Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My dad is very much into nutrition and has all sorts of knowledge about this stuff, he had me start taking zinc many years ago to fend off infections and help my immune system. He had told me that more than 50mg a day is a waste, and if anything will simply give you a metallic aftertaste in your mouth when you eat certain foods. Recently I came across someone saying zinc deficiencies may be linked to acne and without thinking I took 100mg/day for about a month and could NOT figure out why everything tasted funny. Talked to Le dad and yep, he nailed it when I mentioned the supplements I was taking.

HE thinks I should take it two days on/one day off to ward off copper levels dropping but I have yet to do this - I just take them every night as usual. But I NEEEEEEED to get copper. Once I FIND the stupid stuff I will do so.

Interesting stuff, romeo!

Your dad is smart :cool:

Hmm.. calcium. Interesting stuff. I was actually just researching calcium but not connected to zinc. I've been taking calcium supplements for a while cos i cut out dairy.

My multi has 20mg of zinc in it. My diet is pretty good, I try (I forget so many times) to take the calcium and magnesium pills at night. Been bad about my fish oil :doubt: would it be a bad idea for when I go to the walmart to find some 30mg pills and take it in the evening? (I typically take my vitamin in the morning/lunch time depending on mood)

Once again, you've made a great topic.

Apparently foods high in phytate block zinc absorption too.

They chelate metals, as do many other things like Cilantro. Look up Oral Chelation, which will mostly be about Mercury detoxification.

Some Zinc forms are bound with another nutrient such as an amino acid that resists chelation.

Optizinc is bound with L-Methionine. Milk contains things that bind it too, but how well is a question. Look up Zinc Binding Ligands.

This is about milk: http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/114/5/869

Also, if your grains are properly soaked, the phytic acid will be broken down before you eat them. Irisht oats, for example, are traditionally soaked overnight if not longer.

My multi has 20mg of zinc in it. My diet is pretty good, I try (I forget so many times) to take the calcium and magnesium pills at night. Been bad about my fish oil :doubt: would it be a bad idea for when I go to the walmart to find some 30mg pills and take it in the evening? (I typically take my vitamin in the morning/lunch time depending on mood)

Once again, you've made a great topic.

Don't depend on your multi for zinc. Like a post above somewhere, you get only about 20% from it, so you need the zinc supplementation, at least till you naturally grow out of it and can depend on just food and multi's. But right now we need it since we are in a nutritional demanding stage for our development =).

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:UH3uZ7X...;cd=1&gl=uk

Phytic acid is present in things like bread and cereal. Things that have in the past been linked to acne.

Looks like two more things I'll be axing from my menu :|

When I have clear skin later It'll be worth it for sure. :) I eat cereal once or twice a day, this morning actually. And that'll be the last bowl for a good while. And bread, I guess no more sammiches for me.

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:UH3uZ7X...;cd=1&gl=uk

Phytic acid is present in things like bread and cereal. Things that have in the past been linked to acne.

Looks like two more things I'll be axing from my menu :|

When I have clear skin later It'll be worth it for sure. :) I eat cereal once or twice a day, this morning actually. And that'll be the last bowl for a good while. And bread, I guess no more sammiches for me.

I just added them back in a day ago or so, nothing happened. I realized it was because I just ate TOO much wheat based products and almost NO veggies/fruits/zinc at all. After the veggies and zinc, it's been better. So lessen it, just incorporate a full range of food, and you should be fine.

If you've noticed in my sig, i have been getting great results from the atkin's diet but i can't keep it up forever, I don't want to lose weight and it is very impratical. I have very strong willpower and stayed with it absolutely strictly, apart from last weekend when it was special one in a million occasion (18th bday and prom), but i know i can't continue it when i go to uni and basically it doesn't fit into modern life very well.

I've been doing lots of research on B6 and Zinc and they are looking like possibly the type of supplement which will mean i don't need the atkin's diet.

I got lots of interesting quotes i can post soon when i have collected them together from the various sites.

A note on high glycemic load foods:

I noticed my acne getting better in stages, the more glycemic load i removed.

When i stopped eating pasta everyday i stopped getting neck acne.

When i cut out bread and potatoes and pasta, i didn't get neck acne or jawline acne.

But as i've said i can't keep it up forever, i hope this stuff i plan to start will compensate for high glycemic load.

regarding how much copper to balance the zinc, I remember reading somewhere that you don't have to "overdose" on copper if you're "overdosing" on zinc. I remember reading about someone who took 30 mg of zinc (200% dv) a day with 2 mg of copper (100% dv) and achieved great results.

I've read a lot about zinc and I believe it can help with acne sufferers. Unfortunately for me, though, I took 50mg of zinc a day a while back and my acne got progressively worse until I stopped taking it. I wonder if the zinc interacted with doxycycline I'm taking (I took them 6 hours apart most days) and reduced it's effectiveness. If anyone could confirm this, that would be great, because everyone vitamin supplement I have taken has caused me to break out.

regarding how much copper to balance the zinc, I remember reading somewhere that you don't have to "overdose" on copper if you're "overdosing" on zinc. I remember reading about someone who took 30 mg of zinc (200% dv) a day with 2 mg of copper (100% dv) and achieved great results.

