Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Piso

Sweat - yes or no?

What's everyone's take on sweat? E.g., if I go to a sauna, is it going to have a positive or negative effect on my acne? And please no ridiculous one liners dismissing the question. My hypothesis is that the effect is beneficial, as pores are opened, however, I'm not too sure whether the mineral salts in sweat are a good idea.

Sweat is very good for your skin because bacteria that would normally cause acne is being flushed out of your body through the sweat. Just as long as you dont scratch and wipe your face because it might get itchy, you should find that sweating helps your acne.

Guest fatman_uk

Erm, arn't the pores that you sweat out of seperate from the ones that acne forms in? I'm pretty sure Dan once posted a study noting such a thing.

My take is that sweatin is fine, i just make sure that i rinse my face after cause otherwise once the water evaporate an leaves the salt from the sweat, that makes me itchy an irritates my skin.

So just do a warm rinse, pat dry, bit of moisturiser. Sorted.

-Gaz

Yeah, I appreciate that they are different pores. I assume that if you're hot enough to sweat, that your sebaceous pores will open too, however. Thanks for the answers.

I have never heard that sweat gets rid of bacteria. Please quote a source on that. Sweat glands and sebaceous glands are independent and open to the skin at different places.

Sudden increases in temperature cause increases in oil production. I have not read any studies showing whether this aggravates acne, but it does cause more oil to be produced. Also, people in humid climates tend to have more severe cases of acne. I avoid the sauna and steam room for these reasons.

-Dan

I totally agree. Suana's/Jacuzzi's aggravate acne. It's hot -- so they open your pores (possibly allowing them to be clogged easier) -- and you have gunk on your face.

Isn't it recommended to wash immediately after you work out/sweat?

Hotness fo sho aggrivates. But what about sweat itself?

I hear sweat is good for the skin overall, but its not good if you let the sweat dry up on your face cuz sweat attracts dirt, which will clog up your pores. So I think its ok to sweat just as long as you wash up after.

biggrin.gif

I just joined a new health club this week because they have a sauna. On top of a lot of other health benefits, I've found the steam room and sauna to be such a great help for acne.

After a good 15-30 min. sweat and a shower (make sure you shower and wash your face with a good cleanser, like Cetaphil, IMMEDIATELY), my pores feel SO pristine.

When showering, you may also want to exfoliate the skin all over your body (with a loufa, bodywash, or both). This enhances the sauna experience. Your skin will feel alive. I avoid exfoliating on my face just after a sauna, though, since I have fare, sensitive skin, and it takes enough stress with the heat and sweat.

According to a website devoted to the history and benefits of saunas - http://www.cyberbohemia.com/Pages/saunahea...th.htm#Anchor#3 - sitting in a sauna also improves internal health (circulation, etc.).

I strongly urge everyone to look at that website, and at least consider saunas. Like any other so-called "remedy," the results may vary with the individual, but I recommend you give it a try if you've been frustrated with several other acne treatments, as I have been.