Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
heres_to_hoping

Heres_to_hoping's accutane log

Hey everyone!

I'm fairly new to the site, but I am starting accutane tomorrow and want to keep a log, so I can look back and see progress that has been made, and also to share with the community here.

I am 19, Male, 145 lbs (so about 65 KG) with a starting dose of 70 MG (alternate 60 and 80) for the first month of a 4 month course. I was worried at first that the dose might be too high, but the derm knows what she's doing, so I'm going to trust her for the first month, at least. The side effect I'm most worried about is increased photosensitivity, as I've got a job where I'm out in the sun all day long. But I wear sunscreen religiously, so hopefully I can avoid getting burned too bad.

I have had mild/moderate inflammatory acne on my cheeks since the age of 12, as well as fairly severe bacne, which is the reason the derm suggested accutane. I have been on minocycline for 4 years, and an array of topicals including differin, tazorac cream and gel and benzaclin, with all treatments holding the acne somewhat at bay, but never really improving it. While my acne has never truly reached what I would truly call the "severe threshold", it definetely hit the severe side of moderate when I got a few cysts and nodules, especially since starting college (just finished freshman year). It definetely affected my social life last year, and, as vain as it sounds, my confidence skyrockets on "good skin" days, and I can only hope that it will be forever improved after the next 4 months.

I'll update often, and get some pictures up as soon as i find my digital camera (I lost it somewhere!)

Update tomorrow with the brand.

does anyone know what factors the derm would take into account when choosing to do a 4 month course as opposed to a 6 month course? I'm pretty worried aboutthe dreaded IB that everyone seems to get. :think: Maybe it would be better to do a lower daily dose for a couple more months to reach the same cumulative dose?

i think you can ask for her to extend for two more months. the dosage goes by how much you weigh and how you are responding to the drug. does your derm look good? mine does.

i think you can ask for her to extend for two more months. the dosage goes by how much you weigh and how you are responding to the drug. does your derm look good? mine does.

look good? lol, you mean like, is she hot? or does she know what she's doing? in any case, yes to both.

SOOOOO I just popped the first two 20 MG pills. The brand is Sotret. I've read about some people not thinking Sotret was as good as the other brands, or the real accutane? thoughts?

Not that I'd be able to afford the real thing. I was SHOCKED by how high the price was, even with insurance and the generic brand. It's a good part of my week's paycheck to cover it. Granted, I don't make that much.... :rolleyes:

Day 1

Current skin condition: Oily all around with 3 inactive bumps just sitting in between my eyes. Several inflamed zits on my cheeks, plus alot of red marks.

Current cumulative dose: 40 MG

Side effects: none, obviously.

updates tomorrow.

Day 2

current skin condition: really oily still, several inflamed pustules on my cheeks and 2 new small whiteheads on my forehead. my chin started flaking today, not sure if that's from the accutane or not. i don't think it is, because i only just started last night.

side effects: none so far

cumulative dose: 100 MG

It's so weird to just sit here and not have anything new to try, or anything more to do except pop a couple pills twice a day. I'm so used to complicated regimens of cleansing, waiting, topicals, waiting, moisturizing etc. etc. My derm told me to stop all other treatments, but I'm wondering if it might be ok to use some BP or tazorac to keep the oil under control until I start to get dry? I've read that some other people's derms have OKed that, but I'm hesitant to do anything other than exactly what my derm said, just 'cause I don't want to get in the way of the accutane doing it's job.

oh, decisions.

mood is good though! I'm optimistic that this is going to work.

Day 3

Current Skin Condition: About the same as yesterday, but when I woke up it seemed like I had a little less oil. maybe that's in my head. I might spot treat the blemishes that are still acti ve with some BP tonight and see if that speeds up the drying.

Cumulative dose 180 MG

Still completely optimistic. I should be seeing some results by the time I go back to school. It would be SO nice to start the year with clear skin. I can hardly wait.

day 4

Current skin condition: oily on my nose, but it feels like my forehead and chin are drying up a bit. one of the lumps in between my eyes came to a head and I popped it, and I've got a nother small white head that formed right at the top of my nose.

side effects: maybe starting some dry lips, I had to use chapstick today, but I used to have to do that anyway, so... :think:

Cumulative dose: 240 MG

Day 6

Current skin condition:

Broke out really bad, about five red angry ones on my right cheek and two on my left. Maybe this is the dreaded IB? I'm hoping so. I know it's early on in the course, but it came on SO fast -- I almost never break out that bad that fast. Skin is still pretty oily, and has a general reddish tint to it.

Side Effects:

Dry lips. Some patches of dry skin (the corners of my nose are cracked). Wrist is sore, though I don't know if that's from the accutane.