I've read a lot about zinc and I believe it can help with acne sufferers. Unfortunately for me, though, I took 50mg of zinc a day a while back and my acne got progressively worse until I stopped taking it. I wonder if the zinc interacted with doxycycline I'm taking (I took them 6 hours apart most days) and reduced it's effectiveness. If anyone could confirm this, that would be great, because everyone vitamin supplement I have taken has caused me to break out.

ah ha! I found it. the answer to many of your questions.

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugp.../zin_0281.shtml

this answers my question of whether tetracyclines react to the zinc, and all of your questions regarding vitamin and mineral supplements.

ive tryed 50 mg zink once and it did appear to help but it also caused a side effect of hypoglycemia so i stoped using it mabie a small dose is best but i dont take zink because i get plenty from diet,

i'm taking a pill of 30mg zinc a day (following the instuctions on the box) and i was just wondering if i should take more. is it bad to overdose on this stuff? any side effects?

ive tryed 50 mg zink once and it did appear to help but it also caused a side effect of hypoglycemia so i stoped using it mabie a small dose is best but i dont take zink because i get plenty from diet,

ok.... so you diagnosed yourself with hypoglycaemia? 'Zink' does not cause you to become hypoglycaemic and there's no way you could have told this and a doctor would not diagnose this.

i take 150 mg zinc a day and i still get pimples ...

50 mg is all you need. Taking 150 is doing more damage than good. More is not better in this case, as it has a specific RDA standard. Those levels will cause other imbalances in other things like copper and cadmium, I believe. So lower your dose.

Also, remember zinc is just one thing, there are many other parts to the equation when you define optimal nutritional health when it comes to acne prevention through diet. :) Most of us taking it here generally also take o3, and have good rich diets. Not saying that you don't either, but just in case, I just have to say it.

i'm taking a pill of 30mg zinc a day (following the instuctions on the box) and i was just wondering if i should take more. is it bad to overdose on this stuff? any side effects?

30 mg should be okay, just do not go above 75-100. 60 mg is okay too, in case, since half will be depleted, and the other half used. (at minimum). But I believe 30 mg is sufficient, technically speaking.

i never took this product but just last night my friend said he uses it when lifting weights & he's been getting incredible horny dreams, lol. So here's the ZMA link.

http://www.fitnessforoneandall.com/supplem...twinlab/zma.htm

You are correct, for those with with too little testosterone, it increases it. For those with too much, it lowers it.

Zinc is necessary to maintain normal serum testosterone.

Regulation and stabilization of testosterone, and also it's conversion to estrogen.

Zinc also inhibits the aromatase enzyme that converts testosterone into excess estrogen.

http://www.advance-health.com/zinc.html

Cool stuff thanks for sharing!

50 mg is all you need. Taking 150 is doing more damage than good. More is not better in this case, as it has a specific RDA standard. Those levels will cause other imbalances in other things like copper and cadmium, I believe. So lower your dose.

30 mg should be okay, just do not go above 75-100. 60 mg is okay too, in case, since half will be depleted, and the other half used. (at minimum). But I believe 30 mg is sufficient, technically speaking.

Where are you getting these numbers from?

Check out this (they were using 600mg daily): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...p;dopt=Abstract

Check out this (they were using 600mg daily): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...p;dopt=Abstract

That's pretty dangerous. I can imagine that it can aid in acne, but it may also cause imbalance to something else causing long term issues.

What is the health risk of too much zinc?

Zinc toxicity has been seen in both acute and chronic forms. Intakes of 150 to 450 mg of zinc per day have been associated with low copper status, altered iron function, reduced immune function, and reduced levels of high-density lipoproteins (the good cholesterol) (34).

http://www.ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/zinc.html

The Upper Level Intake (UL) is 40 mg, while the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) is 11 mg.

So where I got my numbers from where based on that, and how much the body uses:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=1874714

Hope that helps, oh and the other links dealing with the deficiencies.

_

zinc and cadmium

excess zinc in the perfusion medium inhibits cadmium uptake by the live

http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/conte...bstract/1/6/452

zinc and copper

Elevated copper/zinc ratios can be especially serious for persons with low blood histamine (over-methylation). This combination of imbalances has been associated with anxiety, panic disorders, paranoia, and (in severe cases) hallucinations.

http://www.drkaslow.com/html/zinc-copper_imbalances.html

The bone marrow findings in all cases suggested copper deficiency, which was confirmed by further laboratory testing and determined to be due to zinc excess.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/497023

So though I guess none of them actually list how much is taken or what not, I guess 'excess' is in relation to what th UL standard generally is? And how most sites report that copper issues are at a 100+ mg range, a good range is between 40 mg to 100. But just a guess. I'm still primitive in learning about zinc levels and what not, but for now somewhere in that range seems safe.

