Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorrie

Monthly Breakouts (Ladies Only)

My breakouts pretty much seem to be related to my monthly cycle. Anyone having success treating these kind of breakouts. It really pisses me off that I am clear two weeks out of the month and then all hell breaks loose. One week I am breaking out during my cycle and then it takes a week to clear up. Whats working for you ladies? Any tricks or tips you can share?

Is anyone using the pill or other form of BC to control your periods. I have read that some people use the pill to skip periods. If you are doing that, do you still still breakout during the week that you would normally be cycling? Same with the Depo shots. If you are one of the lucky ones that doesnt have monthly periods with the Depo shots, do you still break out monthly?

Has anyone had an hysterectomy? Did your breakouts stop?

Wasnt it enough that we were cursed with periods? Did we have to be cursed with hormonal acne too?

Lorrie

Hi Lorrie,

I'm not sure what to tell you, lol.

Some months the Regimen keeps those hormonal breakouts under control, then other months I will get a breakout. It's still much milder than it would be without the Regimen though, just one or two pimples. I've been trying out the Aleve that is mentioned in one of the other forums, but so far it hasn't really seemed to help. I spot-treat with a 15% AHA solution by Neostrata and that does help to dry them up. Ice seems to help as well. I tried upping my fish oil amounts for a few months and as odd is this may seem I had much worse breakouts those months and felt like a total grouch too. So, for me fish oil isn't good in large amounts. I still take one per day though for the overall health benefits.

I think if I was still using the BP twice daily that this wouldn't be happening but I did add GC to my personal regimen several months ago for the anti-aging benefits and it doesn't do a thing for inflammatory acne, although my skin is plumper so I keep using it.

I have no desire to be on birthcontrol pills ever again, tbh. And I don't plan to have a hysterectomy unless it becomes medically necessary for some reason. Have you looked into Spironolactone? That may be an option you could talk to your doctor about.

Thanks for posting Brandy. The regimen has tamed down the monthly breakouts somewhat. Well until this month it did. I changed my regimen slightly by using more BHA and only using the BP once a day and the result was a horrible breakout. My cycle was 2 weeks ago and my skin still hasnt recovered and actually got worse a couple days ago. I have switched back to using the BP 2x daily and the BHA once but its taking awhile for my skin to catch back up.

Anyways I was trying to figure out what I could do with these monthly breakouts. With the exception of some comedones my skin looks decent 2-3 weeks out of the month but then my cycle hits and I have to start all over again. It's very frustrating. I am 38 yrs old for god sakes. I am over the whole acne thing. The only area I still have problems with is my jawline and chin. Even the comedones on my forehead and cheeks are gone but the comedones on my jawline just wont budge and during my cycle become inflamed red and ugly.

I hope someone else has something to contribute. I know TsunAmi uses mandelic acid to control her hormonal acne but spending that kind of money just isnt an option for me right now. I just want to be over this. I have been fighting it since I was 13. Lorrie

Lorrie -

If you're 38, and having acne primarily on your jawline and chin, especially around that time of the month, your acne has all the hallmarks of being hormonal.

Have you thought about looking into PCOS as a cause? 7-10% of women have PCOS (polycycstic ovarian syndrome) and most don't know it. It's a major cause of adult acne in women and other problems too, like difficulty losing weight, weight gain in the abdomen, and irregular periods. PCOS is a collection of different symptoms, (like adult acne), and it expresses itself differently in everyone. Understanding PCOS really helped me get a handle on not only my acne, but my weight. If you see a doctor regularly, it would be worth asking about.

Good luck!

Amoeba

I am 38 yrs old for god sakes. I am over the whole acne thing. The only area I still have problems with is my jawline and chin. Even the comedones on my forehead and cheeks are gone but the comedones on my jawline just wont budge and during my cycle become inflamed red and ugly.

Thanks for the reply Amoeba! I need to do some research on PCOS. I am not familiar with it. I have been researching Spiro also and it sounds promising. I have considered seeing my doctor about the hormonal imbalance thing but have decided to put it off for awhile. I am currently in the process of changing jobs and while I currently have insurance, when I start my new job I wont have it for a period of time so it doesnt make sense to start something then have to stop it because I have no insurance to pay for it. Once the insurance kicks in at my new job I am definitely seeing a doctor to have some tests run and figure out whats going on. Thanks for the info. Lorrie

hi Lorrie,

I'm 34 and have had acne since puberty, but these last few months it has become the jawline cyst type (fun eh?) i've stopped eating dairy, wheat, sugar and coffee. i'm also taking some very good vitamins (multi and calcium) and fish oil.

i've recently started evening primrose oil which is supposed to really help with pms. there are a couple of herbal homonal treatments you could try too, black cohash and dong quai. someone recommended a dong quai 'tonic' (the d.q. root cooked in a soup). i've been doing all this for a month now and my cysts are flattening out! can't believe it.

only prob is, since i'm doing so many different things i'm not sure what is responsible for the improvement!

Hi Seaview! Keep it up and keep us informed as to how its going. If dietary change is what its gonna take to help me I am in trouble. I have the worst eating habits of anyone I know. I am usually so busy I dont even eat breakfast or lunch and by dinner I eat whatever I can get my hands on which is rarely on the healthy side of the spectrum. I was taking supplements faithly but last month I became very ill with a respiratory infection and then some kind of stomach illness. I stopped taking everything and never began the supplement regimen back up. I guess I need to do that. I have been reading about B vitamin defiencies and PMS. A B complex was part of my regimen. Thanks for the info and keep us posted. Lorrie

you should read the adult acne forum, there's a discussion pinned called Aleve for premenstrual and mid-cycle acne. aleve is naproxen sodium and naproxen is anti-inflammatory. i haven't tried it, but a lot of people are saying it works. looks like they took two aleve tablets each day maybe the week before their period, one with breakfast and one right after dinner, and stopped taking a regular dose of the aleve as soon their period started.

Hi Seaview! Keep it up and keep us informed as to how its going. If dietary change is what its gonna take to help me I am in trouble. I have the worst eating habits of anyone I know. I am usually so busy I dont even eat breakfast or lunch and by dinner I eat whatever I can get my hands on which is rarely on the healthy side of the spectrum. I was taking supplements faithly but last month I became very ill with a respiratory infection and then some kind of stomach illness. I stopped taking everything and never began the supplement regimen back up. I guess I need to do that. I have been reading about B vitamin defiencies and PMS. A B complex was part of my regimen. Thanks for the info and keep us posted. Lorrie

For me, I took ibuprofen for one or two days before I knew I would break out, and then switched to some naproxen sodium. This last month was the only time I've tried it so far. This last month was the ONLY time I did not have a breakout. So it works. :)