Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

People with acne are often advised to use harsh, drying products on the skin. These dry the skin out too much, causing the sebaceous glands to excrete more oil to compensate. Dry skin also leads to excess dead skin cells. More oil + excess dead skin cells = blocked pores and more acne!

Ingredients to avoid:

Alcohol, isopropyl myristate, lanolin, sodium lauryl sulphate, sodium laureth sulphate, propylene glycol, mineral oil and parabens

Benzoyl peroxide

Don't be afraid of using oil in products. This can be the best thing for those wanting to get rid of acne -- using oils that mimic the skin's natural oils (coconut and jojoba) will rebalance the oil production of your skin. These oils won't block your pores. Use more of the following (these can be found in natural products in health food stores):

Tea tree oil -- antiseptic and antibacterial, great for existing infections

Lavender oil -- soothing and healing, great for accelerating healing of scars

Coconut oil -- look out for products that use this as a base. Can also be used on its own.

Jojoba oil -- look out for products that use this as a base

Exfoliate twice a week to get rid of dead skin cells

Use natural products, such as Green People's Fruit scrub

advising to not use BP and then advising to use a scrub is the most illogical thing i've ever heard. people with active acne on their face should never use a scrub.

A facial scrub is very beneficial to acne sufferers as it removes dead skin cells hence reducing a factor of blocking pores.

Try using a scrub as the one recommended there and u will see a difference.

I think the BP and the scrub are both beneficial as long as you don't rub to hard with the scrub but BP should definately not be on the "BAD" list #-o

No. facial scrubs on active acne just spread it around and traumatize the glands, thus leading to further flare ups.

use a scrub if the acne is gone, but not when acne is actually there. there are many things that remove dead skin cells, some mechanical and some chemical, why traumatize the glands in order to achieve it?

if you must use a scrub, use it around acne, not actually on the acne.

Well ,u see BP is only advised to use on people with non sensitive skin as it can severly dry hence causing the over production of oil.

It works for some,whereas not so good for others.

I agree a scrub should not be used in areas on infection where large cysts are...but for simple postules it will be effective.

jojoba oil is extremely drying.

here's my list for the proper regimen:

1. gently cleanse. i think acne cleansers are pretty much pure trash.

2. medicate

3. moisturize only if needed

the rest is rather unimportant. if you have clogged pores and need exfoliation, then step #2 would include some form of chemical exfoliation. the problem with mechanical exfoliation is that it doesn't do anything inside the pore, just on the surface, which makes it pretty ineffective in actually preventing acne.

Guest fatman_uk

This is the worst advice thread ever, an Dove is shit too.

-Gaz

Fatman:-

If this is the worst thread......with the comments posted and the difference of opinion from what u have read.......what exactly is a good thread?

This one recommends NOT using BP,whereas most others DO.

blahblahblah recommended a gentle routine and non acne cleansers so in comparison with all threads posted.......which is good and which is bad?

If you can tell me that ,then you must hold the cure for acne,so lets hear it?

Guest fatman_uk

Sorry, i thought it was clear i was saying it was your stuff that was crap.

-Gaz

I w asnt recommending dove either....it was a sarcastic comment......u shouldnt use soap with acne.

Fatman :-

If you think this thread is the worst ever then have a look through this website where I GOT the link.

Theres a whole book on the theory and read the testimonials.

I pasted a paragraph from the site to start this thread.......so dont go saying its the worst thread ever unless you've TRIED IT.

Read what the site has to say and buy the book even.Read the testimonials and what people have had to say.

You cant be so quick to jump and say somethings "the worst ever" unless you know what you talking about,which u obviously dont.

Heres the site (And where I got paragraph that started this thread) :-

http://www.acne-advice.com/

I'm in agreement with Gaz here. This advice is really weird. Oils make me break out, 'harsh' products work for me. Everyone's different, there's no universal and prescriptive list of products to use and avoid.

Your all posting points without reading the information !

God almighty I give up.

Theres a billion different types of oil..............AGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Read through the site and things will become clearer.

I've had it with this place.

a gentle cleanser is just that.. anything will work. from cetaphil to purpose to something "all natural" if you want. medicated "washes" simply strip the skin of oil and do not do much due to the fact that they are only on the skin for such a short period of time. they work for milder acne, though

Guest fatman_uk

You're telling us to quote sumthing? Just cause you've shown us a website?

I'm afraid i've tried most of the stuff u recommended, an it made my situation worse... an the things you dissed (BP, soap, etc) are what i use at the minute to stay clear. You can't quote experience.

-Gaz

Firstly I havent asked anyone to quote anything?

Secondly Something is spelled as I just typed it there and not with a "u".

I posted the website as it might be of some assistance to somebody as it had been from the testimonials from the people that had read the book.

It will benefit alot of people,but everyones different.

And, oh yes pal I have experience,more than you could imagine.

BP and soap are exactly what DONT work for me,so if you were speaking from experience you would have added that each individual reacts differently to different things.....which ofcourse you didnt add.

Then reading the testimonials from the people that tried what the book suggested......it did work for them,whereas BP etc didnt.

So on an individual point of view,you class experience when you have seen all aspects of the condition and how it ticks from person to person,whereas your only experience is based on yourself,so therefore you most certainly cant quote experience.

Regards.

i tall depends on your skin type. I agree with him, if you have sensitive skin.

I used BP for about a year. My face became very very dry and even inflammed around my mouth. My skin was not sensitive. It's pretty damn durable compared to other people. I was using 10% BP though, for the first 6months.

Good luck!