Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wondergirl

I'm feeling so down....Please let Mino work.

I'm terribly feeling so down... my acne is not getting any better...been on Minocycline and clindamycin lotion for more than 3 weeks now but still numerous pimples come out everyday....my cheeks are soooo filled with red marks and active pimples.

The sad news is,my dermatologist said she would want to wait on the Mino to work because she said I might have a terrible initial breakout with Accutane because my skin inflames so easily. ](*,) Like a rash surrounds my pimples making them hurt and look worse. She gave me some Prednisone before Christmas and it did help a little with the inflammation but she discourages its long term use because it can actually aggravate acne for some people.

Some guys on the board say it takes like a month for the Mino to kick in but I'm not seeing any remarkable difference. I've also started taking B5 5g a day... I'm not so sure abt megadosing because I'm only 5'2" and 105lbs. I really miss my skin so much....its been a long while since I've felt smooth skin on my face.....the bumps and marks are a constant reminder of how ugly I am.... sad.gifsad.gif

My self esteem has gone soooo low. I cant look at people in the eye when I talk and I have become ANTI-SOCIAL.... and I'm dreading the day when I have to go back to work...w/c is SOON!!! I sometimes ask myself what I did to deserve this. Life is soooo unfair..... ](*,) sad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

This may not be what you want to hear, but it took over a month for me, but I really loved the mino. It helped with my redness, my oil, and my acne. I wished I could have stayed on it forever.

Thanks to mino and Tazorac gel, I have perfect skin.

Please stick with it, for at least 2 or 3 months, unless the side effects are unbearable.

It's only been 3 weeks. There is barely any Rx medication that works that quickly...and it is systemic remember that. The effects are seen rather slowly in some people.

Stick with it, and good luck, the mino really helped when I thought nothing would.

Feel free to pm me if need anymore questions answered, or feel like complaining about things smile.gif

are you referring to the Minocycline oral medication?

i was on mincycline for years; my first trial was very successful but as the medication is flushed out of the system, your acne will flair up again. accutane is a more affective drug, the most potent fighter against acne. besides, Minocycline has one major draw back, your skin complexion will darken.

umm, your skin complexion darkened?? That's because it makes you sensitive to sun -- so therefore it was easier to get tan for you. some people will burn instead.

I took minocycline for 7months. It was really good for the first 5, then i became immune to it. Give it 6-8 weeks to see full effects. I know it's very very hard, and annoying, and depressing -- but try to be happy. The more you feel bad for yourself the more stressed out you become = more pimples. Get out there and have a good time. The first few weeks of mino i was sooo discouraged...but after I picked my head up -- and cleared up.

If you have really bad inflammed cysts, I'm curious as to why your doctor would prescribe you clindamycin topical. It works wonders for some people but isn't the greatest for severe acne. I was prescribed clindamycin topical by my doctor (not derm), and it aggravated my skin even more. Besides, It's not a powerful topical med. The most powerful topical lotion (i believe it's better than all orals too, besides accutane) is tazorac.

Ask your derm about it.

Good luck, keep truckin'

Thanks Marvel.... I hope the Mino will soon kick in.... my right cheek cleared a little last week and I thought I was starting to get better... only to start being worse again.

Thx13.. I would like to be on Accytane but the derm wants to wait because my pimples get really inflamed easily....like allergic rashes.... and she said I might get a real bad initial breakout. So I'm crossing my fingers that Mino would work well for me.

Acne suks, thanks for the info on Tazorac.... I actually called my derm's office when I had the Clindamycin refilled and asked for something stronger but she did'nt change anything when I went to get it from the Pharmacy. I'll definitely ask for Tazorac on my next appt.

This medical condition is so depressing. I just hate waking up in the morning and feel the pain and inflammation on my cheeks. And I hate it when people look at your zits instead of your eyes.... I stopped looking at people's eyes. I hate it when people you know ask "What happened to your face?????"... as if it isnt already obvious. And I hate seeing pity from others when I have already so much for myself. sad.gif

dont worry it took mino about 1-2 months to kick in for me and it did alot of good and the b5 will also kick in about 2-3 weeks

just keep your head up everything will turn out fine

-paul

If your acne is really that bad, i'm still baffled by your derm prescribing you clindamycin and minocycline. Minocycline is only temporary. The initial breakout from accutane is in fact bad, but since your acne is concentrated on your cheeks then you'll clear faster...

