Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Syndey

Who Here would have never taken Roaccutaine in Hindsight

If I had my time over again I would never have taken Roaccutaine in a million years.

I never had really bad acne but at 18 the derm gave it to me and it made by face like a basketball I had some a bad inflammation to it. I thought this was only me but have since found out that quite a few people have this reaction to it. It left me with a number of different scars, pitted and raised which I have had treated over the last ten years. My mum always feels if I had of not taken the drug, I would not have the scars I do today.

If I had my time over again I would have when eighteen gone on an "African Diet" (Read in the Sunday Tele in Sydney how African people do not suffer from acne) like eating only weetbixs, Broccali, Tuna Carrot etc and maybe gone to Cairns Barrier Reef as I find salt water is great for the skin.

For those considering Roaccutaine think very carefully as it may, like it did for me give you scars for the rest of your life, whereas without the drug the Acne may have gone. Always remember SCARS are permanent whereas Acne is not and may go away without the drug. I know someone people have had great reaction to this drug but I certainly did not it made mine about 10 times worse and I had to take a Steriod to even bring the inflammation down.

wow, exactly the same situation as me. I never used to scar at all until i took Roaccutane last year. In the past 12 months i have developed so many scars its untrue. Last year i had acne yes, but noweher near severe....Roaccutane has weakened my skin significantly and i feel very angry that i was given it in the first place. I wouldn`t even be in this forum if i hadn`t taken it, it is a horrible, evil drug and should be banned from this earth.....I should also note that i believe it has made my skin worse as far as acne goes. It simply did not work for me at all and has caused all sorts of problems. It is my firm belief that ONLY people with severe cystic acne that is already scarring them should take this and NO ONE ELSE!!!!!

I have made a promise to myself that if i see my ex-dermatologist who prescribed me this drug, crossing the road i am going to mow her down like a deer. Luckily nearly all of my scars are located where i can grow hair to hide it, or will be able to in future, but i shouldn`t have to!

I took Accutane in high school (8 years ago), and it was the best thing I could have ever done. I have scars, sure, but I'd much rather have the scars than a face covered in pimples.

Accutane is a risky drug, sure, and it's important to understand the risks before you start it, but it does really, really help some people.

-k

Thats very intresting John about the African diet. I never heard that before, glad you mentioned it.

I remmember reading in 2 or 3 medical sites that ACNE is more prevalent with people eating modern western foods. People in the past had less ACNE and people who come from overseas get ACNE after switching to western diet.

I also read that ACNE is most prevalent among Caucasians and that Native Americans had virtually no cases of ACNE and only started to get it after adopting western foods and intermixing. The articles I read also said that Black people also have very few cases of ACNE.

Ofcourse there are people in all races who get it, but the articles said it was mostly found in caucasians and was rare among Blacks and Native Americans.

If anyone is intrested, I could try and find these articles.It will take me awhile though cause I didn't bookmark them.

Well thats the thing guys Roaccutaine gives you these really wierd type scars, sort of like wrinkled skin makes you look so much older than you are. Like raised scars above the surface. I agree with the person who said they would run their Derm over. Roaccutaine as a drug is so unpredicable and people react so differently to it. Those people who stick up for it give me the sh%^^ts as it is ok for them but they show no understanding to the people who it stuffed up. Unless a drug is 100% effective on everyone it should not be used or only for the most sevvere cases not mild/to moderate. Imagine is someone said look your acne will go by itself by the time your 25 of you can take this drug and it will get rid of your acne but will scar you for life --- what choice would you make?

I honestly believe that there are very natural ways of getting rid of Acne rather than this drug. This diet thing from Africa was so interesting and in my opinion it made a lot of sense. If only I knew then what I know now.

Hey guys

I hate to break it to you but the diet is not what keeps the africans from breaking out it genetics. sorry but correlation doesnt prove causation. they have actually mapped a gene that is responsible for acne and found that many island dwelling cultures are completely acne free.

Unless a drug is 100% effective on everyone it should not be used or only for the most sevvere cases not mild/to moderate.  .

Hey guys 

I hate to break it to you but the diet is not what keeps the africans from breaking out it genetics. sorry but correlation doesnt prove causation. they have actually mapped a gene that is responsible for acne and found that many island dwelling cultures are completely acne free.

if your acne is severe or persistent, there is nothing better than roaccutane to get the spots under control. It has really reduced my acne. However, i would probably agree the spot thereafter may scar worse after roaccutane, however i am not entirely sure about this. It is probably due to the skin being less oily, and also as u age, skin is has a greater tendency to scar, than heal. I loved roaccutane though, it helped ge my spots under control. The scrring i have had after roaccuatne is nothing compared to the scars i had before, which are still causing problems. My advise would be to take roaccutane before the acne begins to form scarring, the scar will evenually form pits.

I totally agree...Accutane scarred me horribly for life. Even more devistating is that people on accutane risk even more scarring from corrective procedures such as dermabrasion. I am beginning to realize there are very few if anything that can be done for people in my situation. And yes I am continuing to develop nerw scars. My skin is so much weaker

Acne causes scars not Roaccutane. Roaccutane may cause a flare up or break out, but in and of its self it cannot cause scarring. Acne causes scarring.

I know peeps who have never taken Roaccutane and have some deep scars.

I have some deep scars and I never took Roaccutane/Accutane - but I'm pretty sure my skin would be much worse and with more scars had I been on it.

I'm so glad that no derm/doc ever recommended it to me!

And about diet - I am one of those that 100% believes that acne is caused by a combination of wrong diet and too much stress (correction - we can stop acne (imbalance of hormones) by changing our diet/thoughts/behaviour) ......... BUT, at the same time, I also believe that you have to have a genetic predisposition to acne in the first place.

Funny, I was just talking with my dad about this yesterday (he's a retired derm) and it's true, all the things that break us out, you can cover someone who is not predisposed to having acne - and there is no way they will get acne.

The western diet is the main culprit I would say. It annoys me (very much) that doctors/derms don't have much of a clue about diet.

I was just reading the Mayo clinic overview of ACNE and they say its not a serious medical problem. I think everybody here would like to set Mayo straight.

Billions is spent on research for cancer and a whole host of medical problems; why can't the Medical establishment and pharmecuticals devote more attention to ACNE. I am sure whoever comes up with a very effective anti-acne solution and scar sollution would make a bundle.

I agree with you on this. I think acne needs to be recognized as a disease, and one that can be disfiguring. People whom have never had acne don't get it at all. I think most of us here are fairly young. That makes us the future leaders of our societies. We can change things. If any of you are unsure of a major, and science interests you, go major in it, and start researching acne/scarring if it interests you. Alternatively, if you end up knowing people in power, whether it be political, medical, or a CEO of an HMO talk to them about the problem, and try to get them to a place where they are more aware of the issue. This may seem far fetched, but when you get older, you tend to meet people like this.

Maybe we can start an acne awareness group. We can try to let people who can change things know what's going on. Maybe there is a scientist that wants to research this, but can't get a grant. If we get enough people interested(especially if they're registered to vote), we can take it to our congressmen. They might have a child who is suffering from acne and want to help.

Maybe we should just try to do something--even if it doesn't work, or seems silly in theory.

Hey guys