Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Nowak

Advice please.. three tricky questions

Hi everyone. I've been on the regimen two weeks, and my face is clearing nicely. Only old red spots left which are fading slowly... except for my forehead. I still have about five or six active ones, and I get a new one every so often. I know its only been two weeks, but the rest of my face has cleared well... :-k

I tend to moisturize my chin and cheeks during the day, and nothing at night. I have not been moisturizing my forehead because its the worst part, and I think the moisturizer will make the BP less effective. Is that true? My forehead is only peeling/flaking slightly, although it is kinda tight feeling. However since its my forehead and it doesn't move much, it doesn't bother me.

Question 1: Is it possible I only have acne now on my forehead because I'm not moisturizing it at all? Even thought the dryness is not very bad, could the lack of a moisturizer be harming it? I find every couple days I have to exfoliate it with a wet cloth because of the dryness, and I do not have to do that to the rest of my face nearly as much.

Question 2: Would it be a good idea to try mixing in salicylic acid with the BP just on my forehead? It's already dryish, but not bad, and it could probably take a bit more abuse, especially if I add in the moisturizer.

Question 3: Should I try using 5% BP on just my forehead? I do have long hair and I do notice more acne along where my hair falls. Perhaps applying and leaving a stronger BP on all day would help negate this effect? I really don't wanna cut the hair... girlfriend won't let me. :-)

Thanks for all the help everyone.

1. Well, I guess not moistuizing on your forehead could indirectly affect how much acne you get there... I mean not moisturizing could make your skin drier there causing more oil production leading to more acne. :-k

2. A BIG factor in that would be what you are using. If you are just gonna put some cream or gel on your forehead along with Dan's Regimen I don't think that would be a good idea at all. On the other hand.. If you were doing something like Botchla's Regimen only on your forehead which is BP and SA and then DAn's Regimen everywhere else that would be fine I guess just kinda a hassle. (Don't think you should think along the lines of "my skin could take some more abuse" [-X )

3. Nope, don't go with anything higher than 2.5% b/c it is just more irritating and has the same effects and a lower concentration.

You should be moisturizing your forehead though if it is tight and dry though... Anyways, hope this helps! biggrin.gif

1. moisturize every single day no matter what and no matter where. And do not exfoliate with a washcloth. Bad news. Very irritating.

2. Almost all of the acne texts I have read specifically warn against bp and sa together. They are "overly irritating" together. Just follow the regimen instead.

3. There is no reason to ever use more than 2.5% bp. Again, it will simply irritate.

Basically, what I want to say is to follow the regimen. I spent many years doing the experimentation. You shouldn't have to. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll just stick to it and try moisturizing.

Everyone's skin is different though... what if Dan's regimen doesn't clear up my forehead? I did try salicylic + BP on my whole face and it was too drying, so yes I guess I should avoid that.

I have also been sleeping like total crap... 22 hour days, sleep 16 hours whenever... that might have something to do with it. :-)

What should I do if I have some dry skin then if I can't exfoliate with a wash cloth? I can't just very well leave it all flakey. I suppose moisturizing more would help this though. Is it possible to moisturize too much? Is it better not to do it at night if I don't need to?

What if two more weeks go by and its not much better? My mother is actually a skin care lady... Not a real doctor like a derm though. But anyway she told me to use Retin-A. I used it for two years. Awful. I used Differin for 3 months. Not as drying, but it didn't do anything. However because of her I can easily get myself a free facial or sulfur mask or something. That would probably help and would be okay to do with the regimen, eh? What do you recommend? I start college in two weeks and I want to have a system that works very well by then... short notice I know.

Maybe I should try to get on an antibiotic to help me clear up as fast as possible? I take two multivitamins a day (quality ones). Anything else to take?

Thanks for all the help!

Umm. Try sticking with the regime 100%. Be religious, moisturize..

If you really want to exfoliate only do it once or twice a week max. I don't think you need oral antibiotics -- they aren't permanent!

Good luck!

What should I use to exfoliate with then? Its just having all this stuff on my skin, I think I'd get a buildup of dead skin after awhile. Even if its not bad for acne, its still very complexion-dulling and icky. Anyone know how to take care of this? Maybe use a light scrub every two weeks or so? Some kinda mask maybe?

In addition to Dan's usual sage advice I would say.

Stop freaking out!...the regimen is doing well right?...you're starting to clear? It takes a while for your skin to adjust to the regimen and you'll find that you get less flakey over the next few weeks ...especially if you are moisturising twice daily.

Give it another 6 weeks. Then you can start looking at making small changes. You could consider perhaps using a an aha moisturiser like renewal then?