Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well I'm considering ordering Pantothenic acid from www.vitamins.com and what they offer is "time release".

Would that change anything from what's been said of B5 in these forums so far?

I would NOT take a time released because according to some articles Time Released does not work as good as it should. And because it's more expensive than the cheapest B5 source and probably not powder (which I like).

Guest fatman_uk

Powder is better than tabs for absorbtion, yeah... but where are these articles about Time Release being crap?

-Gaz

I came across info about it here:

http://www.dutchbodybuilding.com/forum/sho...t=time+released (Dutch Language)

Different forms of ascorbic acid (powders, tablets, etc.)

The gastrointestinal absorption of ascorbic acid occurs through an active transport process, as well as through passive diffusion. At low gastrointestinal concentrations of ascorbic acid active transport predominates, while at high gastrointestinal concentrations active transport becomes saturated, leaving only passive diffusion. In theory, slowing down the rate of stomach emptying (e.g., by taking ascorbic acid with food or taking a slow-release form of ascorbic acid) should increase its absorption. While the bioavailability of ascorbic acid appears equivalent whether it is in the form of powder, chewable tablets, or non-chewable tablets, the bioavailability of ascorbic acid from slow-release preparations is less certain. 

A study of 3 men and 1 woman found 1 gram of ascorbic acid to be equally well absorbed from solution, tablets, and chewable tablets, but the absorption from a timed-release capsule was 50% lower. Absorption was assessed by measuring urinary excretion of ascorbic acid after an IV dose of ascorbic acid and comparing it to urinary excretions after the oral dosage forms (4).

A more recent study examined the plasma levels of ascorbic acid in 59 male smokers supplemented for 2 months with either 500 mg/day of slow-release ascorbic acid, 500 mg/day of plain ascorbic acid, or a placebo. After 2 months of supplementation no significant differences in plasma ascorbic acid levels between the slow-release and plain ascorbic acid groups were found (5).

4. Yung, S. et al. Ascorbic acid absorption in humans: a comparison among several dosage forms. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 1982; volume 71: pages 282-285. (PubMed)

5. Nyyssonen, K. et al. Effect of supplementation of smoking men with plain or slow release ascorbic acid on lipoprotein oxidation. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1997; volume 51: pages 154-163. (PubMed) http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vita...C/vitCform.html

not to be a prick krg...but a study of 3 men and 1 women is no where near enough people to show siginificant proof time release is not as easily absorbed. By the way, there dutch wtf do they know about medicane.

and for the record the b5 from vitamins.com are 3.56 for a bottle of 100 500mg tablets...thats cheap as hell

Dutch or not, they don't say or act like being medicines. They are just telling information they found with references or quotes.

I agree, a study of 4 people is too less to make a good theory.

But the other article talks about a lot more than 4 people:

It was clear after the first several thousand clients that Time Release just didn’t seem to work as well as I’d hoped.  So, we made smaller tablets and divided the dosage in to 4 and 8 tablets.  This required a split dosage of one or two tablets three or four times a day.  

Today Sportelesis and Nutritionalysis, after assessing hundreds of thousands of clients, over the last five years are positive that split dosage is the way to go.  Not time release.  This is especially true for athletes.