Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey i wnt to go vegan. i also want to know if it will help with my acnne, will it?

vegan is where you dont eat meat or any animal products such as milk, cheese, or any dairy.

a vegan diet will help because eating red meat will raise your testosterone levels and also fresh fruit and veggies add alot of nutrients and vitamins you need to be acne free. thats my two cents

a vegan diet will help because eating red meat will raise your testosterone levels and also fresh fruit and veggies add alot of nutrients and vitamins you need to be acne free. thats my two cents

I wish going vegan in the past would have helped me, but it didn't

I even really really want to believe it did, but I'd be lying.

I felt like crap and looked worse than I did if I ate pizza everyday.

It might help you though so give it a try.

the vegan diet probably didnt work for you because either you werent on it long enough OR your acne is purely hormonal. id say about 80% of people that suffer from acne is because its all due to hormonal imbalances.

drop the red meat

eat lean chicken/fish instead

i see no reason for a vegan diet unless you want to be thin and weak (yes i know some have succeeded with gaining muscle on a vegan diet with insane supplementation and meal planning)

reminds me of those who go from a meat eating diet to a vegeterian diet and wonder why their skin goes to shit, because theiy're consuming way more grains/pasta/nuts/seeds/oils

I'm not sure about vegan, but there are some good principles to go by.

Just make sure you cover the entire vitamin spectrum with your diet. I put strong emphasis on vitamin A, especially for skin health, and Omega 3 sources of fats. Also be sure to take some zinc as diets don't have much in them. Carrots, Broccoli, and Spinach are a great start. Also protein rich foods like cyph said. Chicken, turkey, egg whites etc. Fish is a plus if you can put that in your diet.

If you can get all the nutrients to need each day, then it should help, especially if your diet has currently been full of rubbish.

That being said, going vegan can be very hard to get all the nutrients you need, alot of people go for nuts to get their protein as its one of few protein sources in vegan diet, but nuts can have terrible effects on some peoples skin.

It is also very expense to get all the foods you would need to get all your nutrients.

If thats not an issue i guess its worth a try..

IMO going vegan is worse for your skin, your body needs protein to repair itself, skin being the largest organ, I'd say it's pretty important.

I used to only eat fish and tofu as my protein source. But that made me have to eat more grains and beans, which I believe made my skin worse.

Paleo diet is what I believe in :angel:

Hey -

You might see improvement in your skin and you might not. However, you will be improving your overall health by going vegetarian and going towards a vegan-ish diet ---- because you'll stop basing your diet on meat meat meat and cheese cheese cheese...and onto fresh produce. Even going vegetarian/vegan for 3 months will greatly affect your choices.

According to the American Cancer Society, daily consumption of red meat raises colon cancer risk by 40% and eating processed meats raises the risk by 50%, also causing DNA damage.

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) says that meat and dairy cause bones to litterly desolve in the bloodstream because of the high amount of sulfur-containing amino acids in animal protein which is the leading cause of Osteoporosis.

By gravitating your diet towards more fruits and vegetables, you should benefit from your diet.

Do you know about the nutrition factors involved with going vegetarian/vegan? (you know you dont have to worry about lack of protein, right? --- the most basic misconception :P)

i was a vegan for 2 years and saw no difference in my skin,however i dont eat meat now but do eat fish,eggs and dairy.however when i went veggie at 15 it was around the time i started getting acne?mmmm,but i have been intermittently clear veggie with meds.did going veggie cause my acne? who knows.

Hey -

You might see improvement in your skin and you might not. However, you will be improving your overall health by going vegetarian and going towards a vegan-ish diet ---- because you'll stop basing your diet on meat meat meat and cheese cheese cheese...and onto fresh produce. Even going vegetarian/vegan for 3 months will greatly affect your choices.

According to the American Cancer Society, daily consumption of red meat raises colon cancer risk by 40% and eating processed meats raises the risk by 50%, also causing DNA damage.

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) says that meat and dairy cause bones to litterly desolve in the bloodstream because of the high amount of sulfur-containing amino acids in animal protein which is the leading cause of Osteoporosis.

By gravitating your diet towards more fruits and vegetables, you should benefit from your diet.

Do you know about the nutrition factors involved with going vegetarian/vegan? (you know you dont have to worry about lack of protein, right? --- the most basic misconception :P)

Cyph - its not hard to be maintain weight on a vegan diet.

I was 99 pounds when I became a vegan (I'm tiny boned... so I'm thin, but not overly thin) and I'm about 105 lbs right now.

For lunch I went to a restaurant and had some veggie soup (my boyfriend had a mushroom soup) both with salads. For dinner we'll have a chili potato. For breakfast I had oatmeal, sometimes we'll have waffles, pancakes, cereal, etc.

We'll go to Indian restaurants and have lentil soups, chickpea sauces mixed with Jasmin rice.... Or veggie sushi, miso soup, or veggie tempura. I'm a vegan and I STILL have a tendency to gain a few extra pounds every year.

-------------------

I think people would see that veganism is not such a scary thing if you tried it for one month. I also saw a doctor this month for my health. He was completely ANTI-vegan, telling me that I wasnt getting my amino acids from protein. He ran an amino-acid test on me and actually exclaimed aloud, "Wow! Look at those amino acids!" --- I thought he meant I was dying, but he said I had better amino acid balance than most Americans.

If you look on Wikipedia, and type in the names of each amino acid, you'll find there is a vegetable source listed as the "best source" for every amino acid.

i do wonder if my veggie diet is to balme for my acne,i mean i went veggie at 15 around the time i got acne,i dont see how it can be to balme

I was a vegetarian for 4 years age 14-18 and I would say it was a major contributor to my bad digestion and acne (if not the cause). I now have no acne when I eat only meat and fruit (a temp diet until my holistic doctor fixes my adrenal glands and digestions). This is because I can no longer digest carbohydrates and they cause acne in me. I was such a a strong advocate of the vegetarian diet (to save the animals) but those 4 years were the most unhealthy years of my life. I would never recommend such a low-protein diet to anyone, ever. Just don't do it.

After just one month of eating meat I went to the hairdresser and she touched my hair and she was shocked! She asked me what I did do it because it used to be do dry and damaged. Well the only thing I did was I started eating meat, and stopped over loading myself with carbs.

eat organic white meat, fish, not too many carbs and check your digestion. If your skin looks best in the morning there is a good chance your digestion sucks and you need a natural health care practitioner to help you (because a regular MD will have no clue where to start).

Everybody is different. I was vegan for a year and didn't really see a difference for better or worse, but I was thinner and had an easier time going to the bathroom.

If your acne is caused by a dairy allergy, your acne will probably improve.

If your acne is caused by a gluten (like mine is, I believe) then your acne will probably get much, much worse because you'll be eating a ton of whole grains to get iron and protein.

In general, you should just eat as many fruits and vegetables as you can. Don't worry about fat, carbohydrates, or protein - those nutrition details confuse everyone and most nutritionists still disagree on which one we should be "focused" on eating. They are all equally important to being healthy, and eliminating protein, carbs, or fat will certainly lead to health problems. So obviously eating a super low-protein diet can't be good for you, but neither is eating a diet low in fiber and high in cholesterol. In general, plant foods are good for you, so being vegan (especially if you choose organic food) is a great idea if you do it properly.

Listen to your conscience, and your body. If you feel avoiding animal products for a while (or even a long time) genuinely makes you feel good inside & out, then it probably is good for you. But if you feel sick or empty, you should reconsider your lifestyle and make a few adjustments to feel better. Eating as little as one or two hardboiled eggs a day could make a big difference in your health. You don't know until you try.

i just want to say that i think mine is caused by a sensitivity to chlorine added to the water supply. I was reading that symptoms include fatigue. a simple Brita water filter wont take it out and half of the chlorine is absorbed in the shower by the skin into the bloodstream.

I notice that i feel light headed when I use chlorox or any harsh chemicals. One of the signs of chlorine overdose is oily skin that wont stop producing oil.

I knew a Vegan with real bad acne. Maybe it was all hormonal, and beyond what good nutrition can do.. or she ate too much pasta and not enough salad and muesli. :whistle: hahahhhh