comments people please give me your insight, and please give me advice on what is the best stuff that works the best out there..

thanks

Posted

I would get cleared up first before you deal with the red marks, acv or other products might have a bad effect on your spots. one thing at a time.

Posted

I just need to know do the red marks fade with time, and isn't it better to get at them quicker then to be sorry later?....how do i know if there just redmarks or scars? there smooth and just red in deep in my skin..

Posted

Im seeing great results with ACV, but like Luke said, get rid of the actives first. I've heard several stories of it breaking people out. Time does fade marks, but it can be very slow. Some of us have had marks for months to years...

Proactive...doesn't get great results here on the org in general. You haven't been using it long enough to make a definite decision, but if it doesnt work for you, keep browsing this site, there is a lot of great info out there, in particular the Regimen.

Posted

proactive is made up of three parts, a clenser, a toner, and a treatment solution.

I've used proactive for 3 years, so I know it pretty well.

First, the clenser is useless. Get rid of it, you won't see a difference. It is the sandy, white creamish stuff. Garbage, and filler to make their extra moneys worth. Probably just irritates the skin anyways.

Second is the toner. It is the bottle of blue liquid, with 2% salcylic acid. Not bad stuff actually. Good for after shaving, to keep after burn off. etc. But ultimately, you can replace it with ACV, which is much cheaper, and imo just as effective.

This is what keeps your skin tight, clean, and ultimately fights the red spots.

But ACV does the same and does it well. If you want this is where you can add/replace ACV in the proactive solution, and $ wise, I'd suggest it.

The last in the treatment soltution, and guess what? it is 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. It's great actually, a really good forumula that is pretty hardcore for only a 2.5% solution, and it really does the work. It's unfortunate that proactive doesn't sell this alone because besides all other BP solutions, this is pretty much my favorite, and I use it to really beat the crap out of burgeoning zits( and I mean, beat the crap. this formula, for some reason, dries out and destoys zits pronto. highly recommended if you can get it alone). But- I dunno where to get it alone, but if it were sold alone, I'd be much happy..

So if you have the money, use ACV, and the proactive benzoyl peroxide, it will probably cause you to shed layers of skin, but believe me, it will clear up everything in a matter of weeks, unless you have really nasty cystic acne and bad redmarks. But I'll tell you a story.

On chistmas this year, I decided on using Dan Kern's regime, that is the BP is excessive amounts, and I just used the proactive BP solution. I used it several times a day (3-4 times applied daily), and made my skin shed tons of layers of skin (ugly nastiness), but I was zit free, and red spot free in a week and a half. And My skin got used to it, so I've been pretty much zit free since. That is how good I found the proactive forumla for BP. Now I wouldn't expect this for everyone, but I hope it helps you since you're already paying for the proactive forumla. I didn't even need a toner. But eventually I did, as I couldn't use Proactive's BP all the time.

Anyways, hope that helps.

Posted

I have been using Proactiv for a long time too, and to be honest im not all that happy with it. For a long time I used the full kit religiously, and all it really did was make my forhead extremely shiny and dry, and I experienced the redness and imflamtion problems that you mentioned.

I quit using the full kit all together when I found Proactiv's one product that actually works: the Clarifying Night Cream. This stuff is a god-sent. Its a semi-thick cream, not like the Toner but not watery either. You can apply it as much as you need fit, and it deals with the redness in your skin, along with treating and preventing breakouts. I've had pretty good success with this stuff, and now its all I use (with the occassional refining mask every now and then).

But yeah as Joshu said, most of the "3 step acne fighting system" or whatever the advertisement said is garbage and is very expensive. Give the Night Cream a try, its not that expensive and you can buy it seperately.

Hope this helps