Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DckSteel

Better than accutane

to give an example of how similar folliculitis and acne can be here are two pics of folliculitis

folliculitus2.jpg

art-m5054.fig1.jpg

ok that attempt at posting the pics failed i dont know how to post em just copy paste the link. I also found out the recommended doseage for severe extensive folliculitis and its

Flucloxacillin (cloxacillin) capsules: 500mg four times a day

Age from 12 years onwards

* Flucloxacillin 500mg capsules. Take one capsule four times a day for 7 days. Supply 28 capsules.

* NHS Cost �5.53

* Licensed use: yes

this is from the site

http://cks.library.nhs.uk/boils_and_parony...ry/folliculitis

This is an excellent Clinical study site with complete listing of mild to severe folliculitis conditions and treatment! the reason the clindaycin is working for me is because im using it as an anti septic lotion.

How should I manage folliculitis?

* Advise people to avoid aggravating factors (e.g. tight clothing or occlusive dressings or plasters, and, if shaving, to shave in the direction of hair growth).

* Daily washing with an antiseptic product may help to prevent or control mild cases.

* For localized folliculitis, topical fusidic acid can be used.

* If folliculitis is more extensive or severe, empirical treatment with oral antibiotics may be needed. (cloxacillin, erythromycin, clarithromycin)

just wanted to point out, Fluclox and Clox are two different compounds. Fluclox is for meth resistant staph. it has a fluorine and a chlorine in the ring, which is why it cannot be broken by the penacilase produced by the bacteria.

I will ask for this from the derm when I visit next tuesday. The appointment is for accutane coincidentally but i wont be able to take that till i come back off holiday so i'll try this if i can. Hard to believe it'll clear me but i'll try.

I was reading the booklet thing that comes with the pills, and in the list of things it is used to treat, it actually says acne..

boys... dont use clindamycin unless you have too. I personally LOVE clindamycin. It is so dahm effective. It cleared my folliculitis is no time when i was younger. But I have become resistant to it. So it doesnt work anymore. unless you want to live on it for a lifetime, consider not using clindamycin.

again

For Acne, use BP as a topical treatment. Use Minocycline or Doxycycline for oral treatment. Wash face with salicylic acid fash wash first. During the day, use sunscreen (Very important)

For Folliculitis, use Clindamycin as topical, use clox or diclox or fluclox for oral treatment. Wash face with salicylic acid face wash first. Dont shave unless you want to aggrevate your condition. Use sunscreen.

If you guys have my problem, that is PIH (post inflamatory hyperpigmentation), have 50mg of zinc everyday on full stomach. Apply 2% vitamin C cream with kojic acid or hydroquinone. Use sunscreen (spf 15+) always wear a hat.

Ohh interesting read š‚ thanks!

ALL of my zits have hairs in them. Iš€žve said it so many times that I thought the only reason I had š“acneš€ž was due to shaving, because thatš€žs the only place I get zits, and before I needed to shave (when I didnš€žt have any facial hair growing) I was acne free. So maybe I have folliculitis!? I wonder if the BP I put on is just making it worse.

THIS: http://gripsdb.dimdi.de/rochelexikon/pics/...ITIS$1.gif - image is the very type of zit I get...

Iš€žm definitely going to enquire about it with my doc next week.

Josh, start antibiotics asap, and stop shaving untill it clears.

Also clindamycin will work on folliculitis. However im finding many more reports that "hibiscrub" is more effective and more widely recommended. i will try out the hibiscrub and see if its better than the clindamycin. if it is i will make the switch.

I was reading the booklet thing that comes with the pills, and in the list of things it is used to treat, it actually says acne..

i was told that too that clox treats acne.

have you tried cloxacillin? 500 mg 4x a day on an empty stomach reid?

No, because I value my intestinal flora.

And I don't believe I ever took them on an empty stomach.

have you tried cloxacillin? 500 mg 4x a day on an empty stomach reid?

No, because I value my intestinal flora.

And I don't believe I ever took them on an empty stomach.

yea thats what i thought.

QUESTION:

Is Cloxacillin safe/okay to use WITH Accutane?

I am in the first month of a 3rd course of Accutane and in all honesty, I am reluctant to give it up for another med.

However, I have a feeling that the type of acne that I have MAY be folliculitis (??).

Often when I get pimples, they are small red under the skin variety and occur around my facial hair line; ie. lower cheeks or beardline.

I almost never get any pimples on my forehead or back (at least not anymore) but I do get a couple around hair follicles on my upper thighs, though not many.