Cumulative dose: 380 MG

don't worry about the brand name of your accutane, i took sotret my first 3 months then claravis my last 2 months... my derm said that some people may have taken longer to get clear with the generic accutane (sotret, claravis, roaccutane), but they got clear anyway, it just took a little longer

does anyone know what factors the derm would take into account when choosing to do a 4 month course as opposed to a 6 month course? I'm pretty worried aboutthe dreaded IB that everyone seems to get. :think: Maybe it would be better to do a lower daily dose for a couple more months to reach the same cumulative dose?

I keep hearing people refer to IB, what does that mean?

I keep hearing people refer to IB, what does that mean?

day 8

current skin condition: Less oily than before, but by no means oil free. 4 inflamed zits on my right cheek and 2 on my left cheek and 1 inactive one on my forehead, plus alot of red marks.

side effects: DRY LIPS. holy shit, I didn't know it was possible for lips to be this dry. been applying chapstick literally every 10 minutes. I might have to get some stronger stuff from the derm. Also, my scalp started itching last night. not unbearable, but definetely an annoyance. *sighs* that's just the price we pay for clear skin, right?

cumulative dose: 520 MG

Still have what I hope was the initial breakout hanging out on my face, though it slowly seems to be drying up. The rest of my skin is looking pretty good, I have to say. Where it's not broken out, there seems to be a glow to it. I really need to get some pictures on here...

Oh well. Save that for another day.

Day 10

Current skin condition: Good! All the red angry ones on my cheeks dried up overnight, and I've only got one active one, right on my jawline. This is the least amount of actives I've had on my face at one time in years. gooooo accutane :-D Oiliness dissappeared too. Oh, it's nice to not be so shiny.

Side effects: DRY LIPS. seriously cannot get enough chapstick. I'm probably going to order some of "dr. Dan's cortibalm", because I've heard some good things about it from other users here.

Cumulative dose: 660 MG

Day 12

Current skin condition: Seems to be getting worse.... :wall: I know I'm only on day 12, but man, my skin was looking so good lately. Damn. Anyways, face is generally a little bit red, and I've got a bunch of little skin colored bumps on my cheeks. Not really zits...I don't know what they are. I'm hoping they don't turn into big red angry ones! Also got 3 new zits on myright jawline. They're not too visible, though, so, hurrah for that.

Side effects: Dry lips, though they seem to be better today. Dry inside of my nose. Dry skin too, the sides of my nose were peeling this morning. I'll moisturize more, and more often. My back is also really tense...not sure if this is accutane related or not. Nothing I can't handle though.

Cumulative dose: 800 MG

Almost 2 weeks in...that's almost 1/8 done! Haha. I'm a nerd.

Day 13

Current skin condition: 2 red, angry zits on my lower right cheek, one whitehead on my forehead and 2 huge, deep cysts on either side of my chin. These cysts haven't surfaced yet, but I can feel them, and they're sore as sh!t. dabbed a little benzaclin on them to hpefully keep them from getting too big.

Side effects: Lips are dry, but better than they were a couple days ago. back muscles are crazy tense/sore, nose and eyes are dry. skin on nose isn't peeling anymore, I've been putting lots of moisturizer on.

Cumulative dose: 880 MG

Just stopping by to say 'good luck'! Seems like your course is going pretty well so far...I'm about 3 days behind you! Keep updating...hope you continue to get better! :)

Day 14

Current skin condition: Not too bad. One of the cysts on my chin came to a head, or some of it did. got rid of that, and it's not even red. so that's good. both actives on my right cheek kind of dried up today, so all that's left is red marks, and one huge, deep cyst on the left side of my chin.

Side effects: Dry lips, though still more tolerable than they were before. I wonder if they'll get worse again, or if those couple days where it was unbearable was just my body getting used to it? Dry nose, but not as bad and dry eyes, which I took some visine for. back still aches, but...I can deal.

Cumulative dose: 940 MG.

Day 15

Current skin condition: looks pretty horrible at the moment. my nose has 3 red spots on it, not zits, but marks from where my skin peeled off when I washed my face this morning. I've also got alot of dry little bumps on my cheeks, not sure what they are, and I've got one cyst in between my eyes and a cyst on my chin. my skin also has a general reddish tint to it, so I'm going to make sure to moisturize two times a day nomatter how dry I feel.

Side effects: Dry lips, dry eyes and nose. and my lower back is wayyyy sore. if i bend over to pick something up, i can barely stand up. well, that's an exaggeration...but it's bad.

Cumulative dose: 1020 MG

Day 17

Current skin condition: I have one huge, inflamed cyst on my forehead -- the others dried up. two dry, inactive guys on my left cheek, NOTHING on my right cheek.!!!! just red marks. for the first time in forever.

Side effects: Dry lips, achy back, stiff joints, peeling nose.

Cumulative dose: 1140 MG