Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TennesseeGrl

Almost to my 1-year anniversary of finishing accutane!!

I know that a lot of people, once their acne clears, no longer come to the site because they don't need advice on acne anymore. I finished accutane on June 25th of last year, and I just wanted to update those of you who are ON accutane of how the past year has gone for me.

I had moderate-severe acne. I weigh 115 lbs and took 40 mgs a day for 5 months. I took Amnesteem for 2 months and Sotret for the other 3.

- I had a LOT of red marks, and I am actually still dealing with some of those going away. It is a very, verrrrrrrrrrrrry slow process.

- The 15 lbs I gained during the course, are now lost. Thank goodness!!!

- I have no post-accutane regimen. I just wash my face when I feel like it. Where I was extremely oily before, I am not any more. I can wear eye makeup!!!!! (That is SO exciting for me!!) I have had about 10 zits total, give or take, in the past year. No joke.

- My skin is infinitely drier than it used to be, but not unbearable and not peeling. I'm having to use lotion regularly, which was weird to get used to for sure.

- The depression went away rather quickly, and my self-esteem sky-rocketed. About 3 months after finishing, I found the love of my life, and we're getting married next summer!!!

- I was still very sensitive to the sun even 4 months after finishing. I went to the tanning bed and FRIED. I do mean I fried. I couldn't even wear tank tops because the elastic built-in bras hurt that badly. I am fine now though, I just wear regular SPF when I'm going to the pool, and if I go out after 3 pm I don't need sunscreen at all.

- All accutane side effects have cleared except a touch of ADD. It is harder to focus in school than it used to be. That could just be the fact that I am taking MUCH harder classes.. I wouldn't doubt it. But all the dry peeling skin, dry lips, headaches, insomnia, joint pains, depression, dry hair, and panic attacks ceased completely when I finished my course. Some took longer to go away than others but they have all gone. The lack of oil has stayed, however, and for that I am grateful.

While accutane was a difficult journey, it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I am so happy and carefree, and I never have to worry about my skin any more. I don't worry that I will look a fright in my wedding photos. I don't have to worry about camping trips or letting someone see me with my makeup off.

SO - those of you who are in the midst of the rigorous journey we call ACCUTANE, please don't get discouraged, and please don't quit. While it gets so tough at times that you don't want to deal with it any more, the remission of acne is one of the most liberating experiences ever.

I wish all of you the best, I'm still very much around the site, and anyone who ever needs advice or encouragement, I'm here for you!

TG

This is a really encouraging post =] I'm happy to hear how great accutane has been for you. I am starting soon and I can't be more excited... none of the side effects even phase me. I know i'd rather deal with side effects than be locked in my room 24/7 with severe acne. I hope I have as much success as you did!

40mgs for five months? I might ask the derm about that before I (hopefully) start my course. I'll be working throughout the summer and I am worried about the side effects of the drug on my ability to function properly at my job. I don't mind the dry skin, but the muscle fatigue worries me as my job is physically demanding..

Im so happy for you TG! You are one of the sweetest members on this site. Congrats on finding the love of your life to :dance::clap::wub: I wish I could say the same thing. Accutane screwed me up

WOW... i started my course yesterday with 20mg per day. i suffer with mild to moderate acne and to know that i am now on accutane is given me a smile and a realisation that everthing will only get better. your story is encouriging and will be to the majority of the people on here because a couple week ago i didnt even want to touch accutane because of the side effects. now i realised that i should just put that aside and go for it, and hopefully within a couple of months my skin will look half decent and also i need my confidence level yo be how it use to be. haaaha.

thanx

Very good post. I'm just wondering though about 1 thing. While on accutane did you have any clogged pores(closed comedones) or blackheads? And if so, have any came back? Also, did you get the large initial purge that some people get where theres strands and stuff coming out of many pores? I would like to apply that same "routine" after my accutane course, but it sounds like my derm wants me on a retinoid afterward, and I'm highly considering that as well.

wow thats really really great..youre giving me so much hope, thankyou for sharing your story :)

i dont know if this is an inappropriate place to ask, but since youve been on accutane and since youre a mod (meaning im sure you know your stuff)..while on accutane, will using something like differin (until skin becomes too irritated) counteract the benefits of accutane? im curious bc i know i will be on differin post-tane, and i dont want to think about having to go through another IB after im all clear from accutane, so im semi-hoping to stay on a light application of it throughout...but wouldnt want it to counteract whatever accutane does to the pores. :confused:

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask you! maybe i should have PMed? im still getting used to using this site consistently, really. but either way thankyou again for sharing your story

While on accutane did you have any clogged pores(closed comedones) or blackheads? And if so, have any came back? Also, did you get the large initial purge that some people get where theres strands and stuff coming out of many pores? I would like to apply that same "routine" after my accutane course, but it sounds like my derm wants me on a retinoid afterward, and I'm highly considering that as well.

Hi there -

Awesome! So glad to hear you're happy with your results. Also, congrats on finding your guy and getting married.

I sent you a PM as I just started Accutane 4/27. Have a few questions for you.

Thanks and take care.

Yvette

starting my fourth month today and im slap bang in the middle of my course, at the point of no return. im sick of the side effects and feeling generally rubbish so this is a nice post to read. thanks tg.