When I'm off Accutane for extended periods, I often get some small pimples around the upper part of my arms... but as soon as I'm on Accutane, they are gone for good!

HOWEVER - When I first started my newest Accutane course, the IB did cause a couple of pimples on my forehead and other random places (though sparsely and not nearly as significant in comparison with other spots) not along my hairline. Which leads me to believe that perhaps it is just regular acne afterall.

I would still REALLY like to give this Coaxcillin a shot and am hopeful!

But I also want to stick out my current Accutane course, because I think it does improve my skin in the long run and towards the end of my course, my skin is always improved if not looking great (even if only temporarily).

Plus it's good for oil depletion.

Ideally, I would LOVE to be able to continue taking my Accutane pills, but also go on a 3 week/1 month prescription of Coaxcillin as welll to see what happens.

That way if I clear up and notice it's working right away, I could cut my Accutane course short as there would be no need to continue with it.

What do you guys think, I welcome any advice!!!

PS - I know that taking other antibiotics such a minocycline in conjunction with Accutane is supposedly very bad and can cause brain hemorrhaging and other severe health problems.

Thanks for any help or advice offered!!!!

And YES I will talk to my derm! but i'm hoping to get some feedback from people here first, who might know about the possible health risks of combining Accutane with Coaxcillin.

PS -

This is a quote from an online article about folliculitis:

"If your acne pimples remain red and infected looking for more than five days, you should visit a doctor."

"Acne that heals normally usually means that there is no staph infection present."

This is NOT the case with me! My pimples usually heal within 3-5 days. However as soon as that happens, 2 or 3 new ones take their place. Right now, I'm getting lots which I'm attributing to the Accutane IB along my lower sides of my face where I don't shave as often and where hair grows.

Generally, when not dealing with an IB related to Accutane, the majority if not all of my pimples occur around my ipper facial hairline (midway point of my face) that runs across my cheeks just below the nose. I usually get them around and just above and below this area and yes there is usually a hair follicle I believe, but not always. I don't know if I have folliculitis, but it's possible. The above quotes explaining the condition seem contrary to what I've experience though, so perhaps it's not the case...

Eitherway, I'd like to know whether I can take the pills with Accutane to really see 100% without a doubt whether it is successful. I know what the results and implications are with Accutane at this stage in my course, so by experimenting with Cloaxcillin on top of that would prove beyond a shadow of a doubt whether or not the folliculitis or Cloax prescr. are of significance.

What does "healing normally" mean for them?

And, vidyashankara, what type of topical cleanser/antibiotic doesn't make the bacteria become more resistant?

PS -

This is a quote from an online article about folliculitis:

"If your acne pimples remain red and infected looking for more than five days, you should visit a doctor."

"Acne that heals normally usually means that there is no staph infection present."

This is NOT the case with me! My pimples usually heal within 3-5 days. However as soon as that happens, 2 or 3 new ones take their place. Right now, I'm getting lots which I'm attributing to the Accutane IB along my lower sides of my face where I don't shave as often and where hair grows.

Generally, when not dealing with an IB related to Accutane, the majority if not all of my pimples occur around my ipper facial hairline (midway point of my face) that runs across my cheeks just below the nose. I usually get them around and just above and below this area and yes there is usually a hair follicle I believe, but not always. I don't know if I have folliculitis, but it's possible. The above quotes explaining the condition seem contrary to what I've experience though, so perhaps it's not the case...

Eitherway, I'd like to know whether I can take the pills with Accutane to really see 100% without a doubt whether it is successful. I know what the results and implications are with Accutane at this stage in my course, so by experimenting with Cloaxcillin on top of that would prove beyond a shadow of a doubt whether or not the folliculitis or Cloax prescr. are of significance.

it sounds to me you have folliculitis. you went thru the same string of events i did. also, 3weeks to a month isnt even needed for clox. the recommended length of a clox cycle it 1 week @ 500mg 4 times a day on empty stomach. that should clear all staph and acne like pimples.

instead of clindamycin i just ordered ZNP bar which kills the yeast and bacteria. I also need to get someone from the UK to send me a bottle of hibbiscrub.

Any 3 of these products can and should be used after the clox has cleared you completely.

the only thing is i dont know which one is best to use, i will be testing each product out as soon as i get them shipped to me.

You're talking about this ZNP Bar http://www.aaaskindoctor.com/znp.html ?

yea thats the one. read some customer reviews on it at amazon.com just type in znp bar

alot of customers say it works great on their acne and/or folliculitis. I highly recommend you read over this clincal study site it gives you information on how to treat mild, moderate, and severe/presistant folliculitis with both topicals and orals.

http://cks.library.nhs.uk/boils_and_parony...ry/folliculitis

also i find that if you are from ethnicities where facial and body hair is more heavy i.e spanish, indian, middle eastern, greek and/OR if your hair is dark you probably are more likely to have folliculitis than acne. this includes both male and females.