Can't she give you predisone (i think that's what it's called?) -- some people take this for about 10 days before their accutane course. It's an anti-inflammatory agent -- good for initial breakout)

Good luck with the tazorac!

Thanks Paul..... I'm trying to really be optimistic 8-[

Acne_suks.... My previous dermatologist told me the Prednisone can help but there can also be a "rebound break out" once the prednisone is stopped.

Its just so damned frustrating.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I'd be happy with a little improvement. Not asking for miracles... but it sure would help to see some steady improvement.. sad.gif

Thanks guys....

hi wondergrl...

my trick is not to look in the mirror !!

i'm serious... it helps.. NO LOOKING ALL DAY !!!!!!

and alittle truth.....

it is only you who notices how bad your acne is (if you thinnk so ).

people really don't care.. thatS what everone was telling me, but i never believed them... i was embaressed, self-conciotion, my self -esteeem was goone...

i took work off like for how long.... i didn't want no one to see me....

but when i really had too.. they don't say a word....at all....only you.

but you know.. they are right, people don't really care..it is only you ..

but i understand what you are taking about..don't worry about school.. go and don't think about it, hard but ..u gotta be strong my dear.. it will go away..

"THOSE WHO BELIEVE, THINGS WILL COME TRUE "

BE STRONG!!

Montreal-ndg.... cant help but smile smile.gif because that's exactly what my mom said___ TO REFRAIN FROM LOOKING IN THE MIRROR!!! And the past two weeks where I didnt have to go out and work ( Christmas vacation) I was pretty fine looking ugly at home . Just faced the mirror in the morning after shower, lunchtime to brush my teeth and at night to do regimen. Didnt attend parties.... excused myself from going out with friends..... stayed home and ate healthy, exercised, rested, and took my medications. [-(

But this coming Monday I have to go back to work and my face just looks the same if not worse.... ](*,) I guess its not true that people don't care.... I used to have clear skin even in my teenage years and I used to look at people with acne and feel sorry for them. I used to look at them, pretend to ignore their pimples and secretly be thankful that I had good skin. But honestly, I felt sorry for them thinking how awful they must feel........ sad.gif and now I'm on the other side of the line..... sad.gifsad.gif

I hate this. I hate my face. I miss what my face used to be. #-o Will I ever have that back? I dont know. I know even after (IF!!!!) I'd get clear, I'd have to deal with the scars and the marks..... and my self esteem. sad.gif

wonder it's okay seriously. Stressing out about it is bad. Stick with your regime, keep your head high. People really don't care that much about acne, honestly. It's a fact that you judge your face 10 times more than anyone else does.

Okay..... I'm gonna stick with it... and I'm gonna be clear- COME HELL OR HIGH WATER, I'M GONNA BE CLEAR BEFORE SPRING!!!!!! The Minocycline will work. The clindamycin ( Or Tazorac if my derm would prescribe it!) will work.... and I'm GOOONNNNAAAA BEEEE CCLEEAARRRR!!!!! biggrin.gif/

It's all in the mind..... I'm gonna be clear. Then I'll worry about the scars.... Then I'll be disciplined enough to keep a regimen that will prevent breakouts..... It's all in the mind, baby!!!! biggrin.gif/ biggrin.gif/ biggrin.gif/

Wondergirl:-

Exactly how long have you had acne?

I was on the Minocin for 6 months,but whats very very important is that you take it at the same time everyday.

I had mine taken within 5 mins of the same time each day and took it after dinner at about 5pm,give or take 5 mins like I said.

This is very important thats its taken at the same time,trust me.

Are you taking it the same time each day?

Also,when I was on it,I just washed my face and put nothing else on it,only some alcohol free aftershave after shaving n that was it.

Its possible your overdoing it with stuff aswell.

Keep it basic while on the Minocin,and like I said just wash ur face,and if u have to,moisturise n thats all u need do,plus ofcourse take ur pil at the same time each day,I have to stress how important this is.

I was on Accutane about 7 years ago and it helped a bit and I managed to keep it moderate for the years that followed.

Then one day I had a bad break out and ended up on Minocin.

I responded to it very well,but maybe having already been on accutane,things werent so bad in the oil production way,so I cleared up quite fast on it.

Minocin is only temporary though and not a cure,because as soon as I stopped it,a week or so later all hell broke loose again and Im back to square one.

Im hoping with you it will be better,but in the long run if it persists,its best to go on the accutane and follow a daily routine of cleanse and moisturise only,nothing else as the drug is harsh.

