Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hendrick2

Things you wish you knew earlier

This topic has pretty much been ripped off from the bodybuilding forums and can serve to remind us that there's alot more to life

There was a post that got my attention which i thought i could share with you peeps. Perhaps you peeps could share your own knowledge from previous enlightening experiences?

Say "Yes" to as many experiences and people as you can.

Travel as much as you can. It really is easier than you realise.

Love your parents even when they screw up. Your dad is just another guy trying to do his best while life throws shit at him.

If you get married, remember that that person changes every day. The secret to a long and healthy marriage is for both people to be continually curious as to who their partner is changing into. It took my parents 30 years to learn this secret and we have been married for 10 because of it.

Forgive yourself. Daily. And move on.

Life is VERY, VERY short. Don't just sit on your ass watching it go by.

Things which I have done and recommend (in no particular order):

- Drink a Bellini at Harry's bar in Venice, Italy.

- Watch the animals drink from a watering hole around sunset in Africa.

- Smoke a joint on a beach in Jamaica.

- Go to a full moon party in Thailand.

- Leave at least one religion behind.

- Have an orgy.

- Start a business.

- Do wine tasting in Cape Town, South Africa.

- Get married.

- Try ecstacy if only once.

- Scuba Diving.

- Buy your own house.

- Quit your job.

Believe you are the greatest human being to ever walk the planet. Even believe you are Neo or some higher power that is indestructible. When you believe these 2 things like me, you will get very far in life because you are able to put yourself on the line while everyone whines about how life is too short and complains about worthless stuff like how much gas costs. Case closed.

:ninja:

In arguments, focus on whether or not the topic would really matter in two years. If not, there's no logic in continuing the fight.

The past is the past, for a reason.

Some people may WANT to change, but essentially a tiger can't change its stripes.

Easy on the credit cards.

None of that crap in high school will ever matter after you graduate, so just ride it out.

Not everyone is going to like you, there is no sense in trying to please every single person.

Misery truly does love company

You are not invincible, quit thinking "oh that wont happen to me".

Love life and it will love you back.

Many people will walk in and out of your life,

but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.

To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart.

Anger is only one letter short of danger.

If someone betrays you once, it's his fault;

if he betrays you twice, it's your fault.

Great minds discuss ideas;

Average minds discuss events;

Small minds discuss people.

God gives every bird it's food,

but He does not throw it into it's nest.

He who loses money, loses much;

He who loses a friend, loses more;

He who loses faith, loses all.

Beautiful young people are acts of nature,

But beautiful old people are works of art.

Learn from the mistakes of others.

You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

The tongue weighs practically nothing,

But so few people can hold it.

Don't rely on the future to be happy. One of the biggest mistakes people can make is taking the present for granted. They always look to the future in hope of a better situation, but the reality is most people don't ever become satisfied once the future comes, and if they do the joy is short-lived. Learn to be grateful for what you have now, so that when you finally receive the higher paying job, better clothing, bigger house you will know how to be grateful and appreciate it. This is important because there is a tendency for the joy of receiving a gift to be short-lived, and the longing for something better to emerge in no time.

Realize that you're 100% responsible for EVERYTHING that happens to you from here on in, And i mean EVERYTHING! You're the reason for your current financial status, the clothes you are wearing, your intelligence, your friends, your social status etc. Accepting this will be hard to swallow, but once you do, it becomes empowering. Rather than being subject to an external force which chooses your destiny and one which you have to accept (i.e. "I have no control over the shape of my body... god or some external force decides that so i can't be bothered doing anything about it because i have to accept it") you will be able to take control of your life (i.e "At the moment I'm fat... but I'm in control of the shape of my body so i can become ripped if i start making the effort) and design it to be the way you want it to be. So take charge and START DESIGNING THE DAM LIFE YOU DESERVE!

The exterior world your senses perceive it merely a manifestation of what you're thinking and feeling in the inside. Therefore when you come across a dick head, don't waste your time and energy being pissed off at them, but rather realise that they've most likely got a lot of shit happening to them and just feel sorry for the fact they're life probably isn't as pleasant as your's :P

Feeling more tire than usual? Wondering where all the energy went? Wondering why you're on a downer. Quit masturbating :) Try it for at least a week and see if it makes a different. Usually your energy levels increase, you feel less sluggish during the day, confidence soars and you practically feel on top of the world. This is especially useful during exam periods. I know people do it to relieve stress and what not, but trust me when i say you're better off going out for a jog or just having fun with people. The anxiety and stress will usually leave you and you won't suffer any of the symptoms of excessive masturbation mentioned above.

If you're feeling absolutely nervous during exams period that your heart is beating like mad and you can't sit still whilst studying, get up and go for a run. All the nervous energy should be gone by the end of your jog. I'm not completely sure why people start shaking nervously, but it's most likely to do with the fact you've been sitting inside studying 24/7 then sleeping. You've got loads of energy your body wants to expend, and if you're not having proper exercise, it'll see your nervousness as an opportunity to release this energy in excessive amounts.

Want wealth? Then think of your money as employees! Put them in investments so you're still making money even when you're not at work. Unlike you, money can work 24/7! If you spend it on clothing, toys, electronics or whatever else tickles your fancy, you're moneys essentially rendered inactive when you it can be put into investments making more money! For this to be successful you'll initially have to have the willpower to live well below your means. Once your cash flow has increased substantially, THEN you can start spending :)

if i had some advice to give it would be that you understand that no one gives a shit about you.

sounds harsh and it is, i spose, but its true.

what i mean is like as you grow up and in school etc, you've got your parents and your teachers who encourage you to be the best you can and are there for you.. and if you dont do your homework or spend enough time in class you still have a house to come home to and a meal on your plate. but theres a time, for me it was when i was unemployed after i finished college, that you realise (and i mean really realise.. like the cold hard truth hitting home) that no one gives a shit. you are responsible for your own life and everything you do depends on the effort you put in.

its not like you can waste time and do nothing in particular with your life for long enough and finally someone will come and be like "ok thats it. you've fucked around and stuffed it up for long enough i cant take it anymore. here, have a good life, have a nice car, house, wife, career etc etc"

its something that you dont really think about but if you dont make the effort to 'achieve' in everything you do, then no one will care. life just keeps on cruising by, and every day you take the easy/safe/less threatening and consequently less rewarding option, you lose. a bit more each day until one day you look back and its all gone and you did fuck all with it.

who you are and how you live your life is up to you. and only you. dont expect anyone else to care, bail you out, come to your rescue, or give a shit.

Great thread! I nod to every post in here!

-Don't trash that vauge thing called "credit". You will need it later. Yes. You will.

-75% of your stress in your 20's is self-created. The other 25% is just Life. Learn to cope.

-Overwashing your skin is bad, on the other hand, you can never have too many pairs of clean socks.

-It is no one's job but yours to take care of yourself. It is also no one else's job to swallow your pride and ask for and then accept the help when you need it. Learn to do both with grace.

One of my favorite pieces of advice....

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble, it's a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantement, it is as perrenial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann

Guest Cubsfan

1. diet affects acne

2. live the moment, don't worry about the future

3. let go, change and grow

4. K.I.S.S - Keep it simple stupid

5. GOD & Nature - The only 2 things in this world that will never let you down

6. play smart, play hard, play together

Conclusions I've made for myself:

Material things don't mean much; being loved, loving, & having good relationships with other people is what matters in life. My happiest time in life was when I had the most friends, not the most money.

Accept that it is okay to be basically ordinary; you don't have to be exceptionally beautiful, brilliant, or talented to be happy or successful in life.

People usually know their physical flaws. Most people own mirrors & don't need it to be pointed out that they are fat/have a big pimple/have crooked teeth/whatever. This does not apply to clothing, cuz some people are clueless there.

Don't take your friends for granted & don't let them take you for granted. Hold onto anyone in your life that you really connect with, cuz it is rare.

Almost everyone has something to offer other people. Again, maybe you are not the best looking or the funniest person or whatever, but you have likable qualities. Bring those out & work on minimizing your less than appealing qualities.

Morals are not restrictive, they are protective. Being innocent is better than being jaded.

I used to think it was better to be alone than settle just to be in a relationship. Now I only apply that to marriage; otherwise settle for someone you might not normally go for & date & see where it goes. Otherwise you might end up 23 & never had a boyfriend.

Most people are not as scary as they seem at first. They are probably intimidated by you also.

Going places alone is a good way to meet new people & beats sitting at home alone every time.

You are your own worst critic. People probably see you very differently than you see yourself. However, you can project your opinion of yourself onto others, good or bad.

Job interviews are more about making the employer like you than being a perfect fit for the job.

Smile a lot....you look much less like a grinning idiot than you think.

*When I say "you", I really mean me ;)

Guest The Effendi

Don't tell people your problems............80% don't care, and the other

20% are probably glad you have 'em.

And "Good Morning" is an oxymoron. ;)