So, DckSteel has been awesome enough to inform everyone about this, which worked well for him. So in theory, it should work for some of us too, if not all of us..

Anyway... he actually had similar acne to mine, which is how he found me on here. I have conglobata though, and have been on my second course of accutane for 5 days now. *moderator edit*

Careful boys. Cloxacillin is for Staph infections like Folliculitis.

Folliculitis is a condition very similar to acne when it occurs on the face. You can identify it if the breakouts occur near hair follicles. Most times, there will be a tiny hair coming out from the middle of the pimple.

If you have folliculitis, Cloxacillin is VERY effective. I think dicloxacillin is more effective. But remember, you are dealing with a whole new bacteria here. and folliculitis is way easier to treat then acne. It takes month of antibiotics to treat acne, and you only need a few days of antibiotics to treat folliculitis.

again, if you have acne, use minocycline, doxycycline or any of the tetracycline class compounds,

if you have folliculitis, use a peniciline based antibiotic - cloxaciline, dicloxaciline etc...

Dcksteel, if cloxaciline cleared you in 3 days, you never had acne, you had folliculitis.

Also, folliculitis occurs everywhere, even on the penis, and on the scalp etc... acne is usually restricted to places where sebum is secreted (face, neck, back -rarely) etc...

also, i suggest that you dont go on cloxacilline if you dont have folliculitis. you are simply gonna wipe your system of all bacteria. Bacteria in the intestines are very important for digestion and normal function of the human body. dont go on antibiotics, unless you HAVE to, esp the penicillin based antibiotics.

Hello,

You seem very knowledgeable as far as antibiotics and folliculitis are concerned.

I currently have horribly annoying folliculitis. It's been bothering me for a long time now. My pimples are in my beard region, and do typically have a hair coming out of them. I went to a doctor, who cultured them, and determined it to be gram-negative bacteria. They put me on a course of antibiotics and nothing happened.

I went to another doctor, and I'm now on Accutane for the fifth time. Do you think this cloxacilline may help me? I'm desperate!

Thanks,

Rich

5th time?! I've been on it once and that was enough for me.

Yup, five times.

The second time was for nine whole months...

Folliculitis is a condition very similar to acne when it occurs on the face. You can identify it if the breakouts occur near hair follicles. Most times, there will be a tiny hair coming out from the middle of the pimple.

If you have folliculitis, Cloxacillin is VERY effective. I think dicloxacillin is more effective. But remember, you are dealing with a whole new bacteria here. and folliculitis is way easier to treat then acne. It takes month of antibiotics to treat acne, and you only need a few days of antibiotics to treat folliculitis.

again, if you have acne, use minocycline, doxycycline or any of the tetracycline class compounds,

if you have folliculitis, use a peniciline based antibiotic - cloxaciline, dicloxaciline etc...

Dcksteel, if cloxaciline cleared you in 3 days, you never had acne, you had folliculitis.

Also, folliculitis occurs everywhere, even on the penis, and on the scalp etc... acne is usually restricted to places where sebum is secreted (face, neck, back -rarely) etc...

also, i suggest that you dont go on cloxacilline if you dont have folliculitis. you are simply gonna wipe your system of all bacteria. Bacteria in the intestines are very important for digestion and normal function of the human body. dont go on antibiotics, unless you HAVE to, esp the penicillin based antibiotics.

Hello,

You seem very knowledgeable as far as antibiotics and folliculitis are concerned.

I currently have horribly annoying folliculitis. It's been bothering me for a long time now. My pimples are in my beard region, and do typically have a hair coming out of them. I went to a doctor, who cultured them, and determined it to be gram-negative bacteria. They put me on a course of antibiotics and nothing happened.

I went to another doctor, and I'm now on Accutane for the fifth time. Do you think this cloxacilline may help me? I'm desperate!

Thanks,

Rich

Treatment of gram-negative folliculitis in patients with acne.

Bi R, Nehrhoff B.

