Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acneduck

Tane log: Begun 5/27/07

This is technically my 5th day on the tane, but I thought I'd go ahead and start a log anyway. My dermatologist recommended that I take 80mg on weekdays and 40mg on weekends.

UPDATE: After reading some of the other blogs, I thought it might be appropriate if I give you some of my background info: I'm 19, male, 150lbs, and I've been battling acne since I was 13. I've tried various benzoyl peroxide and salycilic acid products as well as prescription drugs and topicals such as Minocycline and Differin. I finally got fed up with it, so I'm doing the tane.

Before I started my tane regimen, most of my acne was comedonal, (I think. I'm not really clear on my acne lingo. Anyway, it's beneath the surface bumps that aren't red or inflamed) and I had a lot of whiteheads here and there. I do have some red and inflamed spots, but that is only because of my bad habit of popping anything and everything. All my acne resides on my face and upper back.

Also, I have fair skin, and a bunch of scarring from years of popping.

DAY 1 (Wednesday 5/23/07)

I'm really dry, but only from using so much Benzoyl Peroxide over the past 3 months. I have a bunch of whiteheads and blackheads on my face and back (too many to count), so just take my word when I say it's bad. I pop t he pills and hope for the best. :(

DAY 2

No change. If anything, it's a little more severe on my cheeks. I'm not feeling any side effects from the drug yet.

DAY 3

Acne looks worse on my face, but better on my back... 5 new whiteheads have come up on my cheeks and chin, but the pimples appear to be drying up on my back. That night I decide to be really stupid and pop them. They become red and inflamed, so I put a little BP on the spots. (Probably not a smart idea since the drug is supposed to dry me out so much...

DAY 4

A couple new whiteheads on my chin.. I'm trying to leave them alone, but old habits die hard. The inflamed spots have subsided, but they still look pretty red and nasty. Since I haven't been using any topicals lately, my skin has been feeling a lot healthier than usual. I like it. :)

DAY 5

Skin is looking somewhat better today. The red spots have dried up some, and the whiteheads that appeared on my chin yesterday vanished on their own. Plus, the acne on my back is getting better. I'm still not experiencing any side effects. This includes dryness or chapped lips. I'm hoping and praying it'll stay that way.

DAY 5 UPDATE

All day at work (I'm a waiter at a local restaurant), my skin has been incredibly oily. Still no dryness or anything... I'm just shiny as crap.

DAY 6

Last night was TERRIBLE. My skin was really itchy all over last night from about midnight till 4:30. I'm exhausted today, and I have a lot of work to do... Does anyone out there know if there's something I can do the next time I'm itching like crazy??

Besides that... I have 2 new whiteheads on my chin, but I'm starting to look a lot clearer. Some of the comedones have subsided, and the red spots are drying up noticeably. I'm still really oily, however.

Hey there, I started a day after you so we can compare progress :)

My skin is itchy like crazy too, and when I itch it flakes are coming off... It's really gross cause my skin is oily and dry at the same time. I've broken out a bit too but not with whiteheads, just angry inflamed red ones ugh...

Well good luck on your tane journey :) I'll be checking in with you

DAY 6 UPDATE

I just got back from work. My skin is still incredibly oily. You know those Clean and Clear oil wipes that are blue and soak up oil from your skin? Well, just to give you an idea about how oily I am, about once every couple hours I can go through about three of those at once. Yeah. I know.

Besides that, I haven't been itching today (hopefully it stays that way tonight), and my skin and lips are still nice and moist. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that don't experience that side effect! :)

As for my acne itself, it seems to be worse on my right cheek and better on my left... I have some nice fat pimples on my right cheek that are still below the surface (are those called comedones?) You can only notice them if I'm standing in the right light, so I'm not too worried about them. The red spots from where I was popping them earlier in the week are almost gone, and I seem to be doing better about not messing with them.

DAY 7

Slept like a rock last night... Woke up around noon, took my pill, showered, and went on another popping spree... I'm a hopeless case. I now have 8 lovely red spots on my cheeks. But since the tane isn't drying me out, I went ahead and spot treated with a little benzoyl peroxide.. Not much, just enough to cover the red spots.

Other than that, I'm happy with my progress. My skin tone and quality seem to be improving, and hopefully I won't be as oily today. I'll probably post another update tonight after work to say how that goes.

DAY 7 UPDATE

I wasn't nearly as oily at work today! After 5 hours waiting tables, I only needed to use 1/2 of a Clean and Clear oil wipe. That's a serious improvement! My comedones continue to subside, my red marks continue to shrink, and I'm feeling a lot more self-confident. I'm very pleased with my progress after only a week of pills. I pray this keeps up :)

DAY 8

One new whitehead on the left side of my nose.. Everything else is drying up or getting better to some degree. Still no side effects. I wish I had done this drug much earlier.

