Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NewAge

Switching from Claravis to Sotret

I got my prescription filled at a different location than I usually do and the only generic brand they had was Sotret. For the first 3 months I took Claravis. Will this affect anything? I understand the key ingredient is the same, but the pills appear to have a different coding.

Thanks!

Hi there -

I asked my Derm. if brand or generic is better. She said preferably the Brand, Accutane by Roche, but if I were to get generic get Sotret. My Derm. said all the generics are very close to the brand, but she said Sotret scored a little higher in authenticy/formulary of Accutane. I called the pharmacies in my area and nobody stocks the Accutane (brand) but did find Sotret. I got Sotret and have been pleased. I didn't have an IB (though I do have very mild acne). I recently found my insurance will pay for either brand or generic - so I may switch and try the actual Accutane. I'd rather have the real deal.

So in all, I don't think changing brands will effect the final outcome...

Cheers,

Yvette

quote name='NewAge' date='May 27 2007, 04:38 PM' post='1877807']

I got my prescription filled at a different location than I usually do and the only generic brand they had was Sotret. For the first 3 months I took Claravis. Will this affect anything? I understand the key ingredient is the same, but the pills appear to have a different coding.

Thanks!

My god, pharmeceutical marketing agencies must love you people. I don't know if we should put it in huge, size 72 bold bright red letters at the top of this forum, because people really don't seem to understand. Generic versions of drugs are not some kind of analogue that works like the brand name drug. It is the brand name drug. The key ingedient is molecularly identical, the only possible difference is the inactive filler ingredients. No kidding one is going to work better than the other, you're taking them at different points in the treatment cycle!

My god, pharmeceutical marketing agencies must love you people. I don't know if we should put it in huge, size 72 bold bright red letters at the top of this forum, because people really don't seem to understand. Generic versions of drugs are not some kind of analogue that works like the brand name drug. It is the brand name drug. The key ingedient is molecularly identical, the only possible difference is the inactive filler ingredients. No kidding one is going to work better than the other, you're taking them at different points in the treatment cycle!

Just so you know, all generics are exactly the same as the brand-name. Accutane's patent has run out, thus all the generics have the exact same formulation of active ingredients as the brand-name Accutane. I had Amnesteem and Sotret during my course and had 100% clearing. There was also no breakout between formulations. Don't worry about the name on the package as long as the pill is isotretinoin.

I know, sorry, I was referring more to the other post. I can't believe that people would spend more money because the box has different letters on it.