Department of Dermatology, University Hospital, Zich, Switzerland. [email protected]

Gram-negative folliculitis may be the result of long-term antibacterial treatment in acne patients. It is caused by bacterial interference and replacement of the Gram-positive flora of the facial skin and the mucous membranes of the nose and infestation with Gram-negative bacteria. These Gram-negative bacteria include Escherischia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Serratia marescens, Klebsiella and Proteus mirabilis. The occurrence of Gram-negative folliculitis should be considered in acne patients in whom oral treatment with tetracyclines has not resulted in a significant improvement of acne lesions after 3-6 months' treatment. The occurrence of Gram-negative folliculitis in acne patients is believed to be generally underestimated, since correct sampling and bacteriology is rarely performed by clinicians. Gram-negative folliculitis in acne and rosacea patients is best treated with isotretinoin (0.5-1 mg/kg daily for 4-5 months).

also

Gram negative folliculitis usually clears promptly with:

* Antibiotics to which the organisms are sensitive (e.g. ampicillin, trimethoprim)

* Isotretinoin

Gram-negative folliculitis develops in persons who are on antibiotics for treating acne. The antibiotics usually alter the balance of the bacteria in the nose, causing excess growth of the Gram-negative bacteria. It is when this bacteria spreads to other parts of the face and affects the follicles that the infection occurs. This happens rarely when proper hygiene is not maintained.

since you say youve already tried other anti biotics and it didnt work theres a good chance the clox wont work but then again it might work too . its not that expensive and u should know if it will work within the first few days so i would try it out if everything else has failed.

I wanna try it!

but it seems almost too good to be true. :(

i dont think your skin problem is severe enough to go on clox. i think u should use a topical instead.

Hello,

Thanks,

Rich

That is really strange. I doubt you have folliculitis. Folliculitis is caused by staph and staph is gram positive. Whatever you have, I doubt cloxacillin is going to cure it. You might have to get a combination of antibiotics. NO penicillin drug will help you as the membrane of gram negative bacteria is resistant to these drugs. treatment of gram negative bacteria is tougher. There is a drug called ampicillin thats used to combat gram negative bacteria. cant your doctor tell you exactly what bacteria is on your skin?

But, accutane and cloxacillin is not going to help you. Sorry dude. I suggest you go back to the doctor who did the skin culture and get a second opinion. But if you do have gram negative bacteria, i doubt cloxacilin is going it clear it. get ampicillin.

P.S. You might have folliculitis caused by E.Coli. ampicillin should do the job! and amoxicilline should work too!

What does "healing normally" mean for them?

And, vidyashankara, what type of topical cleanser/antibiotic doesn't make the bacteria become more resistant?

you gotta face the fact, all antibiotics make bacteria resistant. Its evolution. Bacteria are living things too, in order to survive they change the way they are. The more you try to kill them, the harder they try to survive.

In the end, its just a battle of evolution. Its either you evolve to wipe it out, or it evolves to wipe you out.

P.S. lets say, you are trying to fight P. Acnes. you can kill it by introducing a LOT of oxygen in its environment, or by trying to change its internal structure. Antibiotics inhibit the protein synthesis of the bacteria. As this keeps happening, the bacteria will figure out a compound to disable this interference. This is how resistance is developed.

But you can also kill the bacteria by changing the environment, you can apply lots of BP and change the oxygen levels in the skin and thereby killing the bacteria. There is nothing the bacteria can do here, changing itself will not help. Hence the bacteria cannot be resistant to BP.

So, resistance comes when you change something inside the bacteria. There is no resistance when you change the environment.

Antibiotics is like cheating gods game. He probably wants a fair game, and you use a cheat code (antibiotic) to kill the bacteria. Hence evolution is something that evens out the whole field. antibiotics are WAY more efficient then BP and other creams.

get what i mean?

DckSteel, this stuff works also for oily skin? Coz i would like to try it on my super oily skin!

no it doesnt nothing for oily skin unfortunately. you might wanna try fish oil i heard that stuff reduces oil. like 2-3 grams a day, if it works for you please come back and tell me.

damn... :( im even on tane for oily skin and seems to not work

DckSteel, this stuff works also for oily skin? Coz i would like to try it on my super oily skin!

no it doesnt nothing for oily skin unfortunately. you might wanna try fish oil i heard that stuff reduces oil. like 2-3 grams a day, if it works for you please come back and tell me.

are u serious? accutane MUST reduce oil thats how it works. is this your first time on accutane? maybe you need to wait longer for sum people it takes a few months, some even a second or third cycle.

are u serious? accutane MUST reduce oil thats how it works. is this your first time on accutane? maybe you need to wait longer for sum people it takes a few months, some even a second or third cycle.

im in the 6th month... my oily production minimized but my skin still gets oily and im sure it will be worse after i finish the course!

im in the 6th month... my oily production minimized but my skin still gets oily and im sure it will be worse after i finish the course!

you may have an adrenal or thyroid problem get those tests done.