Yay, you're very lucky you aren't getting any side effects. I'm always getting random rashes and a bit of dry lips. How's the oiliness going? From one day to the next my face went from really oily to very little oil at all, today I could barely fill 1/4th of a C&C oil sheet. Good to hear that things are improving :)

DAY 9

To answer your question Sombre, my oilyness is all but gone now after a week of it. I'm getting a little flakyness now when I first wake up, but washing / moisturizing seems to take care of that for the rest of the day. My lips are still fine, and my skin continues to improve daily. Every once in a while I'll get a new white head (like the one on my left cheek this morning...) but for the most part I'm getting better.

DAY 9 UPDATE

My skin has begun drying out rapidly. It is currently very flaky. There doesn't seem to be much oil at all. This is a sudden and drastic change.

Since I have to work today, I decided to do something about my dryness. I washed my face with my bare hands in warm water, and I patted it dry. After a few minutes, I applied cetaphil moisturizer to the worst areas. The flakiness is gone, but I still feel pretty dry. Also, some angry zits are starting to form around my jawline where my lymph nodes are.

Could this be the beginning of acneduck's IB and annoying side effects?? Tune in tonight for part 2 of this adventure!

*crowd ooh's and aah's*

DAY 9 UPDATE

Ugh. It's a good thing they keep the lights low in the restaurant... Angry zits are still rather... angry. I'm kinda flaky, but it's not very noticeable unless I'm in the right light. *sigh*

DAY 10

Things are looking better this morning. I treated my face last night by simply washing it with Dove soap, and then I took a hot towel and put it across my face for a few minutes. My reasoning was that it might give my pores a chance to open up and release some of the crud in them. I dunno if it helped or not, but I didn't peel last night and my zits have decreased in size.

DAY 11

A little flaky. Pretty dry. Zits are a little more shriveled. Uh. Yeah, nothing exciting to report....

DAY 12

Well so much for clear skin! I just had a terrible breakout all on my cheeks and jawline. I'm thinking that it may not be entirely due to the accutane, but to my sudden and dramatic increase of my coffee intake.... I'll cut coffee out of my diet again and see what happens, but ionno.

DAY 13

Lips are peeling.. Face is peeling in spots... I'm still nursing some ugly, red places left from popped zits... I'm still looking pretty bad.

I have a date with an amazing girl tonight, and I'm incredibly nervous. I hate being so self-conscious every time I try to do something social. God I hope this medicine starts working soon. I know that if she's the one for me she'll "love me in spite of my acne, and blah blah blah" but still....... It would be nice not to have to worry about it.

DAY 14

Sorry for not updating yesterday. Busy busy busy. Anyway, I don't think there was anything out of the ordinary yesterday... Lots of peeling, and those red spots still look pretty bad.

DAY 15

Same. Red spots might be a little smaller, but meh. I don't trust it. As soon as I feel like I'm getting better, WHAM! I get a brand new batch of bouncing baby pustules.

DAY 16

My skin officially looks worse than it has during any point of this process. Now only do I have SIX new whiteheads, I stupidly decided to scrape off the scabs that had formed over my red spots, and they promptly decided to ooze. At work!

I wonder if the oozage affected my tips? ... Hopefully my customers all saw me and thought to themselves, "Aw, that poor guy. We should tip him more so he can pay for his ... *ahem* ... discounted $325 medicine." ... But judging from the numbers, that's probably not the case. -_-

Oh yeah, on top of the whiteheads and the oozage, my lips are peeling worse than bananas in the chimp pen at the zoo.

Yes, I realize that was a terrible analogy.

Thanks for the encouragement

DAY 17

Good grief Charlie Brown! This morning my face is looking a lot better! My lips look fine, and my dry skin is all but gone. The zits that were really really bad around my jawline yesterday have subsided about 3/4's of the way...

Just out of curiosity... Has anyone else experienced these drastic overnight changes while on the tane?

DAY 18

My skin continues to improve in both tone and quality. The dryness is almost gone (mostly thanks to the slathers of cetaphil moisturizer I throw on each night) but I think my skin actually looks healthier. I still have some active spots and some whiteheads, but hopefully those will all be nothing more than memories in a few months.

DAY 18 Update

Lips... Freakin... Chapped.... I forgot my Carmex at work today. D'oh! They hurt like a fother mucker. (Damn dyslexia. Tee-hee.)

My skin is bone dry. Not a trace of oil after 8 hours of working in a hot, icky kitchen. I suppose that's a good sign.... ?

I'm dissapointed, but the pimples under my jawline have gotten all inflamed and eeew again.

I can't believe it's not butter.

Thanks, Kiwi... Yeah, my results are good right now but this has been a helluva up and down process. Some days I think I look freakin' awesome, and other days I want to hide my head in a paper bag. That or cut my face off with a chainsaw. But anway... I hope you have quick results too! Good luck with your tane journey.

Here are some Day 18 pics btw. I'll start posting photos every 10 days. Sorry about the poor arse quality, but I'd say this is pretty good for a razr, lol.

Uh. *points down* "Image awaiting approval." *shrugs*

Anway... Keep in mind: this is an IMPROVEMENT over what I started with. :D

Yeah, I was a freakin' pizza.

post-58151-1181364127_thumb.jpg

post-58151-1181364137_thumb.jpg

post-58151-1181364127_thumb.jpg

post-58151-1181364137_thumb.jpg