Minocin is only temporary though and not a cure,because as soon as I stopped it,a week or so later all hell broke loose again and Im back to square one.

Ya,people will react differently to every drug like.....

With me Minocin was best drug I took and it cleared me totally,but once stopped ,it came back.....but that was me,everyone may be different I guess.

Im curious about the Zinc and B5..........where do u get these from Paul and what brands are they?

i get my current zinc from rite aid the brand is gnc and i get my b5 from vitamin world and the brand is vitamin world lol

when i finish my zinc im also gonna buy my next bottle from vitamin world because i really like there products

the zinc is $2.99 and the b5 is $9.99 and you get the secound bottle half off if u sign up with vitamin world =) so far im really loving it o and u wont find b5 listed as b5 it will be under Pantothenic acid

if u need more info on b5 u can ask me or hit me up on AIM my aim is right below my sig or scroll thru the pages of the over the couner products forum u will find lots of stuff

Im at the vitamin world website now...........they sell the b5 in 100mg and 500mg only......so I presume taking 100mg would be the way to go ya?

Also there are various results for zinc .......which is the one to go for? :-k

Thanks.

Im at the vitamin world website now...........they sell the b5 in 100mg and 500mg only......so I presume taking 100mg would be the way to go ya?

Also there are various results for zinc .......which is the one to go for? :-k

Thanks.

nonono not 100mg 500mg lol depending on ur face u will ahve to take at last 5- 15 grams a day and 2 500mg pills = 1 gram if u had the 100mg ones it would take 10 pills for one gram i take 6 or 7 grams a day so thats liek 12 -14 pills a day

in the end 500mg is alot faster to take and alot less stressful i would also click on storelocater ont he website they have 505 stores in the us there are liek 4 of them in my town alone i bet there is at least 1 by you

Antibiotics do nothing agains acne .

Since you are a girl you could use oral antiandrogens, that is the luck of teh girls with acne.

Do some research about antiandrogens like spironolactone and flutamide on www.pubmed.gov

Circle, I've only developed acne since the last year or so.... only had one or two like every two months even during my teenage years. Anyway, they started out as whiteheads and little bumps, then became pustules, then became cysts (in my cheeks!!!!) sad.gif only in a span of about a year. I've tried Proactiv, benzoyl peroxide, salycylic acid, Diane 35 but still my acne came rolling downhill. I dont even know if the stuff I've used made them worse.

I'm on MIno 200mg every day. I take 1 tab at 9am and take the other b/w 9-10pm depending on what time i have my dinner. I'm also taking 5gms of B5 since Dec. 31..... but I havent noticed any difference on the oiliness of my skin yet. Used to take zinc too but I stopped recently because I read somewhere that zinc actually decreases the absorption of Minocycline...

Anyway, I noticed that my pimples get very red and angry when I use Benzoyl Peroxide so I've stopped the Triaz 3% samples the derm gave me. For now I only take :

1. Minocycline 200mg

2. Vit B5 5gms

3. Vit C 1000mg

4. Vit E 400"u"

5. Clindamycin Phosphate 1% lotion

6. Bye bye blemish drying lotion sometimes -spot treatment for pustules.

I've stopped the ff prescription meds:

1. Retin A micro-----made my chin and forehead look sunburnt and blotchy and ever sooooo dry and red...like leathery! Thank heavens I did not put it in my cheeks! =;

2. Benzoyl Peroxide---- makes my pimples angrily red and big! sad.gif

3. Ortho tricyclen -- got shooting pain in my legs :-k

I'll ask about Tazorac on my next derm appt. And maybe Spironolactone because I've been noticing more hair growth in my hairline and my eyebrows seem actually thicker!!!-----hormonal????? Needing Anti-androgen????? :-k :-k

Oh, I also got my B5 from GNC- 100 tabs of 500mg is $8.99. Also ordered from Vitaminworld at $9.99 +shipping.... so I guess I'll just buy again from GNC next time.

Sounds to me like your taking far too much :S.........is all that what ur derm recommended?

I only took Minocin on its own and it worked........so maybe thats all you should take.

Just wash n moisturise and take the minocin and see how that goes.

Maybe its the mixture of stuff ur on thats causing the probs.

when i was on mino i had it with differin retin a micro and a %5 bp wash but if i had 2 redo it all i would have just took mino b5 and zinc

retin a micro blew ass crack and differin was good but not much use 4 it

-paul