What are your thoughts?

I do not have hypoglycemia but when u EAT HEALTHY meaning no sugar and grains what ur doing is crefully controlling ur blood sugar instead of spiking it with garbage diets. I get enough zink from diet and taking xtra caused hypoglycemia in my casse because i guess u didnt know zink has a huge influence on INSULIN and blood sugar balance. Do more research. Also im a protein type which means fast oxidiser and protein types do have a tendacy toward low blood sugar and we do best on high fat, high protein low carb diets.

I do not have hypoglycemia but when u EAT HEALTHY meaning no sugar and grains what ur doing is crefully controlling ur blood sugar instead of spiking it with garbage diets. I get enough zink from diet and taking xtra caused hypoglycemia in my casse because i guess u didnt know zink has a huge influence on INSULIN and blood sugar balance. Do more research. Also im a protein type which means fast oxidiser and protein types do have a tendacy toward low blood sugar and we do best on high fat, high protein low carb diets.

You have no idea what you are talking about. "Zink" is not involved with insulin at all. Zink is a zebra. The Mission of Zink the Zebra is to promote the understanding and acceptance of human differences through specially created character education programs that help children and adults realize the necessity to respect and show compassion toward others.

http://www.zinkthezebra.org/

Get your facts straight next time.

That's pretty dangerous. I can imagine that it can aid in acne, but it may also cause imbalance to something else causing long term issues.

What is the health risk of too much zinc?

Zinc toxicity has been seen in both acute and chronic forms. Intakes of 150 to 450 mg of zinc per day have been associated with low copper status, altered iron function, reduced immune function, and reduced levels of high-density lipoproteins (the good cholesterol) (34).

http://www.ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/zinc.html

The Upper Level Intake (UL) is 40 mg, while the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) is 11 mg.

So where I got my numbers from where based on that, and how much the body uses:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=1874714

Hope that helps, oh and the other links dealing with the deficiencies.

_

zinc and cadmium

excess zinc in the perfusion medium inhibits cadmium uptake by the live

http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/conte...bstract/1/6/452

zinc and copper

Elevated copper/zinc ratios can be especially serious for persons with low blood histamine (over-methylation). This combination of imbalances has been associated with anxiety, panic disorders, paranoia, and (in severe cases) hallucinations.

http://www.drkaslow.com/html/zinc-copper_imbalances.html

The bone marrow findings in all cases suggested copper deficiency, which was confirmed by further laboratory testing and determined to be due to zinc excess.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/497023

So though I guess none of them actually list how much is taken or what not, I guess 'excess' is in relation to what th UL standard generally is? And how most sites report that copper issues are at a 100+ mg range, a good range is between 40 mg to 100. But just a guess. I'm still primitive in learning about zinc levels and what not, but for now somewhere in that range seems safe.

What are your thoughts?

I think that you should not take in much more than 40mg daily. If you are going a little higher it probably won't do much damage, if any. It is pretty easy to get 20+mg daily from food alone. Just eat meat with at least 2 of your meals. Or have red meat more frequently. I added mine up yesterday because I was curious and I was gettting around 30mg or more daily.

When they talk about what the upper level intake is they do not count how much is getting absorbed, they just count how much is getting consumed. How much is getting absorbed is probably less than that. So taking more than the upper level intake because you assume it is not getting absorbed is probably not a good idea. Just don't go too far over.

The biggest thing to watch for is stomach problems. If you are starting to feel nausea, or stomach pain, or diarrhea, then stop for a while or cut way back.

I think that you should not take in much more than 40mg daily. If you are going a little higher it probably won't do much damage, if any. It is pretty easy to get 20+mg daily from food alone. Just eat meat with at least 2 of your meals. Or have red meat more frequently. I added mine up yesterday because I was curious and I was gettting around 30mg or more daily.

When they talk about what the upper level intake is they do not count how much is getting absorbed, they just count how much is getting consumed. How much is getting absorbed is probably less than that. So taking more than the upper level intake because you assume it is not getting absorbed is probably not a good idea. Just don't go too far over.

The biggest thing to watch for is stomach problems. If you are starting to feel nausea, or stomach pain, or diarrhea, then stop for a while or cut way back.

Oh! Thanks, that did clear up a few things I was confused about, especially about ingestion vs absorption. 40 mg it is then, going by the UL standard.

You have no idea what you are talking about. "Zink" is not involved with insulin at all. Zink is a zebra. The Mission of Zink the Zebra is to promote the understanding and acceptance of human differences through specially created character education programs that help children and adults realize the necessity to respect and show compassion toward others.

http://www.zinkthezebra.org/

Get your facts straight next time.

HAHA zink the zebra :lol: :lol: