Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jono_aus

Benzoyl Peroxide Cytotoxic? What do people make of this?

Hey everyone, Ive been using Dans regime for a few months now, and seen excellent results.

However, today while surfing the net, I came across this medline article.

And it seems like Benzoyl peroxide might be a lot more toxic and damaging to our skint than we thought. Im not sure if its going to motivate me to stop using the regime however, but maybe some other people could help shed some light on the full meaning of this article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...st_uids=8571390

Cheers,

Jono.

all i know is that when i use BP for morning AND night

it made my face kinda puffy swullen.. not red swollen but kinda swelled up

but when i stopped it its back to normal

i took a pic of my face during the regime period. and then i compared it with using BP only at night, my face got alot skinnier when i don't use it.

scar your face was swollen because of irritation. Was it red too? As far as i've read, BP is 100% safe and won't cause any problems if used correctly, even in when you're 100 years old =o

Guest fatman_uk

I'm no doctor, but the bit at the end... doesn't that just mean using Vitamin E will make you more resistant to BP?

Vitamin E heals your skin/body, so maybe that's why ppl usin BP complain of redmarks, a sign that the skin isn't healing as fast as usual?

-Gaz

no i'm not allergic to BP, my face isn't red when i use it

it just swells up

so i only use it at night

Uh, I'd say, uh, that, uh, I have no clue what that article is about.

Wow, I guess there are people out there who understand that, but it's certainly not me.

Sometimes they have "conclusions" on articles like that where they explain what they're saying. This one just read like mumbo jumbo to me. Sorry.

-Dan

Yeah. The thing is, there's no satisfactory conclusion reached. Even someone who knew what they were talking about would be at a loss. How long has BP been in use, and have there been any damning papers about it? A long, long time, and I don't think so.

0.06 mM BZP is very litte user posted image

If the use of BZP increases the amount of free radicals, it will make your skin age faster, end of story. This heavy use of BP Dan recommends can't be good for your skin long term. It's probably not too bad either, but I doubt it doesn't have at least some negatives. However its worth it though. You can always fix up your skin with a chemical peal or two 20 years from now if you need to. ;-)

What the article says is that prolonged BP use causes the cellular membrane to be less effective at regulating metabolic traffic, it also says that vacular integrity is compromised, (similar effects to acid), the beginning stuff just states the medium the cellular soup was suspended in.

It states that BP causes the healing rate to decrease within a period of 4 days but does not state to what extent. Basically it irrepirably damages cells it comes into direct contact with if it is used constantly over a period of about a week.

This article refers to the pure form of BP not a cream or other topical only containing 2.5% where the effects will be greatly dilluted. This is not something to really worry about, it's nothing we don't know already, apart from maybe the fact that it damages the healing rate. sad.gif

it seems like Benzoyl peroxide might be a lot more toxic and damaging to our skint than we thought.

Exactly what part of the article made you think that?

Oh yeah, don't worry about that, it only maintains tumour integrity if it's already cancerous. Should be pretty safe, and stop all this you're scaring people! shock.gif

all i know is that when i use BP for morning AND night

it made my face kinda puffy swullen.. not red swollen but kinda swelled up

but when i stopped it its back to normal

i took a pic of my face during the regime period. and then i compared it with using BP only at night, my face got alot skinnier when  i don't use it.

As far as I have read, the bp used in mice studies was injected directly into already cancerous tumors. These tumors grew faster than the control tumors. However, like this article states, bp does not initiate cancer. Also, I have read articles stating that this mouse study was flawed and never replicated.

Furthermore, can we extrapolate evidence from a flawed study where bp was injected, which we are not doing, into already cancerous tumors, which we hopefully do not have on the top of our skin? I think not. When bp is applied topically it turns into a "harmless chemical" benzoic acid that is "emminently safe". This is according to "Acne and Rosacea, 3rd edition 2000", the largest, most complete and knowledgeable text I have read on acne.

I am personally a good case study, albeit not reliable since I am just one person. I've used bp off and on since middle school, and used generous amounts for the past 7 years. I'm totally old now, 31 :-) At any rate, the areas where I have been applying bp I think actually look less wrinkly, smoother and more even-toned than areas where I have not. Take a look at http://www.acne.org/aboutme.html for a picture of me that is unretouched from about a year ago or so. Note that I use bp on the lower half of my face.

-Dan